Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I took place in the 2007 "pre-census" and it did not ask such personal questions that I can recall. I would say the 10 questions is the short form.
http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d-61b.pdf

Here is the 2000 census. Its the long form, but the first 10 questions are from the short form. Check out some of these questions. Like 23 and 24 for example. How many people rode to work in the car, truck or van last week? What time did the person usually leave home to go to work LAST WEEK? Notice LAST WEEK in capital letters. Next page, they want your 1999 income. After that they want your interest and dividends. And they want info on your mortgage and second mortgage.

I mean talk about getting personal here.

If you want the number of people in my home, their ages and their race, fine. But to me that should be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
There is no long form this census. Everyone will get a short form for 2010.

The long form was replaced by a survey called the American Community Survey.

People who live in basement apartments are separate households and should receive separate questionnaires. If anyone doesn't receive a questionnaire by April 1, they can call the Telephone Questionnaire Assistance Center at 1-866-872-6868.

A key to the success of the census is public cooperation. The more people who fill out their questionnaires and mail them back, the cheaper the census will be. A lot of money is being spent on advance mailings. promotions, and other efforts to increase participation. That investment should pay off in increased response and lower costs to visit the nonresponding households.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
[URL]http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d-61b.pdf[/URL]

Here is the 2000 census. Its the long form, but the first 10 questions are from the short form. Check out some of these questions. Like 23 and 24 for example. How many people rode to work in the car, truck or van last week? What time did the person usually leave home to go to work LAST WEEK? Notice LAST WEEK in capital letters. Next page, they want your 1999 income. After that they want your interest and dividends. And they want info on your mortgage and second mortgage.

I mean talk about getting personal here.

If you want the number of people in my home, their ages and their race, fine. But to me that should be it.

I agree--or at least make it anonymous. Last fall I kept getting a form just like that one, only green. They call it the "American Community Survey (http://www.census.gov/acs/www/SBasics/acs_2010.htm - broken link)," but it's the same long, intrusive form. The only difference is that instead of sending it out every 10 years, they are going to send some out every year.

When I looked at it, I was very put off. Not only do they want to know your income and mortgage info, they want to know where you work (the address), how you went to work, how many people were in your car, what time you left for work, how many hours you worked LAST WEEK and whether you were absent from your job, and if so, how many hours you missed. They want to know what languages you speak, how well you speak English, what kind of health insurance you have, and how much your utility bills are. If you live in an apartment, they want to know how many other units are in the complex. Ummmm, go to the landlord for that?

An optimist would say it's so that they know how heavily the roads are traveled and how much mass transit is needed in the area, whether there is a need for ESL classes in the schools or a need for bilingual health professionals, and what the stress is on health clinics and ERs (as many people who don't have insurance tend to use the ER for their care). A cynic would say the whole thing reeked of Big Brother, an attempt to find tax cheats, and an attempt to round up illegal aliens, especially because they want your name.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
An optimist would say it's so that they know how heavily the roads are traveled and how much mass transit is needed in the area, whether there is a need for ESL classes in the schools or a need for bilingual health professionals, and what the stress is on health clinics and ERs (as many people who don't have insurance tend to use the ER for their care).
You answered your own question. Responses on questionnaires from the 2010 Census, the American Community Survey, and other census surveys are only used to compile statistics. Responses are not shared with agencies outside the Census Bureau. Data goes through extensive disclosure avoidance procedures to prevent any data to be associated with individual persons or residences.

A cynic would doubt that. Nonetheless, it's true.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
NCDave -- do you work for the Census Bureau?

In the past I would have believed the optomist's perspective, but given the government's performance, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
You answered your own question. Responses on questionnaires from the 2010 Census, the American Community Survey, and other census surveys are only used to compile statistics. Responses are not shared with agencies outside the Census Bureau. Data goes through extensive disclosure avoidance procedures to prevent any data to be associated with individual persons or residences.

A cynic would doubt that. Nonetheless, it's true.
Welllllllll, I wasn't actually asking anything.

I lean toward cynicism, myself. If they want that kind of information, they don't need names and telephone numbers to go along with it. Then perhaps they wouldn't have to waste time, resources, and tax dollars going through "extensive disclosure avoidance procedures."

Oh, I'm sure there are 40 bazillion reasons and rules and layers of bureaucracy that go along with the assurance of confidentiality, but considering how the federal government has lost data to hackers in the past, I think the best security they could have when aggregating data is anonymity.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 AM

244 posts, read 540,215 times
At least I don't see anyone here saying they'll shoot the census takers, or send their dogs out after them, like I here from people in other states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
... but considering how the federal government has lost data to hackers in the past, I think the best security they could have when aggregating data is anonymity.
Do you mean compared to banks and credit-card transaction brokers and so many MANY other companies who never disclose that they've been hacked into, or worse NEVER EVER discover it in the first place ???

Being in IT, I see it all the time. On top of that, you'd be amazed how many people out there have no idea their own personal home computers are hacked into and being used by persons outside their home

The gov't losing your information is the least of your worries.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
At least I don't see anyone here saying they'll shoot the census takers, or send their dogs out after them, like I here from people in other states

Do you mean compared to banks and credit-card transaction brokers and so many MANY other companies who never disclose that they've been hacked into, or worse NEVER EVER discover it in the first place ???

Being in IT, I see it all the time. On top of that, you'd be amazed how many people out there have no idea their own personal home computers are hacked into and being used by persons outside their home

The gov't losing your information is the least of your worries.
Oh, believe me. I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island