Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaselvis View Post
you need 200.000 to get by on longisland..and the drugs gangs and drinking is out of control on longisland starting at 12 years old....be careful....

Not true at all...my husband and I are in our mid/late 20s, no kids yet, make around 130k together with a 2319 mortgage payment. We manage to save nearly $1000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
you need 200.000 to get by on longisland..and the drugs gangs and drinking is out of control on longisland starting at 12 years old....be careful....
Hoo boy...if I had 200K we'd be living like Kings.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:57 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Not true at all...my husband and I are in our mid/late 20s, no kids yet, make around 130k together with a 2319 mortgage payment. We manage to save nearly $1000 a month.
That is about what I would calculate. I would guess the cost of a couple living on LI is about $70k. You and your husband make $130000 of which 30% goes to taxes, leaving you with ~$90k gross. Take away $70 and you are left with $20k!

Start adding in kids, five in my case, and the minimum is probably about $160000.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:00 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
That is about what I would calculate. I would guess the cost of a couple living on LI is about $70k. You and your husband make $130000 of which 30% goes to taxes, leaving you with ~$90k gross. Take away $70 and you are left with $20k!

Start adding in kids, five in my case, and the minimum is probably about $160000.
People who don't have kids always seem to forget that they eat, drink, need clothes, and on and on and on. It's llike they think kids cost absolutely nothing. I guess I must have thought the same thing back in the day, LOL, but it always surprises me how they always need SOMETHING!!! My kids have already outgrown the winter clothes that we bought them a couple of months ago. And I don't have "big kids" who are out and about on their own yet!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:17 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateny View Post
150k a year? what the hell do you people do with your money.. blow it all on hookers and coke? You can comfortably get by on under 70k a year on long island if you dont have more than one brand new car, a house under 500k and don't spend ridiculously. I know plenty of families of 4+ that get by on under 50k.
I do not see how a family of 4+ could get by here on under $50k a year.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:44 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Whats your Mortgage payment like with taxes?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:28 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
This guy is on a thread necro spree!!

Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
This thread is such an eye opener for me up in Dutchess-I posted way back when it started. Where we are your darned lucky to find a job that will be even $40000 a year. Most people here now commute to Westchester or even further south. Since I posted both of us lost our jobs. Hubby after 21 years in the construction industry-it's tanked. So he's got to start all over and went to school for HVAC-now no one is hiring for that. I broke an ankle so I can't be certified to drive a school bus anymore. There are no jobs here at all where we are. We struggle paying our bills-no unemployment or disability insurance-just our retirement. If we were living on Long Island and this had happened, we'd have had to move almost immediately. Where do these high paying jobs come from? What sector is that that you get such high salaries? I couldn't imagine having to have a income of $150k just to live with a family-it boggles my mind. We were just breaking even at 60k for a family of 5. Jobs here aren't offering more than $10 a hour now-seems they figure they can hire cheap because if you need work-you'll work for nothing. Our taxes here since the influx of lower county dwellers has gone way up. 17 years ago my taxes were 1800 a year-now they are over 4400. It's crazy. Same goes with our car insurance and homeowners has gone through the roof too. I can't imagine what LI'ers pay for the same-you all must be broke. I wonder at time what we've done wrong when I hear how much better the lower half of the state does.....

Old 12-26-2009, 04:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
This thread is such an eye opener for me up in Dutchess-I posted way back when it started. Where we are your darned lucky to find a job that will be even $40000 a year. Most people here now commute to Westchester or even further south. Since I posted both of us lost our jobs. Hubby after 21 years in the construction industry-it's tanked. So he's got to start all over and went to school for HVAC-now no one is hiring for that. I broke an ankle so I can't be certified to drive a school bus anymore. There are no jobs here at all where we are. We struggle paying our bills-no unemployment or disability insurance-just our retirement. If we were living on Long Island and this had happened, we'd have had to move almost immediately. Where do these high paying jobs come from? What sector is that that you get such high salaries? I couldn't imagine having to have a income of $150k just to live with a family-it boggles my mind. We were just breaking even at 60k for a family of 5. Jobs here aren't offering more than $10 a hour now-seems they figure they can hire cheap because if you need work-you'll work for nothing. Our taxes here since the influx of lower county dwellers has gone way up. 17 years ago my taxes were 1800 a year-now they are over 4400. It's crazy. Same goes with our car insurance and homeowners has gone through the roof too. I can't imagine what LI'ers pay for the same-you all must be broke. I wonder at time what we've done wrong when I hear how much better the lower half of the state does.....

High salaries: People who work on wall st or high end corporate/banking jobs. Some people who own their own businesses, professionals like doctors and some (not all) lawyers.

Then you have those whose salaries come from other tax payers:

Nassau and Suffolk County Police, making easily over 100K per head (98K base with plenty of overtime available.)

School teachers in public schools on LI are making 75-80K after 10-15 years, maxing out around 110K or so after 20 years.

LIRR workers are making 75K base. I know a few guys who are air traffic controllers and their salary is up there too. A few other areas here and there.

For the most part the average person here is supporting the above salaries. There's a reason taxes are high in NY, it's because many of the best jobs outside of Manhattan are working for the municipalities. In the old days the best jobs here were in the aerospace industry. A lot of people bought houses and raised families on one salary from Grumman or Fairchild. They're all gone. Although in all reality you could say that companies making war planes were feeding at the government trough as well.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM

66 posts, read 230,184 times
Quote:
Wow man, lay off the crack!

Me and my fiancee are getting married this coming summer. We are pretty frugal (read: cheap) people, we have been trying to figure out how much house we could afford. We havent lived together on long island, so going from saving every penny we can (for a house), to budgeting for a home is a daunting task.

Combined we make ~150k gross, and are looking at a $365,000 with ~$25-30k down payment, with taxes of 10,000/year (assessed tax value of the home was almost 200k more than we are paying, so we are hoping to see a tax reduction). We both have $300/month car payments... no debt other than that.

Do you guys think we are buying to much house? It looks like now and the next couple years will be good times to buy a house here, and we really like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island