Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:50 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post

Great Neck ( south) is a great place to be, since its only 23 minutes from the city, is a top-tier school district ( ranked in the top 100 school districts in the country consistently), and has fair amount of diversity.
Stats for Great Neck are great, no question. Major, MAJOR keeping up with the Jone's issues there. A friend of mine teaches in that district. The kids driving BMW's to school, the attitudes, the cliqueness among the different sects of Judaism....I've heard some crazy stuff. Better be ready for a good deal of nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
Yes, there are some very rich people in Great Neck. But I also know Asian couples who own a co-op and send their kids to Great Neck South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Stats for Great Neck are great, no question. Major, MAJOR keeping up with the Jone's issues there. A friend of mine teaches in that district. The kids driving BMW's to school, the attitudes, the cliqueness among the different sects of Judaism....I've heard some crazy stuff. Better be ready for a good deal of nonsense.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Perhaps rude if you pull it out of context.
(My apologies if I offended anyone.)

Maybe sarcastic if you dont.
As I said I was just messing (and I recommended the Huntington area as well ....you should re-read the post.).

I only suggested they consider CSH or Harborfields for public schools since a lot of folks seem to go Private in the area.

Crooks
All right, no harm done.

I think the sort of ambience the OP is looking for is more in line with Huntington proper and from what I know of CA schools, she will be fine there.

Nassau has a better commute, but the towns that people are throwing out aren't necessarily earthy-crunchy. I live in Garden City - not a good fit for the OP. Went 75% for McCain in '08 and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I don't want to divert this into a Nassau-Suffolk thing. But I live in Jericho, and the Muttontown Preserve is within 2 miles from my home if I want open space for nature, hiking, bird watching etc. If you mean open space as an acre of property for yourself for under a million, sure, suffolk is the way to go.
I believe I placed Jericho on my short list for the OP.

I love the preserves on the north shore in Nassau.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

I think it's a lot more helpful to the OP in this and any thread when these threads don't get dragged into these debates. I know you think you are helping, but it's a lot more helpful to re-locators when you just post about what you know, instead of what you think you know. I have to weed thru stuff like this on the NC forum, but it's not nearly as bad as this one.

Just b/c one poster likes to bash Huntington doesn't mean someone relocating to LI shouldn't consider the area when it has many of the amenities listed original poster is looking for.

Huntington farmers market is great, though may not be different than ones in NorCal. Has great pickles amongst other things.

I love the area and have been living here for years.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM

325 posts, read 737,216 times
Quote:

I only suggested they consider CSH or Harborfields for public schools since a lot of folks seem to go Private in the area.
I think the main point in all this is that in affluent areas, some people are always going to use private schools. It's not necessarily a reflection of the public school system. Just remember a lot of kids from CSH, Asharoken, Jericho, Great Neck, etc...also go to private and parochial schools despite their highly ranked public systems. It's just something some people choose, especially on the western North Shore where alternative schooling options abound. I would say most people in the more affluent areas of #3 and #13 (H.Bay, Wincoma, West Hills, CS Hills, etc...) utilize the public schools, suggesting that they do have some redeeming qualities.

I hope the OP finds this useful.

Last edited by h-tonian; 03-09-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I think the main point in all this is that in affluent areas, some people are always going to use private schools. It's not necessarily a reflection of the public school system. Just remember a lot of kids from CSH, Asharoken, Jericho, Great Neck, etc...also go to private and parochial schools despite their highly ranked public systems. It's just something some people choose, especially on the western North Shore where alternative schooling options abound. I would say most people in the more affluent areas of #3 and #13 (H.Bay, Wincoma, West Hills, CS Hills, etc...) utilize the public schools, suggesting that they do have some redeeming qualities.

I hope the OP finds this useful.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Thats not necessarily true in all of Suffolk,when I grew up in the Three Village area just about all of the kids from Old Field and Strongs Neck went to 3V because the schools were/are outstanding.

I know that to be true with the Belle Terre kids in Port Jeff Village as well. Again, outstanding schools and very,very affluent, the only exception was really for Catholic Schools.

When I worked in HV it really seemed the norm for folks with money to go private or push for CSH or Harborfields.

Maybe its just for bragging rights...who knows?

Crooks

Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Seems much of the recommendations are for Suffolk County, so I thought I'd even it up. I consider Nassau much more preferable because it is a shorter commute and less costly. For your budget, here are some places in Nassau with very good school districts:

Rockville Centre
Garden City
Syosset
Great Neck
Manhasset
Sea Cliff
Roslyn
Roslyn Estates
Roslyn Harbor
Just wanted to quickly clarify something: I meant the commute (LIRR fares) is less costly in Nassau, not that it is less costly to live in Nassau in general.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How about Mill Neck, Laurel Hollow, Jericho?
Yes!

Also, on the south shore of Nassau County, I would recommend:

Massapequa (NOT ia home located in the Amityville SD)
Massapequa Park
Woodmere (NOT a home located in the Lawrence SD)
Merrick (particularly South)
Bellmore (particularly South)
Hewlett
Hewlett Neck
Hewlett Harbor
Hewlett Bay Park
Woodsburgh

Old 03-09-2010, 06:42 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Hmmmmmmmm.

Thats not necessarily true in all of Suffolk,when I grew up in the Three Village area just about all of the kids from Old Field and Strongs Neck went to 3V because the schools were/are outstanding.

I know that to be true with the Belle Terre kids in Port Jeff Village as well. Again, outstanding schools and very,very affluent, the only exception was really for Catholic Schools.

Crooks
Still very much the case in 3V.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island