Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,732,207 times

Advertisements

This year I want to try out some new golf courses on Long Island. Up until now, I have mostly played the Town of Huntington courses and Sunken Meadow. Suggestions anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,315,951 times
Eisenhower is okay, you can do Bethpage (anything but BLACK, but do it on a weekday, as its really slow).

Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,983,044 times
The entire Bethpage facility is awesome... Take time to try and play them all - I'd definitely suggest you play BLACK no matter how long the round is. AMAZING course.

If you want to venture out East give us some idea of driving limits and I'm sure we could recommend a bunch of options... do you keep to a budget?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,732,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you want to venture out East give us some idea of driving limits and I'm sure we could recommend a bunch of options... do you keep to a budget?
Out east is fine. My budget for golf is anything that I don't need to tell my wife about.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,983,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Out east is fine. My budget for golf is anything that I don't need to tell my wife about.
If you're up for a DRIVE, I would highly recommend Montauk Downs (south shore) and Island's End (north shore)... Montauk Downs is a state park and you can reserve just as you do with Bethpage. Island's End is just a phone call to the pro shop for reserves. Both are very reasonably priced and when you combine a beer/burger locally afterwards, you're in for a a fantastic day. Make a day of either and you won't be disappointed.

As you get closer to you there's so many options... Value / Cheap would be the Suffolk county courses - Bergen, Timberpoint, West Sayville, and Riverhead. I like Riverhead and West Sayville the most.

The "middle" courses of Middle Island, Swan Lake, Spring Lake are all pretty nice options, as well.

Based on where you are, I would start with Bethpage this Spring.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,508,672 times
Tom,

Windwatch is nice but alittle pricey.

I second Montauk Downs.....really nice.

I like Smithtown Landing and Stonebridge because they are close.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,766,222 times
Haven't played but there is a town course in Medford. It's called mill pond and is on mill road.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 11,020 times
If not the Black, play Bethpage Red. Well worth it; tough track.
Eisenhower - only the Red.
Montauk Downs; long drive to get there, but great course.
If care to play out on North Fork East End try Islands End (back 9 is really good) and LI National. Bring your A game to LI Natl.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,119,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
This year I want to try out some new golf courses on Long Island. Up until now, I have mostly played the Town of Huntington courses and Sunken Meadow. Suggestions anyone?

Brookhaven has a little course in Rocky Point.
Rolling Oaks Golf Course - Rocky Point, New York, Long Island

Crooks

Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,315,951 times
The BLACK is tough, especially because you have mentioned that you have played regularly only at Sunken Meadow and ToH.
You can play it, but its a major upgrade and... er... do not keep the score when you play that !!

Windwatch in Hauppague is awesome. I would highly recommend getting there an hour before your round and use the practice grounds. Its grass and NOT mat and has a superb sand trap and short game area, I recommend a $5 small bucket, that course has lots of water, but there is one catch.... I do not think its public hence as someone mentioned pricey !!

There is a Holbrook country club off of Patchogue-Holbrook Rd which is decent too.
There is another one in Brentwood called Brentwood golf club, its pretty flat though.
Mills pond is nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island