Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM

176 posts, read 473,703 times

Advertisements

nice honest response....I guess I meant more about neighbor relations. Does everyone mostly keep top themselves or is there a 'neighborly' feel? I feel that sometimes the more affluent communities tend to mostly keep to themselves and be less approachable in a communal sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,081,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
nice honest response....I guess I meant more about neighbor relations. Does everyone mostly keep top themselves or is there a 'neighborly' feel? I feel that sometimes the more affluent communities tend to mostly keep to themselves and be less approachable in a communal sense.
Well I can't speak for the whole community but on my particular street everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. We do have one particular neighboring couple who seem to go out of their way to cause trouble and have alienated the whole street ... but other them everyone is on friendly terms. My parents seem to be closer with the other long time families then with the newer arrivals (most of whom seem to shun any and all human contact).

Old 07-01-2010, 01:30 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,272,020 times
Quote:

I think the neighborly feel thing is not just a product of affluence, but of our changing culture. Having grown up in Brooklyn and then Queens, I have rarely experienced the closeness on Long Island that I was used to growing up. I have lived in 3 LI communities, and on each block I've been on, there were at least 2 or 3 families, all having lived there at least 15 years, who never so much as waved hello to ANYBODY! I find that to be so anti social, yet more common place than I ever thought. Now, we were not all best friends back in the old neighborhoods, but it was much more unusual to find someone who never talked to anyone. I have found that even families who are friendly during the years the kids are in school together, often lose contact soon after H.S. graduation.

This is just my experiences. Maybe I'm too idealistic.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 PM

^^
valid points.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM

79 posts, read 289,051 times
I as well grew up in West Islip. I am 32 although can say that WI has a very friendly attitude.. As long as one plays nice without being loud or partying everyone seems to get along. I am partial to Bablyon Village due to the village feel, although have heard negative things about the West Islip schools in the past 15 years. WI has a large drug problem for children growing up in such an affluent community, as many Long island money communities have these days...
If you had to chose I would say South of Union Blvd you should be ok with everyone..
Once you go north of union things can be hit or miss..
My favorite nieghborhood is off Snedecor Avenue south of montuak right west of the cuaseway...
You can find homes between 500k and 2 mill. Although if you live in the real world you can try and get a good deal under 450k south of union somewhere...

I myself say go to Babylon village.. your taxes are cheaper! and it has a cultural historical feel..

Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM

West islip crossed off the list....lack of racial tolerance is a deal breaker for me. In this day in age I just do not need to surround me or my family with bigotry. Checked into it with a couple of people who had graduated from WI HS within the last 5 years and their feeling was the same, no diversity tolerance and plenty of drugs due to boredom of nothing to do. I'll take my chances elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:47 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,081,196 times
Quote:
West islip crossed off the list....lack of racial tolerance is a deal breaker for me. In this day in age I just do not need to surround me or my family with bigotry. Checked into it with a couple of people who had graduated from WI HS within the last 5 years and their feeling was the same, no diversity tolerance and plenty of drugs due to boredom of nothing to do. I'll take my chances elsewhere.
The drug problem is exaggerated. Drug problems exist in every community.

Where do you get the idea of no racial tolerance and rampant bigotry? The community is 90% White, true but it's not like the KKK runs amok lynching minorities or anything. I have never seen an overt act of racism directed against a minority in West Islip. When I was in high school we had several minority students and I cannot recall a single incident of racism against them - news of things like that get around and I would have heard about it. Just because they don't make up half of the population dosent mean that we hate minorities. West Islip is West Islip, if you want diversity and liberals go look at Wyandanch, Brentwood, or Central Islip. West Islip is 90% White and very Conservative, big deal. The 32,000 people who live here obviously don't mind it.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:16 PM

532 posts, read 1,267,597 times
I just sold my house in Babylon Village. On the market 5 weeks, accepted the second offer for full price. We're staying in the Village but moving waterfront, the house we're buying was just put on the market.

We we're lucky, but I also believe if you have a nice house and price it at market, it will sell

Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 AM

burb, curious which was your house? I have been looking at every house and was wondering if I may have seen yours. I am sure I saw it online anyway. Care to share? I am still searching for a house in babylon village or even one with west babylon schools but have seen almost nothing to our liking and budget. Considered ISLIP but is about 15 minutes too far for my manhattan commute.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The drug problem is exaggerated. Drug problems exist in every community.

Where do you get the idea of no racial tolerance and rampant bigotry? The community is 90% White, true but it's not like the KKK runs amok lynching minorities or anything. I have never seen an overt act of racism directed against a minority in West Islip. When I was in high school we had several minority students and I cannot recall a single incident of racism against them - news of things like that get around and I would have heard about it. Just because they don't make up half of the population dosent mean that we hate minorities. West Islip is West Islip, if you want diversity and liberals go look at Wyandanch, Brentwood, or Central Islip. West Islip is 90% White and very Conservative, big deal. The 32,000 people who live here obviously don't mind it.
Exactly my point...and just so you know WI schools are made up of 94+% white students. Besides I have talked to former students in WI and they have confirmed that even them as West islip residents would not want to send their kids to WI schools due to the poor sense of community, lack of diversity (in case you have not been out of WI recently, 95+ white population is not the norm these days) and drug issues. I realize drugs are everywhere. Compound that with the fact that west islip offers very little in sense of community without town centers and villages, plus they discourage local and national business from operating there I see no real reason to drop roots there. Yes it is beautiful (in spots) but by no means is the whole town great. hey do not get me wrong. I am Hispanic, educated in the USA with a College undegrad degree and a masters degree and my wife is caucasian also college educated. Neither one of us see a reason to be part of a community that is not representative of our family's make-up. That is all. I am sure everyone there is happy and that is fine with me, but that is not for us. If you seach on this forum alone you will find several accounts of students in WI exposing their schools lack of diversity as a negative......not a positive thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island