Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 25,638 times

Advertisements

i'm wondering if anyone knows about building codes for brookhaven as far as finishing or semi-finishing a garage. not trying to set up an apt, so kitchen and plumbing isn't entirely necessary, but more of office space, art studio, workshop, etc. the garage is brand new, foundation seems well done, huge space, not sure of the dimensions though.

are there rules against doing a simple framing out of some space and sheetrocking so there are a few separate areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,558,902 times
It would be considered a garage conversion (Converting it from storage to living space) and would require a permit.

I created a great room by breaking through the bedroom wall into the garage. Electrical was done, heat brought into the space, a new window where the garage door was. Sheetrock, spackle, floor, trim, paint...new room!

Some people will do this without a permit. When they go to open a permit for a large project, go to sell, etc., it is usually picked up. The town will require that you draw plans and describe the work done. Make sure you have pictures of all as you move along if you go that route.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 PM

thanks for the reply. it's something i'm considering while shopping for houses, have come across several, one in particular with a huge garage, well built, complete blank slate.

it's actually a detached garage, probably room to make a nice sized office/studio, more room for smaller sort of semi-finished living area and a bit more space for workshop, non-finished garage. i actually think the garage may be too big for BH standards, i read somewhere 20x30, i think this might be a bit bigger.

assuming i get proper permits, submit plans accordingly and be ready to pay more taxes for the increased living space, seems like it's not completely a pipedream and could technically be done.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 17,049 times
Instead of going through the permit hassle and higher taxes, what if you just tossed up a temporary wall/partition? If you're only talking about semi-finishing for office space and/or studio, you should be able to have a partition and a desk in your garage, it wouldn't really be living space per say. I havea desk in my garage, granted it's under a stack of boxes but technically i could clear it out and have an office in my garage. Then if you sell your home, you can just take them down and it's back to an empty garage.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM

57 posts, read 177,961 times
Sounds like another apt rental in the progress

Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 17,049 times
I think he said he wasn't looking to make an apt, just studio/office space, which for me, I wouldn't need completely finished, just a desk maybe a rug, a light or two. Plus, who would rent an apartment with no kitchen or plumbing? Actually now that I think about it, probably quite a few in these parts, lol.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM

def no apt, i can barely stand neighbors as it is, forget about having a tenant in my garage, no way.

the temp thing sounds interesting tho usually i'd go the by the book route with permits and such, would rather do it right from the start then run into issues later. thanks for the idea tho, something to consider,

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,229,900 times
I think of that work as the same as finishing a basement, not that big of a deal when you aren't adding a kitchen or bathroom. I would guess that as long as you do the work properly and up to code now you could do without the permit and it will get dealt with when you sell the house.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,558,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday View Post
thanks for the reply. it's something i'm considering while shopping for houses, have come across several, one in particular with a huge garage, well built, complete blank slate.

it's actually a detached garage, probably room to make a nice sized office/studio, more room for smaller sort of semi-finished living area and a bit more space for workshop, non-finished garage. i actually think the garage may be too big for BH standards, i read somewhere 20x30, i think this might be a bit bigger.

assuming i get proper permits, submit plans accordingly and be ready to pay more taxes for the increased living space, seems like it's not completely a pipedream and could technically be done.
I have a heated, oversized, 2 story garage. 1st floor all garage space, 2nd floor is finished with storage, a hobby room and an office. There is no plumbing, no kitchen, no cable, no phone. The town OK'd the garage when built with the provision that the collar ties be a certain height (in other words, preventing an apartment upstairs because the height was too low.) The framing was put in for cathedral ceilings, collar ties installed for inspection purposes, and later removed when the CO was in hand. If ever the time comes to sell, the collar ties will be put back up. The new owner will be told how to remove them.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:48 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,308,938 times
I just purchased a house in Islip that has heat in one of the 2 garages. What I did was put some carpet on the floor, it already has vinyl panels separating it from the other garage. There is a window too. The doors are operational. The owner had added it to the house and got all the CO's before the sale. Its not considered living area and the taxes went up by Zero dollars !!

I plan to kinda semi-finish it just like you, but use it more like a recreational area for the kids/toys etc, maybe put a daybed or something. I plan to keep the garage intact, in case I need to use it as a garage later !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: