Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why didn't you just move to Old Westbury in the first place if you are planning to move there in 5 short years?

How are you going to send your child to Jericho High School if you will be living in Old Westbury?

Besides the school district, another problem in Westbury is absentee slumlords chopping up single-family homes into "rent-a-rooms" and filling them full of illegal aliens.

I would suggest you get active in your local government and tell your local officials they better clean up the place.

I think that there are many nice homes in Westbury/Village of Westbury. Now if the people can light a fire under the butt of their local government to clean some things up, you will be getting somewhere.
Our Village can really be a nice place to live, but like you said, the slumlords and their flophouses keep popping up, especially east of Post Ave. Being a Village getting stricter enforcement of housing codes shouldn't be very hard, but the politics of this village seem to be stubburn to change. The (In)Action Party has been control of this village for too long, Strada may not be mayor anymore but he's still pulling all the strings. This village needs a new party to run on quality of life issues. Shut down illegal apartments, enforce town loitering codes, and bring a better facelift to Post Ave. For example, replace C-Town with a nicer market similar to North Shore farms or Freshway. Get rid of the bodegas.
There's nothing wrong with apartments in the village, they are trying to do that with the new buildings by the train station. We need to attract young professionals.
I've brought up my thoughts with the village government, but as usual I get stonewalled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times
I do not know the ratio of split, but trom a glance at the map, it looks like less than 10% of the Village of Old westbury are zoned for Westbury Schools, 35% Jericho and 55% East Williston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Village of Old Westbury is partly in the Town of North Hempstead and partly in the Town of Oyster Bay and is partly in the Westbury Union Free School District, the East Williston Union Free School District and the Jericho Union Free School District.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I do not know the ratio of split, but trom a glance at the map, it looks like less than 10% of the Village of Old westbury are zoned for Westbury Schools, 35% Jericho and 55% East Williston.
And Westbury High School is right in Old Westbury itself!

I am shocked they don't go to the school right in Old Westbury!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 17,479 times
It really amazes me what people classify as being a better area than another. When it comes to Westbury can someone explain to me what would make Hicksville with its levitt homes better than the village of Westbury homes. The latter is much bigger and more diversified. The homes in Hicksville basically lack character. As far as Hicksville school district goes, they have a huge drug problem in the H.S. with heroin and meth. That is not a Westbury H.S. problem. They have other problems, but that one isn't it. Also, Hicksville is a working class community vs. Westbury, which has a more of a mixture of working class to professionals. New Cassel is to me separate and part from the rest of Westbury as was mentioned earlier with the exception that they share the same school district. In looking for a home I definitely think Westbury is a better bang for your buck than Hicksville.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn-in-the-house View Post
It really amazes me what people classify as being a better area than another. When it comes to Westbury can someone explain to me what would make Hicksville with its levitt homes better than the village of Westbury homes. The latter is much bigger and more diversified. The homes in Hicksville basically lack character. As far as Hicksville school district goes, they have a huge drug problem in the H.S. with heroin and meth. That is not a Westbury H.S. problem. They have other problems, but that one isn't it. Also, Hicksville is a working class community vs. Westbury, which has a more of a mixture of working class to professionals. New Cassel is to me separate and part from the rest of Westbury as was mentioned earlier with the exception that they share the same school district. In looking for a home I definitely think Westbury is a better bang for your buck than Hicksville.
I agree that many of the houses in Westbury Village are nicer than many in Hicksville.

The school district in Westbury is really, really bad so whoever moves there with kids needs to seriously consider paying for private school. That's the problem.

The school district in Hicksville is much more solid and people do not have to seriously consider private school for their kids. Now as for "meth and heroin" in the high school, I have never heard that. Actually this is the first I've heard of ANY methamphetamine problem in a LI high school. What are you talking about? Methamphetamine or methadone?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM

37 posts, read 63,711 times
I am really sick of the notion that anywhere "minorities" live its a bad place to raise a family. Really sick of it, if you are not a member of any minority group and don't feel comfortable around blacks or people of Latin American decent, that's your preference and this is America, you are free to do what your heart desire. As far as the school district is concerned I challenge anyone in this forum to walk in off the street and try to wonder around in any of our schools here in Westbury, from Pre K to High School. Don't rely on word of mouth regarding our schools, visit the schools when you have the opportunity to do so. The school results are directly attributed to new students from other countries, English is their second language, when an examination is given in English guess what? they don't do as well. But they are all welcome because we have teachers working hard to fill this void.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,595 times
While its understandable you feel that way, LI is one of the most segregated areas in the country and people hold strong to the idea that black in an area mean the area is bad. This is not Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, etc. where desirable suburbs have substantial black populations (or to be completely unfiltered where white people would not run for the hills when blacks comein). It is a very unfortunate way of life but a homeowner needs to think about this when investing in areas with substantial minority populations on the Island.

People on the forum tend to talk in codewords but its pretty much strictly racial and its strictly OK on LI to be this way. A lot of the middle class white(r) suburbs are not so great but in the eyes of many (and is somewhat true, such is life) the mere presence of whites is a plus whereas blacks is a minus. You are going to have to move off LI if you are unhappy with it.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM

I grew up right here In New Cassel, I am a product of Westbury School District. My classmates graduated and few have attended the most "elite" school in this country. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown Columbia just to name a few and more. If you have a good family structure, your child will do very well in any of the schools here in Westbury, but this is true everywhere. Its infuriating that people have wrong views and harbor them as facts, especially when these views are contrary to reality. If a large influx of students learning English their first time, enrolled within Jericho District what do you think will happen to those excellent marks within the district? As far as homes are concerned Westbury have some of the most beautiful homes on long island and if your pocket is deep then go north of Jericho turnpike to Old Westbury.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM

Really

Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM

I guess I should remove my children from the school district because someone posted that Westbury school district is really, really bad. better yet I think I will dress them both in Kevlar from now on. I think I will put bullet proof windows in my house just in case I have been lucky the past 20 years living here. Get real, I guess we should rename the town Canterbury and have all the bodegas torn down or at least have building façade resembling the Friars Tavern on every corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island