Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Considering that I spend about 10 minutes total on this site average per day and manage to have as many posts as I do, and teachers have a free period in a 7 hour day, a teacher could rack up quite a bit of posts here if they have internet on their phone and can text quickly.
Are you sure it's only 10 minutes?

I think BigMike wrote a software program that monitors your every second on here ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Maybe I could teach you something else
Now ... what was your wife's email address again?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Now ... what was your wife's email address again?
Her email is.......Imarriedthebestmanontheplanet@verizon.net

Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If she can't even control her students while they are in the classroom, then why is she even allowed to remain a teacher? How do you teach if your classroom is like an asylum run by the patients? What does she do all year with those kids? Teach them nothing?

Someone in another profession that totally and pathetically incompetent would be fired immediately, particularly if they had no union running the employer's life.
We don't know the whole story of that teacher, though.

I had a class several years ago (I was not a new teacher, had about 6 years in at that point) that was very, very challenging. There were 5 girls (who were no picnic) and 23 boys. At one point six boys from that class were accused of throwing another kid through a plate glass window. In a 90 minute period, maybe 30 minutes of work got done. I asked my AP to sit in a few times, thinking that it might make them more productive. Nope. They didn't care at all. They threw hundreds of dollars of textbooks and novels out the window when another teacher was with them. Their parents were no help. Now, I suppose you could have called me "pathetically incompetent" but I had NO such issues with the other classes I taught. And the other big question is: who would have been willing to replace me, to teach THAT class, should I have been fired? Would it have been a reflection on my ability?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
We don't know the whole story of that teacher, though.

I had a class several years ago (I was not a new teacher, had about 6 years in at that point) that was very, very challenging. There were 5 girls (who were no picnic) and 23 boys. At one point six boys from that class were accused of throwing another kid through a plate glass window. In a 90 minute period, maybe 30 minutes of work got done. I asked my AP to sit in a few times, thinking that it might make them more productive. Nope. They didn't care at all. They threw hundreds of dollars of textbooks and novels out the window when another teacher was with them. Their parents were no help. Now, I suppose you could have called me "pathetically incompetent" but I had NO such issues with the other classes I taught. And the other big question is: who would have been willing to replace me, to teach THAT class, should I have been fired? Would it have been a reflection on my ability?
In the case I was commenting on, it sounded like there was a general air of chaos and disrespect/disobedience in the classroom, not that an entire clique of troublemakers (throwing kids through plate glass windows as a group, throwing books out the window as a group, etc.) had unfortunately been assigned to the same class (as in your case).

If there were that many troublemakers in the same class, then your administration was pathetically incompetent for not breaking them up and isolating them in different classes, evening out the number of behavioral problem students between classrooms. If that didn't work, or there were not enough classrooms to portion them out to, they should have shipped them out to "special" schools that handle students with behavioral problems.

You started the story, but did not finish ... how were things eventually resolved (or were they)?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
At one point six boys from that class were accused of throwing another kid through a plate glass window.

That's what happens when kids are told at a very early age that's its NOT okay for an adult and/or parent to spank them, touch them, yell at them, tell them what to do, what to wear, what to eat, who to play with, who to hang out with, how to talk, or how to act.

If any of the above rules are violated by an adult and/or parent, then the kid is instructed to call 911 immediately, if not sooner.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Default Health Benefits in Retirement

I promised that I would get an answer to what health befefit Northport teachers get in retirement. There is an optional health insurance benefit for which the retiree pays approximately $700 per month (covering both spouses).

Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
From this thread, all teachers defend their pay and benefits as fair for the demanding job that they do. I guess LI taxes will just keep on going up and up while salaries/benefits in the private sectors will continue to decrease or remain stagnant. I'm concerned about how middle class families including my near retired parents will be able to afford it here. I suppose those who make too much to care will keep on paying. I just don't see any signs of compromise and sense of responsibility towards the community, but the "me me me" is the LI attitude. By the way, there's no need in saying I know this person or that person who makes this much and pays this much. Just go to this website. What teachers make and get is all public information...

http://www.lischooltax.com/

Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I would hate to tell you what happened the very first day of my Special Education teaching career. I was taking over the class for a teacher who had left & the kids were just wild. Maurice (a boy who was already six feet tall in the sixth grade) chanted , "We got rid of three teachers so far and we'll get rid of you, too. No one can handle us. "
Another boy stood on the desk and screamed, "I'm the boss of the class."
Kids threw books out of the window. One hit a passerby. Oh, it was a real great time.

That afternoon I actually quit, but the principal pleaded with me to remain and allowed me leave an hour early everyday if I would agree to stay. I had a very young son at home and so I agreed.

It took nearly two months , but the class did get into shape. I have total respect for anyone who can manage these classes, though. It is not easy at all. It is amazing, but I did become a good teacher , but what an introduction......

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-07-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 AM

7 posts, read 7,451 times
South of France???? Poland???????? Really, your perception is way off base. How could I afford this? Really, teachers are not rich people. I had off and stayed home, rode my bike, graded papers, prepared tests, went for walks etc. Thats all I can afford to do on my time off. South of France!!!

I bought my daughter a birthday gift (small handbag from TJ Maxx-$120) and that broke my budget this month. I have about $8 in my wallet till next payday and will put my gas on my credit card and bring lunch to work. I really don't go out to movies or anything that costs money because I really can't afford it. Really, I am not wealthy. Just barely making it.

After 30 years many teachers are making good money, but really not the rest of us. I am not sure how these other teachers are getting huge raises outside the mandated salary scale??????

Also, yes it is true, teacher education does cost a lot. Even in a public school such as a cuny or suny it's apx 10,000 a year undergrad not including fees and books and transportation expenses. Plus a graduate school for a secondary masters degree is 3 years which costs about 45k - that's 85k for a public education - which after interest on loans, books, transportation etc works out to over 100k. A private school education for a degree in teaching is about 180k or more. No kidding. It's really expensive.

But again, the real issue for tax increases is not teacher salaries.
We don't get overtime and our salaries are set.

I see these posts about the highly paid teachers but believe me, this is not the norm. We have don't negotiate our salaries nor can we get any amount we want, they are in set increments. Mainly about 900-1000 a increase which works out to about 20 a pay period.

There are many reasons for tax increases, but really it's not beacuse of us. It's time to look at the real issues and problems so they can be solved.

Last edited by lovebooks123; 04-08-2010 at 04:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island