Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:55 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Without fail the Nissan Maxima. Always with tinted windows.
I thought of this thread this morning, and specifically this post, when a Maxima with tinted windows rode my arse as I was going *cough* nearly 80 *cough* on Sunrise Highway westbound.

Irritating for three reasons:

1. I was behind a county car keeping pace in the left lane.

2. The middle lane was full so I couldn't get over if I wanted to. Perhaps the county car and I were supposed to sprout wings?

3. I have an Altima and, come on, don't be a jerkface to another Nissan driver.

Oh, and heaven help me if I didn't see a Hummer coming back home. Middle lane, doing 60 as everyone flew around him.

But you know what? I like driving on Long Island. Didn't even own a car for most of my time in NoVA, and honestly, the traffic here isn't so bad. The attitude is different, more like, "If you needed that space, you'd be in it" as opposed to "I'm a GS-43,862,733 and how dare you attempt to pass me?" People here know how to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 PM

416 posts, read 697,949 times
There are plenty of knuckle heads in plenty of different cars, but it takes a special level of jackazz to drive a corvette. Guys who drive corvettes undoubtedly have insecurity issues and are trying to make up tiny weenies!

Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Just came back from being the Mom Taxi. I was tailgated down Stony Brook Rd by the T Rex of obnoxious, CO-spewing, gas-guzzling behemoths: HUMMER!

FUH2 | **** You And Your H2
Then you will be happy to know that, since they failed to sell the brand to a Chinese company, NO MORE "CONSUMER" HUMMERS WILL BE PRODUCED! (Not sure if they will still be made for military purposes, which is what they started as and what they should have stayed as.) Only 375 brand new Hummers were sold (nationwide) in December 2009 to consumers.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
There are plenty of knuckle heads in plenty of different cars, but it takes a special level of jackazz to drive a corvette. Guys who drive corvettes undoubtedly have insecurity issues and are trying to make up tiny weenies!
What about the women who drive them? What are they making up for?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
In order of Douchebaggery

1)Land Rover (Ultimate prickmobile.. incredibly consistent)
2)Escalade (Cant buy class)
3)Buick(dont underestimate the elderly)
4)Corvette(ask me about my small weenie)
5)Infinity g35 Coupe (the new Guido IROC)
6)Mercedes C Class(I cant really afford a Benz but thanks to leasing I too can pretend to be somebody)
Great list!!! Can I add a couple (not in order)?

Black Lincoln Town Cars with livery plates competing in the demolition derby on the LIE -- "$&###&@##@%^~!!!!" -- that's me screaming in the back seat and banging my head against the back window as if I am on an episode of Cops!

Porsche Boxster with the convertible top down -- midlife crisis guy going way too slow because instead of paying attention to his driving, he is busy looking around at the other drivers, HOPING women are looking at him!!! "Yes, I am looking at you, hun! As a matter of fact, I am staring daggers at you! Get outta my way!"

BMW Z4 -- driven by young ladies with an equal amount of money and death wish (judging by how they weave in and out at high speeds).

Ford Taurus -- fits in with #3 on your list -- too many of them having their "senior moments" out in public on the roads.

PS: As to #4, the classic Jaquar XK-E has several "inches" on the Corvette in the phallic symbol competition ... check one out next time you are at a car show!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-06-2010 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 03-06-2010, 06:53 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Great list!!! Can I add a couple (not in order)?

Black Lincoln Town Cars with livery plates competing in the demolition derby on the LIE -- "$&###&@##@%^~!!!!" -- that's me screaming in the back seat and banging my head against the back window as if I am on an episode of Cops!

Porsche Boxster with the convertible top down -- midlife crisis guy going way too slow because instead of paying attention to his driving, he is busy looking around at the other drivers, HOPING women are looking at him!!! "Yes, I am looking at you, hun! As a matter of fact, I am staring daggers at you! Get outta my way!"

BMW Z4 -- driven by young ladies with an equal amount of money and death wish (judging by how they weave in and out at high speeds).

Ford Taurus -- fits in with #3 on your list -- too many of them having their "senior moments" out in public on the roads.

PS: As to #4, the classic Jaquar XK-E has several "inches" on the Corvette in the phallic symbol competition ... check one out next time you are at a car show!
Nicely played

Crooks

Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,999 times
I have actually been surprised at the amount of people driving the newer “retro” Mustangs and Challengers I have seen on the road that actually do not drive at excessive speeds or try aggressive maneuvers on the highways. I had thought that there would be a good deal of this going on with these cars but I honestly have not seen this often.

I do notice a large number of different models of the BMW brand that do the zig-zag in and out of traffic. Perhaps it has something to do with the way the company markets these vehicles. I have seen someone mention that perhaps this is due to the fact that they are fun to drive but I do not see how it is fun to drive a vehicle in a reckless manner where if something goes wrong someone can get hurt or killed.

The worst is when you see two clowns in these tiny vehicles with large muffler pipes racing each other through traffic. I have owned many fast cars and use to drag race at the track in the Hamptons before they closed it. I am not saying that I have NEVER driven fast in a straight line on any road but any time I have it was on a secluded road when there were no other vehicles or people on the road so that I thought I would not be putting anyone else in danger and I would not have to navigate through traffic. The times I had done this were rare and obviously took place when I was in my late teens, early twenties.

I own an Excursion with a diesel engine and will admit that there are many people on the road that do not operate SUVs in the proper manner. I see many SUV drivers that do not leave enough space between themselves and the vehicle in front of them. The larger SUVs such as my Excursion need more room to stop than a typical car and I would think that anyone driving one of the larger SUVs would know this. I also am amazed by the number of SUVs and even cars that fly by me when I drive in the snow with the four wheel drive engaged. It is as if many people on the road are void of common sense. Four wheel drive is great for driving through the snow but when you hit the brakes you can still slide and with the weight of the SUVs, they will slide rather far.

Another thing that bothers me is the amount of people that feel the need to pull partially into the next lane to swing wide for a turn. I see this a lot and I do not even know if the people that do this know that they are doing it since they do not seem to care if there is a vehicle in or approaching in the lane they are pulling into so they can swing wide. The Excursion I drive is a very large vehicle and I never have to do this to make a turn. I very rarely have to do this with the Excursion with my 24 foot trailer attached to make a turn. Why do so many people do this? This is not limited to SUVs and pick up trucks either. I see passenger cars doing this often as well.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I have actually been surprised at the amount of people driving the newer “retro” Mustangs and Challengers I have seen on the road that actually do not drive at excessive speeds or try aggressive maneuvers on the highways. I had thought that there would be a good deal of this going on with these cars but I honestly have not seen this often.

I do notice a large number of different models of the BMW brand that do the zig-zag in and out of traffic. Perhaps it has something to do with the way the company markets these vehicles. I have seen someone mention that perhaps this is due to the fact that they are fun to drive but I do not see how it is fun to drive a vehicle in a reckless manner where if something goes wrong someone can get hurt or killed.

The worst is when you see two clowns in these tiny vehicles with large muffler pipes racing each other through traffic. I have owned many fast cars and use to drag race at the track in the Hamptons before they closed it. I am not saying that I have NEVER driven fast in a straight line on any road but any time I have it was on a secluded road when there were no other vehicles or people on the road so that I thought I would not be putting anyone else in danger and I would not have to navigate through traffic. The times I had done this were rare and obviously took place when I was in my late teens, early twenties.

I own an Excursion with a diesel engine and will admit that there are many people on the road that do not operate SUVs in the proper manner. I see many SUV drivers that do not leave enough space between themselves and the vehicle in front of them. The larger SUVs such as my Excursion need more room to stop than a typical car and I would think that anyone driving one of the larger SUVs would know this. I also am amazed by the number of SUVs and even cars that fly by me when I drive in the snow with the four wheel drive engaged. It is as if many people on the road are void of common sense. Four wheel drive is great for driving through the snow but when you hit the brakes you can still slide and with the weight of the SUVs, they will slide rather far.

Another thing that bothers me is the amount of people that feel the need to pull partially into the next lane to swing wide for a turn. I see this a lot and I do not even know if the people that do this know that they are doing it since they do not seem to care if there is a vehicle in or approaching in the lane they are pulling into so they can swing wide. The Excursion I drive is a very large vehicle and I never have to do this to make a turn. I very rarely have to do this with the Excursion with my 24 foot trailer attached to make a turn. Why do so many people do this? This is not limited to SUVs and pick up trucks either. I see passenger cars doing this often as well.
40k is a bit rich for a HS kid.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM

152 posts, read 547,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
But those humongous SUVs are safe.

.)
Anything driven in an a$$hat fashion is not safe. Go look at Newsday's coverage of any snowstorm over the last 15 years, and what do you see -
SUV rollover, SUV rollover, SUV rollover. Oh, you mean I CAN'T stop 7500 pounds of steel on ice, just because I am 10 feet higher than the average car? Oh no'sssss!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I noticed that, too. Strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: