Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times

Advertisements

I haven't played golf in years, but when I did I played at Cantiague, Merrick, Bethpage and Peninsula. Aside from Bethpage, those are all 9-hole courses and will make you look decent LOL. Merrick is a super-nice course, right on the bay, and when I used to go down there it was never crowded....don't think too many people know about it.

Eisenhower Park has a few different courses, but I don't know anything about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:02 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I love all the courses at Bethpage and Eisenhower (even though it is very flat) but if you get the right day Lido can be really nice (on a windy day forget it). I am terrible at golf but last year I started hitting the 9 hole places which was much more relaxing and I really helped my short game - plus it is much easier to slip out of work for nine holes during the week than 18. I did Islands End once and Cherry Creek out east a couple times too. Colonial Springs was public but has since gone private I believe, used to like that place too. This is going to be the year I really improve - I think.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Brookhaven has a little course in Rocky Point.
Rolling Oaks Golf Course - Rocky Point, New York, Long Island

Crooks
I like the course, but put this in the "shooting gallery" category... Tee boxes, fairways, and greens are so close together you almost need a helmet. For that type of course I'd recommend Dix Hills park as it's laid out much better and very close to him.

Tom - We could literally list 50 courses here for you easily... A couple I'd avoid due to being overpriced for what you get are LI National, Shirley Links, and Stonebridge - I'll only play those with a coupon. You're better off playing Cherry Creek, Tall Grass, or Riverhead (Suffolk county park) in that general area.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Tall Grass is hard! Nice course....

Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 PM

82 posts, read 189,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Haven't played but there is a town course in Medford. It's called mill pond and is on mill road.
Mill Pond is a great course but can be difficult if you hit into the high rough a lot. This course is not for the beginner. You could almost call it a links course . It is a must play for golfers who haven't played it yet. Another plus is the carts are equipped with GPS.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:44 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I like the course, but put this in the "shooting gallery" category... Tee boxes, fairways, and greens are so close together you almost need a helmet. For that type of course I'd recommend Dix Hills park as it's laid out much better and very close to him.

Tom - We could literally list 50 courses here for you easily... A couple I'd avoid due to being overpriced for what you get are LI National, Shirley Links, and Stonebridge - I'll only play those with a coupon. You're better off playing Cherry Creek, Tall Grass, or Riverhead (Suffolk county park) in that general area.

Like I said small and pretty cheap too.

I didnt realize the LInks were so priey.

Crooks

Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,726 times
Hey guys,

I'm looking to find some courses to play on LI as well. Are they generally less crowded the more east you go? Can you recommend any 18-hole courses in Nassau county that aren't too crowded and beginner friendly? I might be going with some first/second timers (I'm not great either). How are the Eisenhower park blue and white courses?

I guess maybe I should be looking at the 9 hole courses sean mentioned...

Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited by biga55; 04-15-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Smithtown Landing is great and not expensive even for a non resident. Hamlet at Willow Creek is awesome but $$$. Holbrook Country Club isn't bad either, plus it's usually easy to get on.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,726 times
Thanks nassau2suffolk, I will look into those!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Try Sunken Meadow too (North shore from exit 53 on LIE), those courses are relatively easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island