Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp328 View Post
Slight correction, Catholics are given priority, but they certainly do accept non-Catholic students. In my class (Kellenberg '99), there were quite a few Protestant students and at least one student who was Jewish.
I'm not sure this is true for Chaminade. My son went there and they insisted on seeing his Catholic baptismal certificate as a condition of admission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 AM

36 posts, read 104,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Right now my kids go to elementary catholic school. I love it ; they are disciplined, wear uniforms, and are doing well. One does get resource for reading and is ahead with other subjects., the other is ahead of his grade in most things.

Hoewver, at high school they will probably be going to public school ; why ; economics. There is no way I can afford to pay $1600 a month for two in high school. That kind of money is outrageous. I am disappointed that I wont be able to provide a education that the kids want ; they both want to go to parochial high school.

Right now their classes are good. one has 19 and the other has 22 in their class. There has only been one teacher that we have had a problem with, all the others have been utterly fantastic.

Why don't you just have them apply for scholarships?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp328 View Post
Slight correction, Catholics are given priority, but they certainly do accept non-Catholic students. In my class (Kellenberg '99), there were quite a few Protestant students and at least one student who was Jewish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm not sure this is true for Chaminade. My son went there and they insisted on seeing his Catholic baptismal certificate as a condition of admission.
jp328, things have changed since 1999--I don't know when it happened but in November 2009 I attended an information session run by Kellenberg at a Catholic elementary school. A non-Catholic family asked whether Kellenberg would admit their daughter and the answer given by the Marianist brother heading the session was that they only take baptized Catholics--so it looks like their policy is in line with Chaminade's now.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 PM

36 posts, read 104,816 times
From the Kellenberg website

General Information (http://www.kellenberg.org/informat.html#General Policies - broken link)

[LEFT]Kellenberg Memorial High School admits students of any race, color, sex national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities of the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, disabilities, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial policies, activities, athletics or other school administered programs. Kellenberg Memorial High School welcomes students of all ethnic groups, recognizing their valuable contribution to the life of the school in particular and the nation in general.

Kellenberg Memorial High School is a Catholic coeducational school. It was founded to serve the Catholics of Long Island and has enjoyed their support and assistance. Accordingly, priority in admissions is given to baptized members of the Roman Catholic Church. Enrollment is open to young men and women who are professing Christians as resources permit, with the priority given to Catholic students.
[/LEFT]

Old 04-27-2010, 01:39 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybunnie View Post
From the Kellenberg website
Accordingly, priority in admissions is given to baptized members of the Roman Catholic Church. Enrollment is open to young men and women who are professing Christians as resources permit, with the priority given to Catholic students.
[/LEFT]
Thanks for the quote, interesting discrepancy with what was said by the Marianist Brother. Hmmm...maybe he said that they don't accept non-Catholics not because it's a policy but because in practice there's no room for them? There are so many Catholic applicants--if they're given priority over non-Catholics, then basically they're taking up all the possible slots for non-Catholics who are admitted only "as resources permit"?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Send your kids to public school or private non religous school you're better off...went to catholic school for 12 yrs what a waste and they brainwashing never got to me. I'm my own Guru and I folllow my own path in life .........my opinion all reglions are cults

Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM

28 posts, read 74,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
[M]aybe he said that they don't accept non-Catholics not because it's a policy but because in practice there's no room for them? There are so many Catholic applicants--if they're given priority over non-Catholics, then basically they're taking up all the possible slots for non-Catholics who are admitted only "as resources permit"?
I wouldn't doubt this to the case. My brother graduated a number of years after me and he kept telling me about the large changes in class sizes. I don't doubt that they've reached a point where they're filling their classes with Catholics and thus don't admit non-Catholics as a practical matter.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I just have a quick question about homework. How many hours per day of homework do parochial schools assign to elementary students (K to 5)?

Is it typically one hour or does it stretch up to 2 hours or more?

I understand that this is case to case but I just want to get a rough estimate.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I don't get why parents would want to send their kids to Catholic school. The main reasons you always hear are:

Discipline (you should be teaching your own child discipline and respect -- besides that, there isn't all that much "discipline" in Catholic schools anymore)

Education (definitely NOT ahead of the public schools. Public school classes are on-par or ahead of Catholic School AND they get a much more well-rounded education since there are many things the Catholic Schools are restricted from teaching)

Uniforms (okay, so get your child dark blue or khaki pants/skirts and a white or light blue top -- buy them at Children's Place for 1/2 the price of the Catholic School uniform place)

Catholic School is truly a waste of time and money. Save that money and put it toward your child's college fund. It would go to much better use that way.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:20 PM

88 posts, read 249,193 times
What a completely generalized answer with little basis in fact or even convincing fiction. Catholic school is neither a waste of time nor money. It is a personal choice and many who have either attended or sent their child to a Catholic school see a great benefit.
1. The ability to teach morality- for the above poster I'll simplify that to "right and wrong". If you are dissatisfied by the fact that public schools hands are tied in terms of disciplining students and want your child to be exposed to faith-based experiences in their everyday lives, Catholic schools win hands down. A public school in Beverly Hills, Ca disciplined a student for posting a mean-spirited, bullying, YouTube video. That school was sued by the parent of the bully because the bullying happened "outside of school" and the school did not have jurisdiction. The parent of that disgusting child won and the school had to pay over $100,000 of the parent's legal fees. There is no "outside of the school" in Catholic school. Your faith-based life and your school are the same. Of course bullying happens in Catholic school, it happens everywhere. But the school officials can do something about it.
2. Education can most definitely be ahead of the public schools. The high school I attended had a humanities program that no public school in Western Suffolk County could touch. Catholic schools in New York City and Long Island areas with deficient public education have been offering minority students a chance to learn and to succeed for decades.
Obviously the poster who dismissed Catholic schools as a compete waste of time never acquired the critical thinking skills a good public school should have equipped him or her with. Hyperbole and generalizations- you can get those at any crap institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island