Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 PM

73 posts, read 265,018 times

Advertisements

Wow X...thanks!! I take everything you wrote to heart and am going to get started right away!!!! I'm gonna tackle my sons room tomorrow and the dining room. Again I say "Damn that HGTV channel!" I took that green color right from Take This House and Sell It. Bad move. You did open my eyes about the micro cart. I figured it would've cleared up the counter space. I have a cute bistro table that would fit there. I just wanted to clear the room to show the size. We don't eat in there because we have the separate dining room. I just told my husband today that I want to move the 2 curios out of the dining room. That'll be his job (heh heh heh). He is also going to tackle the backyard too. My only dilemma is the kids are always playing back there and, since it's been nice, are in the pool everyday. I do want you to know that I DO value your opinion. I don't want sugar coating...I WANT TO SELL MY HOUSE!! Thanks so so sooooo much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 AM

103 posts, read 654,041 times
Best of luck, jgennaro. There really is nothing quite as stressful as selling your home.

Remember after decluttering, painting, etc to take new pictures and have them put up. You want people to view your house. The more people who view, the better your chance of an offer.

BTW, sometimes people make changes (ie your daughter's toys) just for the pictures. After the pictures are taken, return some toys to her room and just do a scoop and hide when you have a showing. The backyard toys are a little tougher. Since you want an illusion of more space, you definitely want all the toys removed from the picture. I wouldn't return everything for the kids to play with because it will clutter up the back when you have a viewing (hard to just stuff a playhouse away), but people do live in this home and children do indeed need to play!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:21 PM

73 posts, read 265,018 times
Hey X....you are the best!!!! I took your advice and got extremely inspired! I took the curios out and the room just opened up! Then I took down all the decals down from my son's room...my daughter was upset that she couldn't take hers down. So.....I told her let's go for it. We started taking them down but the walls were sooooo bad. I wound up reeapinting the ceiling and top half white and a really nice "parchment" creme color. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I deluttered everything...just like you said. I also took down the pics on the mantle and replaced them with "Faberge" eggs....obviously not real ones but they look very nice. I can't thank you enough. You really were my inspiration. Hopefully the open house tomorrow will do something....anything LOL. Thank you again and I'll let ya know how it goes.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:23 AM

103 posts, read 654,041 times
I am so glad you noticed a difference! Let's hope a buyer does too.

Best of luck on your Open House.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 AM

66 posts, read 295,229 times
reej,

I don't doubt the house is gorgeous but I did some research on your past posts and I hate to say it but I don't really see the demand for a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath house in Westtown. More specifically I don't see the price range your home is likely in being highly populated by people who can afford it and are willing to commute to New York City. The taxes are on the high side, Westtown is rural and you can find comparable housing closer to the city. Most of my clients are looking for four bedrooms and see five as being a bonus but very few are specifically looking for a five bedroom.

Overall what I'd suggest is that you and your husband need to come up with a selling plan with your Realtor and then try to sell your house at the right price once and for all. Having to lower the price $35,000 is a sure sign of market rejection which does make me wonder if your Realtor overpriced it to begin with. Just so you know the fact that your home has been on the market for so long has also hurt it's chances of selling for top dollar.

It may also be time to find another listing agent. My uncle listed his house (he was overpricing it with a Realtor he found because I refuse to refer sellers with an overpriced goal stuck in their head to my listing agent network) and has since lowered the price $20,000. As for the Realtor? They hate her too. You have to interview the best Realtors for the task of selling your home. If the Realtor is just glossing over the facts and willing to list at any price you deem acceptable then they aren't likely to do a great job when it comes to marketing and negotiating on the sale of your home.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:42 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,468 times
jgennaro, I wish you the best of luck selling your house. You've worked hard and got some great advice. Please keep us posted!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:53 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgennaro View Post
Hey X....you are the best!!!! I took your advice and got extremely inspired! I took the curios out and the room just opened up! Then I took down all the decals down from my son's room...my daughter was upset that she couldn't take hers down. So.....I told her let's go for it. We started taking them down but the walls were sooooo bad. I wound up reeapinting the ceiling and top half white and a really nice "parchment" creme color. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I deluttered everything...just like you said. I also took down the pics on the mantle and replaced them with "Faberge" eggs....obviously not real ones but they look very nice. I can't thank you enough. You really were my inspiration. Hopefully the open house tomorrow will do something....anything LOL. Thank you again and I'll let ya know how it goes.
Make sure your relator is aggressively advertisng in Queens. Compared to the prices there, LI prices almost look reasonable. Throw an ad in the Daily News on Friday, and see what happens. If your town is known to be "iffy" by Li'ers, they won't be looking, so get some out of the area people interested who don't know the difference.
Good Luck

Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshNHR View Post
reej,

I don't doubt the house is gorgeous but I did some research on your past posts and I hate to say it but I don't really see the demand for a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath house in Westtown. More specifically I don't see the price range your home is likely in being highly populated by people who can afford it and are willing to commute to New York City. The taxes are on the high side, Westtown is rural and you can find comparable housing closer to the city. Most of my clients are looking for four bedrooms and see five as being a bonus but very few are specifically looking for a five bedroom.

Overall what I'd suggest is that you and your husband need to come up with a selling plan with your Realtor and then try to sell your house at the right price once and for all. Having to lower the price $35,000 is a sure sign of market rejection which does make me wonder if your Realtor overpriced it to begin with. Just so you know the fact that your home has been on the market for so long has also hurt it's chances of selling for top dollar.

It may also be time to find another listing agent. My uncle listed his house (he was overpricing it with a Realtor he found because I refuse to refer sellers with an overpriced goal stuck in their head to my listing agent network) and has since lowered the price $20,000. As for the Realtor? They hate her too. You have to interview the best Realtors for the task of selling your home. If the Realtor is just glossing over the facts and willing to list at any price you deem acceptable then they aren't likely to do a great job when it comes to marketing and negotiating on the sale of your home.
Awesome advice....actually we are the few that are looking for a 5 bedroom 3 1/2 bath home....4 is minimum..but 5 is ideal in that we have 3 kids.

But the commute for us is maxed out at monroe. Closer if possible. We know of many people that purchased out in the boonies..and they are hurting now because of the market and stuff..or they HATE the commute that they signed up for...its just yet another thing to think of when you purchase. But again, hindsight is always 20/20

Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Default Subtle bigotry in Islandia

I've seen your home as well and I'm glad your leaving.It's people like you with subtle bigotry in your heart that makes Islandia undisirable.You and others like you who throw up your hands because of your inability to live peacefully with the human family.There is no loud or disturbing behavior here in Islandia and very little crime yet you decided in all your genius,to put down the village and try to sell your house simultaneously.Did you ever think your mouth is why you cant sell your house?You and people like you in the village are driving your own property value down by stigmatizing a very nice place to live!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgennaro View Post
Good luck to you.....hope by now you have a buyer on the hook

PS....I thank you all for the great tips, will keep them in m ind as I ready my house for sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island