Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 17,365 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I just took an offer to work in Roslyn, NY. I am currently in Columbus, OH and am curious about finding a place that would be less then 1 hour commute to Roslyn. I would like to stay under 1,500 renting if possible but I do realize the New York area is going to be more expensive then the Midwest. It is just me and my wife and we do not have kids, so the schools are not a high priority. Looking for advice on good neighborhoods that won't break the bank. We would prefer more of a suburban feel as we are from the Midwest but are not opposed to city living. Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 15,676 times
Roslyn is a short train ride form Manhattan and if you can afford it, I would recommend living in the NYC as you do not have kids yet.

Once kids come along move to Roslyn - shcools are great!

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukachka View Post
Roslyn is a short train ride form Manhattan
not really as the Roslyn station itself is on the Oyster Bay line

to answer OP's question, you might want to take a look at the apartment complex west of the train station

Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

rbast, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find an apartment or house to rent, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that apartment or house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn

rbast, the geography of Roslyn can be quite confusing, even to locals, let alone someone coming from another part of the U.S., because Roslyn is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (3,496 acres) are not in the village (381 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn:

Roslyn is a village (incorporated in 1932) in the center-east part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the north-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Roslyn in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Flower Hill, the Hamlet of Port Washington, Hempstead Harbor and the Village of Roslyn Harbor; on the east by the Village of East Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; and, on the west by the Village of Roslyn Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

Roslyn is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address that are not in the Village of Roslyn are in the Village of Roslyn Harbor, the Village of East Hills, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights, the Village of Roslyn Estates, the Hamlet of Searingtown, the Village of North Hills, the Village of Flower Hill and the Village of Old Westbury.

Also, complicating the matter even more, the "Roslyn, NY 11576" ZIP Code postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas separated by the "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577", the "Albertson, NY 11507" and the "Manhasset, NY 11030" ZIP Code postal zones.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 17,365 times
Thanks for the info thus far. I am really looking to stay in the $1,500 a month or lower range. I have been looking at Roslyn and surrounding area and cannot seem to find anything less then $2,000 a month!!! That is soooo expensive!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
not really as the Roslyn station itself is on the Oyster Bay line

I grew up in Roslyn Harbor & my Dad parked in a lot in Manhasset (no "changing at Jamaica for him " . I think the ride was less than thirty minutes.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,247 times
nancy, i assume your family lived in 1 of them sections where you can get the Port Wash train line parking sticker?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukachka View Post
Roslyn is a short train ride form Manhattan and if you can afford it, I would recommend living in the NYC as you do not have kids yet.

Once kids come along move to Roslyn - shcools are great!

Good luck!
Manhattan with under $1500 a month rent?

Never happen.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
There might one bedroom apartments available in queens for under $1500. If you want to be in the suburbs, Long Island does not really have affordable apartment complexes, but you might be able to find apartments in homes ( many of them without permits - referred to as illegal apartments) for that much in many areas in Long Island. There are also many legal 2 family homes in places like Mineola. 1500 is going to be tough though.

Hempstead is another place you can look at where you can find apartments for under 1500, but it is considered a higher crime area ( compared to the rest of Long Island).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island