Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,198 times

Advertisements

Our track team ran through Brookhaven State Park on a daily basis. Of course sometimes a hunter would jump out and pull his rifle on us, but I have great memories in that park. Like someone else said, they can't really keep you out of there. How will closing it save any money? It's undeveloped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Apparently now there is an [URL="http://www.newsday.com/long-island/long-islanders-rally-to-save-parks-from-closing-1.1766625"]effort to save them[/URL].

From the article:

"Members of a Long Island state parks advisory committee Wednesday pledged to look for ways to keep budget cuts from closing facilities.

Meanwhile, other park supporters have scheduled rallies for Sunday at Brentwood State Park and the following Saturday at Heckscher State Park to oppose any closings."

Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM

120 posts, read 217,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
if you're buying a house because of "parks and school' let me tell you, don't. parks are nothing to rave about. most of them have you pay to enter (yes, you read right, PAY), and schools are nothing to write home about. we send our kids to private school. i think long islanders have never left the island to see how schools are in other states. they'd be in for a shock if they did.
I enjoy all the parks and beaches in Massapequa. the only beach in massapequa we have to pay for is Tobay's, and thats it we dont bring our boat.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO RIDER View Post
I enjoy all the parks and beaches in Massapequa. the only beach in massapequa we have to pay for is Tobay's, and thats it we dont bring our boat.
Tobay is about $35/year for a car. Totally worth it and I love the spray park they added. The pass also covers Florence beach and others.

What do they hit you for the boat?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
Quote:
the closest beach for me is smithpoint, and we pay for it. the closest park is well i don't know the name but you pay for it. I love paying for everything (NOT).

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
No government employee will take a pay cut or give up a raise, so that issue is moot.
We got real lucky with stopping Schmitt and co. in Nassau with their crap, but the the stars were aligned for that. Payroll makes up a huge chunk of government spending, but it's the last place they'll cut the fat.
So in order for all these fat cats to keep up with their lifestyle, the people are the ones who have to sacrifice.

Too bad government officials don't heed the words of Mr. Spock...
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one"

Egad, Mr Spock and the people of Vulcan are well known commies who believe in thinging things out logically. This is really un-American.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Tobay is about $35/year for a car. Totally worth it and I love the spray park they added. The pass also covers Florence beach and others.

What do they hit you for the boat?

its free. you just toss your anchor and go to the northside via the tunnel.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
its free. you just toss your anchor and go to the northside via the tunnel.
nothing is free...someone, IS paying for it

Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I don't understand what closing the parks is going to accomplish anyway.
Actually, I'm quite lazy lately, so I really haven't researched this whole issue very well. What exactly are they proposing?
Complete shut down and sale/development of property or park purgatory?
That would make sense financially maybe...
But to just lock the gates and not let anyone in?
Unless they are prepared to just let them waste away and become overgrown wastelands, they will still need to have employess to maintain the grounds, which duh, costs money.
That's like cuttin off your nose to spite your face.
Even the freebie parks, the grounds and buildings will still have to be maintained.
Charge a fee or raise the existing fees. People will still complain, but to just pull the plug makes no sense.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nothing is free...someone, IS paying for it
I guess the boatowner is if he's paying for the gas!

just like if you take your boat to Jones, you can hear the concerts for free, from the comfort of your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island