Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
St. Dom's isn't exactly the best catholic HS either. St. Dom's and Holy Trinity (and even St. Mary's to some extent) are known as public schools with uniforms.
Wow, really? I remember definitely about Holy Trinity....I remember hearing that school was like a public school way back when. I didn't think St. Dom's was like that. Oh well. Guess you learn something new everyday. I personally wouldn't categorize St. Dom's with Chaminade or St. Anthony's anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM

217 posts, read 254,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Wow, really? I remember definitely about Holy Trinity....I remember hearing that school was like a public school way back when. I didn't think St. Dom's was like that. Oh well. Guess you learn something new everyday. I personally wouldn't categorize St. Dom's with Chaminade or St. Anthony's anyway.
All the rich kids who got booted from Chaminade ended up going to st doms to finish out their HS careers... and most of the time they were booted for drugs.

If your kids can get into Chaminade, Kellenberg, Sacred Heart, OLM or St Anthony's, sending them to any of those schools will only benefit them.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Any comments on the difference between private Catholic schools and Diocesan Catholic schools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
like which ones? I can't think of any.
Chaminade and Kellenberg are private, run by a religious order, the Marianist Brothers. They don't take non-Catholics. As far as I know most of the other Catholic High schools do, including other private schools run by religious orders like St. Anthony's which is run by the Franciscan Friars.

Holy Trinity and McGann-Mercy are Diocesan.

The only private (non-diocesan) Catholic grade school I can think of is Holy Child in Old Westbury. One difference between Holy Child and the diocesan parochial schools is that it's not connected to a parish and the diocese doesn't have any input into its finances.

Last edited by gk90; 02-21-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 09:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Chaminade and Kellenberg are private ...
Thank you, gk90.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 PM

You're welcome Walter.

In terms of cost, Holy Child is much more expensive than the parochial grade schools--around $16,000 /yr vs. $5,000/yr., though they do have an impressive campus with a pool and generous financial aid for families with demonstrated need.
There's no significant difference in costs between LI Catholic private & diocesan high schools, they're all around $7,000-8,000/yr.

As for the original question, yes, Catholic high schools are popular. Here are application figures for Chaminade:
"more than 1,600 boys from as far as Manhattan and Westchester County applied last year for 425 freshman seats at Chaminade, which many consider one of Long Island’s premier private schools"
from a NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/ny.../28cathli.html

Last edited by gk90; 02-21-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM

128 posts, read 322,982 times
How are the catholic high schools on the east end of LI

Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM

I know of students from Riverhead and Yaphank who come all the way to Chaminade and Sacred heart, which must mean that they think these schools are worth the commute compared to the east end schools. Isn't McGann-Mercy the only east end school anyway? YOu might want to start a new post with McGann Mercy in the title?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Mercy mcGann is getting there. It has about 450 students and starts in 7th grade. You can send your child there in 7th grade and they can take advantage of the high school things there. The diocese has poured a lot of money into it and it has improved lots. Many children I know went and still go there and are very happy.

it is the only catholic school we get bussing to so it is a contender if we can afford it. I believe it is about $7500 a year.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 AM

136 posts, read 492,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
St. Dom's isn't exactly the best catholic HS either. St. Dom's and Holy Trinity (and even St. Mary's to some extent) are known as public schools with uniforms.
LOL - I am a graduate (in the 90s) of one of these schools and back then it was certainly a "public school with a uniform" (LOL). The main reason I was sent to Catholic school was because of the school district I was in.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 AM

28 posts, read 74,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Chaminade and Kellenberg are private, run by a religious order, the Marianist Brothers. They don't take non-Catholics.
Slight correction, Catholics are given priority, but they certainly do accept non-Catholic students. In my class (Kellenberg '99), there were quite a few Protestant students and at least one student who was Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island