U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 AM
 
1,815 posts, read 5,126,156 times
Reputation: 780

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house that is in an area called German Gardens in Yaphank. Seems like a quiet little neighborhood, but I don't know much about the area at all. Anyone like to chime in?

Also, there looks to be a horse farm there, but since I didn't see any horses I'm wondering if that is more land that has fallen to the developers. There are some new McMansions across from the horse farm, I'm wondering if the same builder plans to build more of them? Anyone know?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 PM
 
7,658 posts, read 17,996,405 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I'm looking at a house that is in an area called German Gardens in Yaphank. Seems like a quiet little neighborhood, but I don't know much about the area at all. Anyone like to chime in?

Also, there looks to be a horse farm there, but since I didn't see any horses I'm wondering if that is more land that has fallen to the developers. There are some new McMansions across from the horse farm, I'm wondering if the same builder plans to build more of them? Anyone know?
Stay in Beautiful RP Cowgirl.
People are dumping properties over there.

Levyville is coming.
http://www.yaphankcivic.com/
Despite the spin...the fix is in.

RUN!

Crooks

PS

How do y0u feel about aging Nazis or High density affordable housing?
; )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 27,794,985 times
Reputation: 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
How do y0u feel about aging Nazis ...
.
.
The German American Bund
.
.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Putnam County, NY
556 posts, read 1,950,527 times
Reputation: 428
Walter, which is a greater sin, forgetting the Nazi past or identifying a location as being in a non-conforming postal zone"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 PM
 
1,815 posts, read 5,126,156 times
Reputation: 780
Ok, so German Gardens is out then. As I said, I didn't know much about the area, and am not pleased with the links that I read on it. Oh well.

Crooks - staying in RP is hard with the taxes going up more than my salary each year. It's hard to make it here as a single unless you're paid well, which unfortunately, I am not. Was hoping to perhaps trade down and save a bit. Guess I'll keep working the employment angle hard too, maybe I'll have better luck finding a decent career.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM
 
7,658 posts, read 17,996,405 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Ok, so German Gardens is out then. As I said, I didn't know much about the area, and am not pleased with the links that I read on it. Oh well.

Crooks - staying in RP is hard with the taxes going up more than my salary each year. It's hard to make it here as a single unless you're paid well, which unfortunately, I am not. Was hoping to perhaps trade down and save a bit. Guess I'll keep working the employment angle hard too, maybe I'll have better luck finding a decent career.
Taxes in Longwood can be much higher than RP and are by no means any picnic.Really do your research before taking the plunge.

You got it good here. Id stick with North Shore Beach or Sound Beach.Taxes are not bad at all considering the quality of the Schools and area.Its still one of the best values youll find on the North Shore.

FWIW if a house is too much, have you considered the Rocky Point Owners Co-ops by the HS?
Theyre really not too bad at all.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...778_1113090398
Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 02-21-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,162 posts, read 14,118,630 times
Reputation: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Great in depth history of the area but Walter,where is the map when I need it? Might have to go Nazi hunting,just kidding!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Long Island
9,668 posts, read 21,305,938 times
Reputation: 5453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Great in depth history of the area but Walter,where is the map when I need it? Might have to go Nazi hunting,just kidding!
Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible


Here's a link to the area of the old German Settlement (in spite of what it says, just click on it...).
One of the units of the Steuben Society of America occasionally has events there. The marker is right by the entrance, "Private Road" (that's the actual name of the street LOL).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,162 posts, read 14,118,630 times
Reputation: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible


Here's a link to the area of the old German Settlement (in spite of what it says, just click on it...).
One of the units of the Steuben Society of America occasionally has events there. The marker is right by the entrance, "Private Road" (that's the actual name of the street LOL).
Thanks for the link.I have done cable work for years in tons of houses in suffolk county from bayshore to orient point and on the south shore to about the amagansett area so I was curious if I had ever done work in there,but I don't think so. When I come back next week maybe i'll have to drive through to see for sure. Is it safe in there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 AM
 
1,815 posts, read 5,126,156 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Taxes in Longwood can be much higher than RP and are by no means any picnic.Really do your research before taking the plunge.

You got it good here. Id stick with North Shore Beach or Sound Beach.Taxes are not bad at all considering the quality of the Schools and area.Its still one of the best values youll find on the North Shore.

FWIW if a house is too much, have you considered the Rocky Point Owners Co-ops by the HS?
Theyre really not too bad at all.
Rocky Point, NY, 11778 - MLS #2226938 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®
Crooks
Ahhh! That's the dreaded words - good schools! I'm so tired of paying so much for a school system I will never ever be able to use. But that's my issue I guess.

Co-ops, while cheap, won't work for me because of my mini-zoo. I am owned by 4 cats, 1 parrot, 4 finches and 2 cat fish. Some, like the parrot, have been around longer than any of my husbands. He's in his 20's now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top