Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM

137 posts, read 356,476 times

Advertisements

you will need a razor blade, warm soapy water in a spray bottle and alot of patients. if you pull the tint off the right way, you will have less work to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM

184 posts, read 805,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLOWMONTE View Post
you will need a razor blade, warm soapy water in a spray bottle and alot of patients. if you pull the tint off the right way, you will have less work to do.
true, just make sure you don't cut into any of the defroster lines on the rear window with the razor blade.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM

137 posts, read 356,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeInLI View Post
true, just make sure you don't cut into any of the defroster lines on the rear window with the razor blade.
that rarely happens unless you dont pay attention to what youre doing and you "dig" into it as opposed to "skimming" the glass. for stubborn residue or for delicate surfaces, you can use napatha or "goo gone". it looses it up faster.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 15,350 times
I have used Top Edge Window Tinting Long Island 3 times for 2 different cars. Then they also tinted my buddy's office because they offer residential tinting as well, and he was very happy with them. As far as me, with the auto window tinting, I was pretty impressed with the way it came out. I got high quality tint on the first car, and then regular tint on the other one. I was very happy with it.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 AM

200 posts, read 618,321 times
what you really have to watch out for is tint that has a certain amount of metallic in it which blocks cell phone transmission. I think Viper makes tint with 0% metallic in it.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I posted here 3 years ago and didn't even leave this:

New York - Featured Articles - Articles - Articles - TintDude.com

Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,783 times
They will bother you. One of my vehicle is tinted and I got a ticket for it. I must admit that its very dark. I purchased the car used like that so i just didnt bother removing it

Old 10-23-2013, 04:10 PM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ now that you bring it up, I actually see a lot of cars from factory (or dealer) with the rear climate or privacy package where the rear doors are tinted pretty dark. These include run of the mill minivans and SUVs.
Passenger vehicles (2D and 4D) are a different classification then Suburbans (SUV and minivan) and have slightly different tint laws. You can have fully tinted rear windows on a suburban and it is legal. This is why you will see it offered as a factory option.

However, on passenger vehicles, ANY tint is illegal. The reason is that factory windows already have tint applied that you can't see but that registers on a tint meter. If you add even the minimum amount of aftermarket tint to the factory tint, you will be over the limit.

Chances are that you will not be stopped for having tints. Even if you are stopped, if you are not a douche or a criminal you probably won't get a ticket.

It is something to be aware of before you spend a few hundred dollars getting work done that you may have to pay to have removed in the future. FYI.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You know window tinting is illegal, right?
no its not

Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post

However, on passenger vehicles, ANY tint is illegal. The reason is that factory windows already have tint applied that you can't see but that registers on a tint meter. If you add even the minimum amount of aftermarket tint to the factory tint, you will be over the limit.

Chances are that you will not be stopped for having tints. Even if you are stopped, if you are not a douche or a criminal you probably won't get a ticket.

It is something to be aware of before you spend a few hundred dollars getting work done that you may have to pay to have removed in the future. FYI.
lie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island