Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

They made suckers out of everyone on LI, again. So the guys on the force screwed the new hires a bit...it didn't havenone iota of negative impact on their salaries, in fact they went up, when everyone on LI except for them is hurting. And they still don't contribute a penny to pension or medical, which is not the case with many school districts on LI so don't make the bogus comparison between LI teachers and SCPD..SCPD comp package is light years ahead of teachers.

Levy is right...what he needs to move towards is disolving SCPD, putting new acadamies into the Sheriffs Dept. This arbitration decision is a disgrace.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They made suckers out of everyone on LI, again. So the guys on the force screwed the new hires a bit...it didn't havenone iota of negative impact on their salaries, in fact they went up, when everyone on LI except for them is hurting. And they still don't contribute a penny to pension or medical, which is not the case with many school districts on LI so don't make the bogus comparison between LI teachers and SCPD..SCPD comp package is light years ahead of teachers.

Levy is right...what he needs to move towards is disolving SCPD, putting new acadamies into the Sheriffs Dept. This arbitration decision is a disgrace.
I've stopped caring about what teachers make. It's clear they aren't doing their jobs well on Long Island by some of the spelling I've seen displayed on these boards, so I say let's get rid of all of them and start over with a bunch of nuns. They're cheaper and don't take any sass.

As for your second paragraph, what you propose would require so much stuff, for want of a better word, that by the time all is said and done, all the training, all the politics, all the changes in governance, all the haggling with unions--you do know they're unionized, too, right?--well, if all of the other political messes on Long Island are any indication, it would just be more of the same.

The bottom line, no pun intended, is that no matter who you get in there--sheriffs, mad grannies, whoever--a precedent has been set by someone else, the police and the county together.

Again, if you are unhappy with what the county hath wrought, blame it on your elected officials for not having the chutzpah to negotiate. They took the easy way out. Wielding an axe against an entire police force because they have smarter representation makes no sense, when it's the people of Long Island who choose their own representation.

Last edited by Yzette; 03-14-2010 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling. Thank you, Sister Jane.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I would bet a paycheck that all the people who think the contract is fine and dandy have family in the SCPD. Its not worth arguing with them..they will never see it how us normal folks see it.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post

Ask how many Long Islanders haven't had raises in 3 years.
lol. Who cares? really? Maybe they chose the wrong career field. The awesome thing about our United States of America is our pursuit of happiness. Maybe they should move someplace else. Honestly I was so excited to hear that the new contract was published in Snoozeday that I spent a buck and got it. Why? Because I knew that this forum would light up like the fourth of July. I even splurged on popcorn so I would have something to munch on as I read the discontent from the cast of usual characters.

You see boys and girls our bravest men and women, as Avi eloquently wrote, have gone a few years without a raise or contract. The union offered a 2% raise for three years which was rejected. The arbitrator awarded 3.9 because of the countys ability to pay. I think they deserve more but alas this contract expires at the end of the year and it will probably go back into arbitration. Thank your county exec.

I know life is hard, bless your heart I feel for you. I really do but may I suggest you go back to school and retrain for a job that may provide a better income for you and yours. Seriously with the price of health insurance nowadays your going to give yourself an aneurism focusing on this issue and how much others make. Your contributing to the problem. Go on vacation. Relax. Think of something else. Opportunity is everywhere just go out and get it.Fact is these Public Servants competed with 30,000 applicants to get the job. Even Harvard or Princeton is easier to get into.

All I know is that if a person close to me were in a life and death situation and this Police/EMT...Yes they are dually trained, was their chance of survival, I wouldn't question salary. Keep up the good work guys I salute you.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would bet a paycheck that all the people who think the contract is fine and dandy have family in the SCPD.
You're on! I hope you're good for at least $1,200, maybe $1,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Its not worth arguing with them..they will never see it how us normal folks see it.
People with cops in their families are abnormal?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

People with cops in their families are abnormal?
That might explain a lot about me.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM

217 posts, read 255,014 times
Quote:
Contrary to what some would have us believe, this contract was give and take.
Who would want anyone to believe anything else? It's been posted here and acknowledged by all that the SCPD decreased starting salary. I said it before and I'll say it again, only fools believe that is any real give-back. Within 6 months from the hire date they get an increase, and within 6 years they are making $109k without any adjustments.

Quote:
It was the result of arbitration, and arbitration occurs when the county doesn't want to negotiate.
Not necessarity... learn about labor relations before making silly statements on a message board when trying to defend an indefensible position.

Quote:
Well, as the fellow in the article said, if you don't want to negotiate, then you get what a third party gives you. That means that the other side may get things you're not happy with.
True, except the county is playing against the house, and the house always wins. Binding arbitration on LI for the county police is a scam in which the departments in the 2 counties negotiate off eachother. The arbitrator looks to nassau's or suffolk's) contract and then the county's ability to pay. Do you get based based on your employer's ability to pay, or the scarcity of your skill set?

Quote:
So, if you're going to be upset, be upset with the county for not having the drive or talent to negotiate.
It's not about having the drive or skill set to negotiate, you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about

The county is facing an unbeatable opponent and the system is in a death spiral, thanks to Tom Gulotta.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
lol. Who cares?
So you are laughing that some people haven't had a raise in the last 3 years due to the economy? Thanks for showing your true colors...

Quote:
really? Maybe they chose the wrong career field. The awesome thing about our United States of America is our pursuit of happiness. Maybe they should move someplace else.
How about maybe, just maybe, the economy is in the middle of a recession and the free markets have pulled back. Maybe it's no fault of their own why this happened.

How arrogant and low of you to blame the fact that many people are out of work or haven't gotten a raise on them in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. Unfortunately, this is the typical attitude of law enforcement on Long Island.

Quote:
Honestly I was so excited to hear that the new contract was published in Snoozeday that I spent a buck and got it. Why? Because I knew that this forum would light up like the fourth of July. I even splurged on popcorn so I would have something to munch on as I read the discontent from the cast of usual characters.
Of course, most rational and unbiased people felt they were already overpaid and the tax burden is too much. Now we hear they are getting more... our reaction shouldn't be a surprise.

Quote:
You see boys and girls our bravest men and women, as Avi eloquently wrote, have gone a few years without a raise or contract. The union offered a 2% raise for three years which was rejected. The arbitrator awarded 3.9 because of the countys ability to pay. I think they deserve more but alas this contract expires at the end of the year and it will probably go back into arbitration. Thank your county exec.
And as was noted in this thread, most people have gone without raises (or even jobs) in the last 3 years. This is a recession, the cops can do just fine making their already BLOATED salary.

The cops also didn't have to worry about their retirement like the rest of us when the stock market tanked - they have the guaranteed pension.

As I said to the other uninformed poster, the ability of the county to pay should be irrelevant. In most jobs, the ability of the employer to pay is meaningless. It's all about the value and scarcity of the skill set brought to the job. For the police, thanks to BS law, it's not.

Quote:
I know life is hard, bless your heart I feel for you. I really do but may I suggest you go back to school and retrain for a job that may provide a better income for you and yours. Seriously with the price of health insurance nowadays your going to give yourself an aneurism focusing on this issue and how much others make. Your contributing to the problem. Go on vacation. Relax. Think of something else. Opportunity is everywhere just go out and get it.Fact is these Public Servants competed with 30,000 applicants to get the job. Even Harvard or Princeton is easier to get into.
Don't patronize anyone here. And again, how dare you say anyone should go back to school like it's our fault we don't have the scam-benefits and pay that the SCPD does. The SCPD and NCPD have what they have due to their ability to take advantage of the system, nothing more. In my opinion, it's borderline criminal.

Quote:
All I know is that if a person close to me were in a life and death situation and this Police/EMT...Yes they are dually trained, was their chance of survival, I wouldn't question salary. Keep up the good work guys I salute you.
I agree, I just don't believe we should pay them a total compensation that's 50% more than what they can get for the same service.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Great post and an excellent idea. We already have cheaper police forces out there. Let's let the public sector feel a nice little benefit of the private sector (layoffs) and layoff the SCPD and NCPD cops out there and hire back people into the much more reasonably paid police forces that already exist.

The deputies in Suffolk do an excellent job and there's no reason these guys cannot completely replace the SCPD.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Avienne -- I am having a problem opening the link. Is there anyway to perhaps c&p the data?

One issue I do have with this is that while we are being led to believe there are some savings up front (starting salaries, etc.) we are still going to be paying out the back end in the way of steep pensions. Pay me now or pay me later scenario.

I had the opportunity to glance over Friday's article while out yesterday afternoon. One thing that caught my eye was the fact that on the surface, there appears to be a salary 'competition' between NCPD and SCPD. NCPD went over the 100G mark a few years ago, and now SCPD has nudged past the NCPD high water mark. Meanwhile the guys on the job in NYC won't see anywhere close to that. Instead of reaching for the stars, shouldn't we be staying within the atmosphere?

I've adamantly defended the PDs in earlier threads, but given our current economic climate, everyone is feeling some pain. Yes, this contract/arbitration is a done deal; should the taxpayers use this information in an effort to 'rally the troops' before the next bargaining commences?
Great post!

I enjoy reading your posts and your take on different situations. You seems to bring a clear, logical voice to the discussions.

I've seen threads in the past that completely bashed cops and people wanted to laugh at them as they struggled to make their mortgage payments. That's definitely not what this is about. We need a well-paid police force and highly qualified individuals. What we don't need is a police force that cares more about their contract and how they squeeze the most out of the county, even after they are already making out like bandits.

As you point out, the competition between Nassau and Suffolk (leap frog effect) is killing the counties and causing a "death spiral" in which every new contract increases the pay to more ridiculous levels.

When is it going to be enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island