Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,811 times

Advertisements

Liberty Mutual is cancelling my homeowners insurance after 25 years because I live less than one mile from the water. They are afraid of high winds. Live in Glen Cove never had a problem before do not live on the water I am high up any solutions or different insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM

28 posts, read 43,893 times
I am looking to buy a house in South Merrick and facing the same issue: no one wants to insure if it is less than a mile from water.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
I'm in Stony Brook near the water and was just non-renewed by Allstate.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 PM

9,915 posts, read 23,020,357 times
A have a daughter in Huntington - the mailing address is Huntington but bordering Greenlawn - who just got a notice of non-renewal from Allstate.
Water??? Give me a break!!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
A have a daughter in Huntington - the mailing address is Huntington but bordering Greenlawn - who just got a notice of non-renewal from Allstate.
Water??? Give me a break!!
That's what I told them....I a, so high up, that almost all of LI would be under water if we received a storm surge/flood.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,098,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm in Stony Brook near the water and was just non-renewed by Allstate.
Same here in Rocky Point with Allstate OBH and they could care less that were 100ft up the bluffs.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 AM

The wind nonsense is ridiculous, too.

Are they non-renewing in the windy city?
My mother said it has gotten rather bad with HO ins in FL.
What about everyone in the midwest where they are susceptible to tornadoes?

Enough already. This is their business. The premiums all insured parties have been paying in over the decades are supposed to be there to cover such things. Maybe I am being too simplistic, but if they've been receiving the premiums, isn't a portion supposed to be allocated into some sort of into some sort of instrument to earn money?

They get hit hard a few times -- does that give them carte blanche to back out?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,949,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The wind nonsense is ridiculous, too.

Are they non-renewing in the windy city?
My mother said it has gotten rather bad with HO ins in FL.
What about everyone in the midwest where they are susceptible to tornadoes?

Enough already. This is their business. The premiums all insured parties have been paying in over the decades are supposed to be there to cover such things. Maybe I am being too simplistic, but if they've been receiving the premiums, isn't a portion supposed to be allocated into some sort of into some sort of instrument to earn money?

They get hit hard a few times -- does that give them carte blanche to back out?
They are private companies driven by profit and nothing else. Look at what's going on with the rise in healthcare premiums . It's about making money and they've calculated that the risk of insuring houses on LI isn't worth it. It doesn't make 100% sense to me from a purely practical standpoint..all those premiums and how much wind damage paid out on the last 50 years? Those numbers don't add up to m.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,098,498 times
Theyll all start writing again AFTER the big hurricane hits.

Kind of like theyll start insuring us again after weve found a cure for Cancer.

Lets bomb Hartford.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,985,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They are private companies driven by profit and nothing else. Look at what's going on with the rise in healthcare premiums . It's about making money and they've calculated that the risk of insuring houses on LI isn't worth it. It doesn't make 100% sense to me from a purely practical standpoint..all those premiums and how much wind damage paid out on the last 50 years? Those numbers don't add up to m.

Actually, they are public companies, at least AllState is. Two things, not only do they want to turn a profit, they also want to make up what they lost in the stock/bond markets over the last two years. In order to do that, they raise rates for remaining customers in the "open block" of business they maintain and they non-renew in areas deemed to have a higher than normal probability of being hit with a catastrophic event. An event they keep quoting is the hurricane of 1938 which did tremendous damage to the island and it wasn't even populated back then, mostly farms and open land. They are also doing the same thing in Brooklyn - you live near the water, either your rates get jacked or you get dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island