Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
As Crooks knows my girlfriend lives in RP. I choose to live with those that use Axe Body Spray..ie, in the Pequas.

RP is actually a nice area. A couple of rough spots here and there but nothing to be overly concerned about. The newer area, where my girlfriend lives, has a different "feel" than the older cottage/bungalow area. In general, I would not hesitate to live in RP. With that said, it does have more than its fair of spandex wearing trash and Nascar loving losers.

It's an ok place...but Crooks, face it, it isn't Massapequa.
I grew up in Massapequa and moved with my then fiance to Rocky Point.
Your assessment is a little more kind and, IMHO a little more accurate than Dman's, who is basing his off of having lived in Sound Beach.

Of the two, Sound Beach (at the time I lived out in RP) had more issues.

I lived in the bungalow area in Rocky Point, not far from Broadway -- the new houses (Jonahs Path area) weren't even built then. There was the tides, which was the upscale section of town back then (and I believe still is, despite the new JP houses) and I witnessed many little bungalows being converted into larger, family homes. In fact, the place I had rented was ultimately leveled and is now a two story, 4 br home.

Many of my neighbors were transplants from the Three Village area, much like Crooks is. We had taken to calling our section, Stony Brook East as so many people were from it! If there were any Section 8 houses, we would never have known. My neighbors were blue collar, most were married, a few divorced and one openly gay -- who never had issues with anyone.

Yes, there were some rentals, I should know -- I lived in one.

Yes, there were some bikers. I should know -- hubby is one. As with any group, there are mostly good and one or two bad apples. Did I ever see marauding bikers, tearing up the town? No. Dman, if I recall correctly, did have a big problem with a group of them who were renting a house adjacent to his in Sound Beach.

I felt safe pushing a stroller about town, walking to the shops, the laundry, etc. Yes, there were a few spots which were tired looking (up in and behind the former Maddens, south of the FD.)

One thing I had noticed early on after the move from Massapequa to RP was there were a number of older Italian people in my neighborhood. The gardens, the grapevines, the Mary on the Half Shell -- it was almost like having a piece of Massapequa still with me. I have been slammed for making comments about the Italian people, but those I had known, became friendly with, etc., liked to keep the neighborhood tight, an enclave of Italian-Americans. I don't blame anyone for wanting to live amongst people with whom they are most comfortable, provided it is not done in a damaging, discriminatory way. (to wit -- I live in an area in which economics/education are the ties that bind, not color.) I do believe the once heavy Italian presence, the number of homes once owned by Italian families, kept it from becoming like Mastic.

The area in general has been improving since we moved out. If I didn't get the deal I did on the house I currently live in, I wouldn't have had any problem staying in RP and putting my children through school there.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
My family used to summer in RP. We built one of those little bungalows.
RP is OK but it's surrounded by much nicer areas, so it's the working schleps north shore community.
If you're looking on the north shore you can find some deals and it's not a bad place to live at all. Has been a bit misrepresented by a certain member here though! There's traffic and quite a drive to E-W routes if you have to commute. The "Small town feel" i've read about is fantasy, unless you compare it to every other town lacking small town appeal.
That said, if you don't mind the north shore (Personally I hate it) I would not hesitate to live in most parts of RP.
As for mastic...I think the Mastic North comment was said in jest. The only comparisson you can make between Rp and Mastic is the "Blue collar" aspect.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I live in Sound Beach and support this message
Sound Beach is an area which as really seen improvement since my time in RP.

Housing prices going through the roof really helped SB as more young families came in and purchased homes.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
My family used to summer in RP. We built one of those little bungalows.
RP is OK but it's surrounded by much nicer areas, so it's the working schleps north shore community.
If you're looking on the north shore you can find some deals and it's not a bad place to live at all. Has been a bit misrepresented by a certain member here though! There's traffic and quite a drive to E-W routes if you have to commute. The "Small town feel" i've read about is fantasy, unless you compare it to every other town lacking small town appeal.
That said, if you don't mind the north shore (Personally I hate it) I would not hesitate to live in most parts of RP.
As for mastic...I think the Mastic North comment was said in jest. The only comparisson you can make between Rp and Mastic is the "Blue collar" aspect.
I believe you have to live in an area year round to truly appreciate the community and the people who comprise it.

Things have changed a lot since your family built their bungalow.

Were you a child when it was built? I can imagine years ago, being a child in RP, having the beach, the hills and all must have been great fun.

As for the area, different strokes for different folks. I couldn't wait to move out of a south shore Nassau County cookie cutter development on flat land. Hills, trees and individuality are more to my liking, which others might find off-putting.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I had a buddy witness a fight on the beach during the fourth of July between some white supremacists that live on Pearl.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe you have to live in an area year round to truly appreciate the community and the people who comprise it.

Things have changed a lot since your family built their bungalow.

Were you a child when it was built? I can imagine years ago, being a child in RP, having the beach, the hills and all must have been great fun.

As for the area, different strokes for different folks. I couldn't wait to move out of a south shore Nassau County cookie cutter development on flat land. Hills, trees and individuality are more to my liking, which others might find off-putting.

My family's beach house was built and sold long before I was born.
Used to eat at Big Barry's all the time and even went to the drive-in on numerous occasions. Bowled at the bowling alley all the time.
My friend shot himself on the beach in RP too.
We used to drive up from N Shirley when it used to take 15 minutes. Now you're a good 35 minutes.
I'm familar with the area; it's not necessary to hang out at 7-11 and immerse myself in the culture.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
Wonderful obscure 80's movie reference...

"When Cameron was in Egypt's land..let my, Cameron, goooooo"

Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Wonderful obscure 80's movie reference...

"When Cameron was in Egypt's land..let my, Cameron, goooooo"

Not really obscure; it's been on TBS weekly for 8 years.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
RP is a fine little town. I used to work there and I grew up in SWR schools. It's too far to do a commute to NYC but otherwise I'd live there without question.

Miss the drive-in! And Rocky Point Bakery. Pickle place is still there though.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM

217 posts, read 255,045 times
Thank you to everyone for their honest input. RP seems like a nice little town and I'll definitely check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island