Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 PM

330 posts, read 726,202 times

Advertisements

So I recently purchased the house I'm in now and the back yard is a wreck. I want to put in a new fence between my house and the house behind me. In order to do this I must remove two bushes and one viney bush/plant. The vines on this thing are inches in diameter and thorny and have grown into the yard behind my yard. It appears that it's been this way for a VERY long time as the vines in my neighbors yard take up quite a large space. My question is when I remove my vine bush do I just cut the vines at the property line and leave what's in the neighbors yard? I don't know the person behind me, and I wonder if they'd even notice.

For the record the house behind me is not taken care of at all and the yard is a mess. I suspect it's a rental but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Carte Blanche herbicide this year. Fence and landscape next year.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
I would pull back to you what you can, but what are you supposed to do?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
You can trim up to your property line, but if the vines are causing grief just spray them dead.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
Might I recommend bamboo? Right after you defoliate your side of the fence, plant a rear perimeter row (or line), of bamboo.
Why should, in this economy, you be forced into spending your life's savings on a PVC or galvanized, chain-link fence, when
with the help of mother nature, you can grow the best line of primary defense from your invading neighbor. Sure, it'll affect their
plans for overtaking your property with some nasty clinging vine, the tentacles which threaten your peace of mind, even unto your
property edge, you must show these neighbors that it is YOU who holds the upper hand here.

As I re-read your comment, I cannot help but think of "the little shop of horrors", the whole premise that a plant would ultimately
overtake you, drive you out to an internet site and pose a question that only a moron like myself would respond to. I've smoked so much
pot tonight that I feel like a laboratory monkey caught up in Charles Darwin's early experimentation with the very nature of mankind,
to gravitate toward hallucinogenic substances, and to do this without shame. If, to your neighbor you have been discounted for both
feelings and property rights, I can only hope that you arrive at an understanding that you DO have rights. I'd be going down to the local
nursery and getting some bamboo cuttings. You can always take the upper hand, not necessarily the high road but certainly the winning
position in the fight for the fence. I surely do hope that everything goes well for you. I had a few beers tonight. Cheers!

Old 04-16-2011, 03:02 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
Regardless of who lives in the other home the good neighborly action would be to remove as much of the brush on both sides as possible especially if bush is rooted on your property. Bamboo though it looks nice and creates a great barrier has a very invasive root system and is near impossible to remove.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
I would just cut it at your property line,if the neighbor has never trimed it he/she most likely does not care and never will.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 AM

330 posts, read 726,202 times
Thanks for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island