Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
There might one bedroom apartments available in queens for under $1500. If you want to be in the suburbs, Long Island does not really have affordable apartment complexes, but you might be able to find apartments in homes ( many of them without permits - referred to as illegal apartments) for that much in many areas in Long Island. There are also many legal 2 family homes in places like Mineola. 1500 is going to be tough though.

Hempstead is another place you can look at where you can find apartments for under 1500, but it is considered a higher crime area ( compared to the rest of Long Island).
OP stay away from HEMPSTEAD Village! Total hellhole. I can't even believe anyone mentioned it to you as a place to look in ANY context except sarcastically. Other hellholes in Nassau to avoid no matter how cheap the rent: Roosevelt, Uniondale, Freeport.

Look for apartments in Mineola and New Hyde Park to start with. I think you can find a legal 1 bedroom in a building or 2 family home for under $1500 in Nassau, although you may have more to choose from on the south shore (longer commute, but certainly do-able and well under 1 hour).

PS: I would not recommend living in Queens as a renter and working in Nassau because your car insurance will be much higher plus you will have to pay an additional income tax as Queens is part of NYC, so why live there and add more bills? Plus anywhere in Queens that is a nice neighborhood closely commutable to Roslyn like Bayside, Douglaston, etc., will have similar rent prices.

PPS: Do not let anyone talk you into moving to Suffolk County unless you like sitting in traffic, filling up the gas tank A LOT, and repairing wear and tear on your car. The rent may be cheaper but I don't think it will be worth it in your case.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-18-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Have you visited Roslyn yet?

Roslyn and quite a few neighboring areas are the equivalent of Bexley in the Columbus Ohio area. Similar demographics, as well.

Be prepared, you won't be able to find the type of apartment complexes and duplex apartments that are available in Columbus or the Columbus suburbs. On Long Island, most will be more like the type of apartments or houses that Ohio State students rent when they want to live off campus, except this how people who are not students live if they rent on Long Island.

Do you wish to live in NYC or in Nassau county? It really depends on your interests and price range. Apartments on Long Island are not any cheaper than living in Queens County. Make sure your new salary is going to cover the costs of your higher living expenses. LIPA is much higher than AEP.
Surprisingly, car insurance is not all that different.

I have some familiarity with Columbus since I had family and friends there and almost moved there myself. I still talk to a couple of friends who live there, but it has been quite a while since my last visit.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
My doctor is actually in Hempstead ( near Hofstra) and while it is not a desirable place to live in, the rents are quite affordable. There are more than 50000 people in Hempstead, and most people there seem to lead a normal life. I know someone who could only afford $1000 for renting a single bedroom, and she barely signed a contract with an apartment complex in Fulton Ave, but it was taken before she could get it.

But there seems to be higher crime there. The school situation in Hempstead is very distrubing. But living in a secured apartment complex might not be so bad if you can afford only $1000 for rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OP stay away from HEMPSTEAD Village! Total hellhole. I can't even believe anyone mentioned it to you as a place to look in ANY context except sarcastically. Other hellholes in Nassau to avoid no matter how cheap the rent: Roosevelt, Uniondale, Freeport.

Look for apartments in Mineola and New Hyde Park to start with. I think you can find a legal 1 bedroom in a building or 2 family home for under $1500 in Nassau, although you may have more to choose from on the south shore (longer commute, but certainly do-able and well under 1 hour).

PS: I would not recommend living in Queens as a renter and working in Nassau because your car insurance will be much higher plus you will have to pay an additional income tax as Queens is part of NYC, so why live there and add more bills? Plus anywhere in Queens that is a nice neighborhood closely commutable to Roslyn like Bayside, Douglaston, etc., will have similar rent prices.

PPS: Do not let anyone talk you into moving to Suffolk County unless you like sitting in traffic, filling up the gas tank A LOT, and repairing wear and tear on your car. The rent may be cheaper but I don't think it will be worth it in your case.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
My doctor is actually in Hempstead ( near Hofstra) and while it is not a desirable place to live in, the rents are quite affordable. There are more than 50000 people in Hempstead, and most people there seem to lead a normal life. I know someone who could only afford $1000 for renting a single bedroom, and she barely signed a contract with an apartment complex in Fulton Ave, but it was taken before she could get it.

But there seems to be higher crime there. The school situation in Hempstead is very distrubing. But living in a secured apartment complex might not be so bad if you can afford only $1000 for rent.
But was she a newbie to the Island? I doubt it. She must have been in desperate straits and really, really unable to find anything to even think of Hempstead. Where did she end up? I hope somewhere better!

I guess if you stay in the "secured" (armed guard?) apartment and only go out with a bulletproof vest? Hempstead is gangbanger central. Yech. Somebody from suburban Ohio would br horrified over there!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
She ended up renting in Woodside, queens. I have visited Hempstead a few times. It seems to have pretty good public transportation, and I felt quite safe walking around in broad daylight.

But I can see the perception of Hempstead. A few years ago, I went to the lab-corp in Mineola and it had a 2 hour wait for a blood test. They advised people to go to Hempstead, but most would rather sit in Mineola and wait for 2 hours. I decided to go to down to Hempstead, got my test done in 10 minutes. The Hempstead lab person was also more skillful and much better than the person in Mineola, who had trouble finding the vein last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
But was she a newbie to the Island? I doubt it. She must have been in desperate straits and really, really unable to find anything to even think of Hempstead. Where did she end up? I hope somewhere better!

I guess if you stay in the "secured" (armed guard?) apartment and only go out with a bulletproof vest? Hempstead is gangbanger central. Yech. Somebody from suburban Ohio would br horrified over there!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 17,363 times
Is Brooklyn a reasonable place to look when working in Roslyn?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 17,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Have you visited Roslyn yet?

Roslyn and quite a few neighboring areas are the equivalent of Bexley in the Columbus Ohio area. Similar demographics, as well.

Be prepared, you won't be able to find the type of apartment complexes and duplex apartments that are available in Columbus or the Columbus suburbs. On Long Island, most will be more like the type of apartments or houses that Ohio State students rent when they want to live off campus, except this how people who are not students live if they rent on Long Island.

Do you wish to live in NYC or in Nassau county? It really depends on your interests and price range. Apartments on Long Island are not any cheaper than living in Queens County. Make sure your new salary is going to cover the costs of your higher living expenses. LIPA is much higher than AEP.
Surprisingly, car insurance is not all that different.

I have not yet been to Roslyn. They are flying me out 1st week in April to do a "interview" but I already have the job. I don't mind either NYC or Nassau as the price is a big factor but I don't want to be in a slum either. What is LIPA and AEP?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
She ended up renting in Woodside, queens. I have visited Hempstead a few times. It seems to have pretty good public transportation, and I felt quite safe walking around in broad daylight.

But I can see the perception of Hempstead. A few years ago, I went to the lab-corp in Mineola and it had a 2 hour wait for a blood test. They advised people to go to Hempstead, but most would rather sit in Mineola and wait for 2 hours. I decided to go to down to Hempstead, got my test done in 10 minutes. The Hempstead lab person was also more skillful and much better than the person in Mineola, who had trouble finding the vein last time.
Listen I have to go do something in Hempstead too on occasion! The last time was several years back when I was unemployed and went to the UI One Stop Center there. I went there; I survived! Yet people have been killed there in broad daylight (example: 14 year old NON-gang member stabbed to death by gang bangers at a handball court near Hempstead High who were total strangers to him and whom he did not start any trouble with first), so don't kid yourself about the place.

Just because I may need to go there on occasion, that doesn't mean I would advise anyone to actively seek an apartment there because it's cheaper than other areas. Not unless they really knew what they were getting into ... and Ohio transplants wouldn't.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbast View Post
Is Brooklyn a reasonable place to look when working in Roslyn?
No, the commute would be rough and the nice areas of Brooklyn are much more expensive than your budget.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbast View Post
I have not yet been to Roslyn. They are flying me out 1st week in April to do a "interview" but I already have the job. I don't mind either NYC or Nassau as the price is a big factor but I don't want to be in a slum either. What is LIPA and AEP?

Thanks.
LIPA = Long Island Power Authority: where most residences on LI get their electricity from.

(AEP = I don't know)

When you are here on your visit, talk to the people in the office and ask where they live and ask them if they can recommend any affordable rentals. (Sometimes the best way to find an apartment around here is word of mouth.)

Are you getting a relocation package? If you do, then definitely use the services of a real estate because your new job will pay the fee for you. Just tell the real estate agent that you only want to look at legal apartments. They will know what you mean, so if they play "dumb," don't buy it. (Although they are not allowed to show illegal apartments, some of them still do it anyway.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island