Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Florida ?..... ummmm... Okaaaaay ! If you are good with living there, its a no brainer. Plan your move soon.

If you plan to stay on LI, you can also check out FHA for low down payments (either its 3.5, going to go upto 5%) Also for Condos FHA will ask for 10% down as Long Island is still classified as "risky" (I forget the actual jargon used to describe it). In addition, there will be a PMI roughly around $110-125 per month on your loan if you do FHA and an upfront 1.75% MIP. Not the best option, but its there for your consideration.

I checked todays rates on wells fargo and FHA is 5.0% for 30 yr fixed, awesome.... your call !!
Re: mortgages ... as a first time buyer family, also look into SONYMA mortgages if you have good credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Advice to you and your husband is to continue to rent, while saving, at least for another year or two. Don't worry, housing prices are not going up until unemployment get back down to 7%. Do you see that happening anytime soon - companies are continuing to make do with what they have or downsizing, government is laying off or will be given the state of the economy in both NY and NJ, CT isn't too far behind. Don't listen to the "stretch for the house" stuff, that is what got so many people into trouble these last 3 years.

Any home you plan on buying, make sure you have at least 6 months mortgage payments in the bank - that's principle, interest, insurance, heat. The LIPA bills alone will kill you - search the forums or ask around at the Bellmore office.
The most prudent course of action, but I know it's hard to wait wait wait all the time to own something.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Maybe if you wake up on echo ..we're talking about Rocky Point, not Mt. Sinai, and I'm talking about rush hour.

Please, for the good of all that's sacred, ..just stop. You dismiss the increased commuting time by a substantial amount.
No ....were talking about Sound Beach and it is 20 from Echo to the LIE.I would know I live out here.

Now for God sakes stop touting the 'Taint Dman.(and stop hard selling condos...awful move, try selling one right now)Just because you aint on either shore and close to the LIE doesent necessarily make it a good move.Youre trading off an awful lot for the privilege of CO2 emissions.
Move to Nassau for F sake if you want convenience.The only thing less compelling than Central Brookhaven is Central Islip.

The beauty of LI IS its shorelines.Why would you want pay through the nose to avoid it.Now despite all the obvious Mod Cons of living along the LIE a Sound Beach house (Bungalows,bikers boulders warts n all) in Miller Place Schools still trumps the hell out of a RonkonCondo.

Bottom line its pretty much 20 min to the LIE from anywhere on either Shores so please stop with the distortions.(I make it in 15 down the Billy F)

I wish you well Dman, I think Sachem schools are fine, even excellent, but if you had the choice between the two for similar $$$ ....the house by the beach seems the smarter pick.

JMHO.

Peace

Crooks

Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Let's not get into the "If you are ANYWHERE on the North Shore, you're on the Gold Coast" fight! LOL!

I never even implied that.

So I didnt take the bait.

Crooks

Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
As per google...

Oyster Bay to LIE = 10 mins....
Manhasset to LIE = 12 mins....
Kings Park to LIE = 8 mins....
Sound beach to LIE = 26 mins....

Not all places in the North and close to the shore are far from LIE.... its just that some are.... err.... further....

Now Crooks can do Sound beach to LIE in 20 mins ?? thats 25% less time than google (I'm not even talking rush hour here)
So the revised Crook times for other places are as follows...

Oyster Bay to LIE = 7.5 mins....
Manhasset to LIE = 9 mins....
Kings Park to LIE = 6 mins....
Sound beach to LIE = 20 mins....

I'm not saying you can afford a house in the other towns.... but maybe this shows you why you ARE able to afford a house in SB !
Perhaps.

Thank you for the data.

You still have made no point.

Im not going to debunk this myth,I assure you in the years to follow you will wish you werent on top of the LIE.

The perception that NE Brookhaven = Orient has probably helped in keeping this area in tact.

You guys win....its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too far.
Go get a condo.

Enjoy

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-19-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 01:42 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thank you for the data.

You still have made no point
I have made my points in the previous pages, but you are looking through it Crooks.

1. 20 mins from sound beach to LIE is not possible in rush hour.
2. Sachem schools are comparable to schools up there.

Ok there you have it again.... obviously its my opinion which differs from yours, and thats okay.

The good thing coming out of this thread is "hopefully" people who want to buy will actually do the commute and check it out for themselves, and that is a darn good alternative to masking the truth.

As you say....
Peace !!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Let's not get into the "If you are ANYWHERE on the North Shore, you're on the Gold Coast" fight! LOL!

IMHO Gold Coast = Great Neck-CSH/Huntington plus Belle Terre/Nissequogue/Old Field.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I have made my points in the previous pages, but you are looking through it Crooks.

1. 20 mins from sound beach to LIE is not possible in rush hour.
2. Sachem schools are comparable to schools up there.

Ok there you have it again.... obviously its my opinion which differs from yours, and thats okay.

The good thing coming out of this thread is "hopefully" people who want to buy will actually do the commute and check it out for themselves, and that is a darn good alternative to masking the truth.

As you say....
Peace !!
Yes it is.

But not in your Prius ; )
Moped etc.

Peace

Crooks

PS
Sachem schools are fine

Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I never even implied that.

So I didnt take the bait.

Crooks
No you didn't.

That was an OLD OLD argument not on this thread that I was hoping would not be revisited.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookhaven View Post
yes it is.

but not in your prius ; )
moped etc.

peace

crooks

ps
sachem schools are fine
lol!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island