Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM

29 posts, read 106,918 times

Advertisements

Normally I don't get too concerned about what my neighbors do but this one bothers me. I just received a letter from the Town of Hempstead that a neighbor who's back yard faces mine wants a variance for a fence a shed and to keep a dump truck in there backyard. Now it is only the dump truck that bothers me. If I go to the variance meeting at the town is my neighbor going to be there. If I object do they not get the variance or is there away around it for them. I just don't want to sit on my deck and look at a truck.
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Call the town of Hempstead and ask for the department which handles variances. Speak with someone there and ask if you can handle your concerns via mail as you do not want your neighbor to know you object in order to avoid future conflicts.

If you are allowed to do this by mail, take photos of their yard from your deck to support your objection. Learn your zoning. If you and your neighbor are zoned residential, you can bring up the issue of someone running a commercial enterprise from a residentially-zoned property.

Also, look into Town Code as to how big a vehicle can be kept on private property. A dump truck must easily exceed the GVW permitted by most towns.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,396,894 times
My architect explained a bit about the variance process to me as he thought I might need one for my deck (it turns out I don't). He did say that the homeowner attends the hearing and the neighbors have a right to attend as well and, of course, either object or give their approval. He explained to me what would happen if they didn't object and went on from there about the rest of the process. You obviously object to what your neighbor wants to do so I'd think you could squash his plans right at the variance hearing. I don't blame you for objecting since his plans do sound quite tacky and unappealing but it'll probably make for an awkward vibe when you see each other from your yards. I suppose you have to give him credit for going about it the right way instead of just doing it straight away.

Both of my neighbors did things they should've gotten variance for and now I know they didn't since I never got a certified letter from the town. The neighbor on my left put up a 6 foot fence and the neighbor on my right put up a 6 foot fence and installed a jacuzzi less than 5 feet from the property line. My architect said any fence over 4 feet and a jacuzzi less than 5 feet from the property line requires variances. I could be a rat and snitch on them but honestly neither thing bothers me so I haven't said a word to the town. I happen to prefer the high fences anyway because I don't have to see my neighbors! Of course they'll have to deal with these things whenever they go to sell their home.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Speak with someone there and ask if you can handle your concerns via mail as you do not want your neighbor to know you object in order to avoid future conflicts.
That's a good idea, however, it'll still be pretty easy to figure out who it was. My architect told me certified letters only go out to whoever your property touches so in most cases this will be about three homeowners. So yes, remaining anonymous is possible but it'll be a relatively low threshold of anonymity. Hey, it's better than nothing though! I wouldn't want to object face to face at a hearing either.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
That's a good idea, however, it'll still be pretty easy to figure out who it was. My architect told me certified letters only go out to whoever your property touches so in most cases this will be about three homeowners. So yes, remaining anonymous is possible but it'll be a relatively low threshold of anonymity. Hey, it's better than nothing though! I wouldn't want to object face to face at a hearing either.
I can't speak for the letter process in Hempstead, but in Brookhaven the letters go to all neighbors within (foggy here as it's been a few years) 150 or 200' of the property line. In my case, I contacted people who did not share a property line but were within that required radius.

I was sent letters to people across the street, people who lived behind the people across the street, people to the sides, people to the sides of the people to the sides, people across the street from the people to the sides, people to the rear and people across the street from the people in the rear. In my case, I learned after I was granted my variance that one neighbor considered complaining -- one who lived across the street from the people to the side of me. We would have expected a neighbor to the side where the proposed structure was to be built, not his neighbor across the street.

Granted anonymity isn't guaranteed in these situations, but if possible it is better to have the variance applicant guessing which of X number of people opposed the variance.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I can't speak for the letter process in Hempstead, but in Brookhaven the letters go to all neighbors within (foggy here as it's been a few years) 150 or 200' of the property line. In my case, I contacted people who did not share a property line but were within that required radius.
Trying to remain anonymous would definitely work better where you live. Like Al, the OP, I'm in the Town of North Hempstead and my architect was telling me the process specific to where we live. Here only the neighbors whose property lines physically touches ours are notified via certified letter. I like the way your town does it better!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,496,104 times
You must protest it, I would do it in person and plead your case. If you don't complain, they will most likely grant his variance. Bring photos from you deck so they can see your view.

I would also speak to the homeowner to see what exactly he is doing. Maybe you can reach a compromise.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,521,804 times
All my neighbors including us protested the many things our neighbors wanted a variance for. He got the variances.

Not sure complaining does any good.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
All my neighbors including us protested the many things our neighbors wanted a variance for. He got the variances.

Not sure complaining does any good.
Wow, that's a bummer. It should mean something if neighbors object.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,710,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
$$ talks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island