Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times

Advertisements

Alot and most like too much organized sports have kids all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 AM

280 posts, read 603,540 times
Whenever we goof around by the street, after a while more kids + parents come out.

Sometimes the neighborhood parents need a little encouragement - and I don't see anything wrong with starting a snowfight with them. Boy did we have fun, and the kids went nuts!!

We do have older kids running around all day, playing games, biking, ringing my doorbell "by mistake" - I'm happy here.

Last edited by ResearchMom; 03-01-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I send my kids outside all the time. I was raised in a place that you didnt stay inside for one minute if the weather was good. So my kids are out playing ball, on the trampoline, walking the dogs etc.

But they are probably the only kids in this are that do this.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
We definitely need to teach our children "zombie awareness". It is a very important issue these days. In fact, some of the residents have suggested to the school district to start some sort of program to teach the kids zombie safety. This is potentially a very serious safety issue.
You can never be too safe these days.

I wonder how the ice cream mans wallet is doing these days.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
We definitely need to teach our children "zombie awareness". It is a very important issue these days. In fact, some of the residents have suggested to the school district to start some sort of program to teach the kids zombie safety. This is potentially a very serious safety issue.
You can never be too safe these days.

I wonder how the ice cream mans wallet is doing these days.
Well, if it's the guy with the truck where the music stops and you hear some troglodyte woman yell at you "HELLO?", I hope his wallet is empty!!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
The zombie threat is real.
Would explain the behavior of some neighbors and co-workers.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Would explain the behavior of some neighbors and co-workers.
And politicians...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This has been going on for about 25 years here on LI. I think it initially started after the poison halloween candy scares in the early 80's..you went from kids filling the streets on Halloween to having a few stragglers. You literally couldn't drive down the street in my old neighborhood around Halloween from 1975-1981 or so..then all of a sudden it just stopped.

Then you had much more public child abduction stories, more reality TV shows ie "America's most Wanted" etc, more fear, etc, and then the rise of PC's and video games which actually started around 1978 with Atari, but became more and more popular and consumed more and more of kids time to the point where that's all kids do now. It's just a very different culture.

I spent most of my childhood playing wiffle ball and running around in the woods.
Yes, it's been going on a lot longer than 5 years. It really stinks. My kids get outside a lot because we are able to make the time to take them out but kids whose parents are busy with work and other commitments probably can't do it. Regardless of how much we get them out, though, it's just not like it was in the 60s and 70s - I'm pretty sure my mom had no idea what I was doing all day when I was a kid. I got up in the morning and went out looking for someone to play with and I came back home when she called me.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
There are always kids outside where I live in Levittown. Even in the winter I see kids on scooters and bikes. There's tons of them here.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Kids outside.... football, basketball, snow ball fights .... etc... its nice, there is no thru' traffic and I guess that helps.
I got a few friends living in the south who have the same kind of atmosphere, not sure why you guys are not seeing the kids out.
I think every neighborhood goes through its cycles... young kids become teenagers and go to college, family moves out and new families with young kids come in.... and the cycle continues.... so if you are caught in the wrong time zone, you may not see them I guess, just take a rough count of the vehicles you see in your neighborhood, if most houses have 3-4 cars, then most probably you are living with teenagers and they probably stay indoors.... If you see mini-Vans.... you got lucky if you got kids !!

Last edited by zulu400; 03-01-2010 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: