Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:22 PM

29 posts, read 153,342 times

Advertisements

I need some help.
Any of you remember Montauk well during the 70's and 80's?
There was a motel we stayed at between the West Lake Inn and Montauk Marine Basin. The building has been gone for years. I don't know exactly when it was torn down, but it has been a while.
It was just a little bit south of Montauk Marine Basin on the same side of the road. There was a main motel, then it also had some cabins.

This would be a big help to us if you could remember any of the former places along that stretch.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
For questions such as yours, you may want to contact the Montauk Public Library (the library can suggest which local newspaper might have this information and other possible sources of information):

Montauk Public Library
P.O. Box 700
Montauk, NY 11954

Tel: 631/668-3377
Fax: 631/???-????

eMail: mntklib@suffolk.lib.ny.us

Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
For questions such as yours, you may want to contact the Montauk Public Library (the library can suggest which local newspaper might have this information and other possible sources of information):

Montauk Public Library
P.O. Box 700
Montauk, NY 11954

Tel: 631/668-3377
Fax: 631/???-????

eMail: mntklib@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Thanks.
I have already done that, but have yet to get a response.
I figured I would try on here

Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,979 times
Default Montauk 70s-80s

It was called The Landing

Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfsix View Post
It was called The Landing
Hey thanks!!!!

I am going to pass this on to family memers who have a better memory than me.

Two other people said it could be the Oasis Motel or the Holiday Motel

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,662 times
Hi. Came across this thread quite by chance. Holiday Motel was a single storey L shaped building (not separate chalets) between a small wooded area and (I think) a small boat yard/landing place - this is 1969, btw - run by a wonderful lady called Rose Ball Mackay: quite a personality, and first time married to a gangland character, she said, before Messrs Ball & Mackay. The motel car park had an ancient green Cadillac parked there to encourage passing visitors to stop by. She also owned property in the centre of Montauk and I believe there is a plaque to her memory in the entrance to the Information Centre in the middle of town. Holiday Motel burnt down many years ago, I believe, and last time I was there (1999) only pink and green painted pebbles marked the road side boundary. Contemporary photos avail if you wish to have them but it doesn't sound like your place.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 52,421 times
Oasis Motel, anyone remember this motel? As a little boy, I remember being taken there by my parents for vacations in the early 1970's. I beleive it was on old Montauk Hwy, was it torn down? What's in it's place?
Anyone have any old pictures of this motel?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-05-2020 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,386 times
Default The Oasis Motel

Or, as the broken neon sign on the roof read the night my family arrived in March of 1981 to take possession and turn it into The Landing, "asis Motel"- the " O" being broken.
As-is, indeed! It was a complete wreck. We fixed it up and operated as a motel until 1985 when renovations were completed and we opened as a Co-op.
The former owners of the Oasis, the Valciches, probably spelled wrong, also owned Four Oaks store and Pizza Pier.
My family was the Trappeys, Shelby and Ellie.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-03-2018, 07:15 PM

622 posts, read 847,505 times
My parents took us to Montauk point for the first time in 1970. Lots of antique shops and farms. Bluff at the lightouse was much higher than last I saw (2017). In 1970, we ate at Gosman's Dock and the fish was fresh and well prepared. The ocean beaches around Ditch Plains were beautiful, including the swinging singles beach known as Asparagus Beach. It earned this moniker because everyone on the beach stood up mixing. Looking from a distance, they all looked like stalks of asparagus. On July 4, 1970, the town parking lot by the IGA was packed with VW microvans and other assorted hippie regalia as the hippies invaded for the weekend. My 4th grade friend stayed with his family, in the town of Montauk, at a hotel, and mentioned he saw syringes in the stair wells.

Back then and even as late as the late 1980s, Montauk was a sleepy, earthy town, great for fishing, great for surfing, great for boating. They had an airport and a much larger commercial fishing fleet. It was my kind of town. The 60s, 70s and 80s were the golden age for Montauk and the North Fork as well. As an adult, I brought my now adult children out east to share these wonderful places with them. And like me, they too have great memories of this special place.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 PM

1,761 posts, read 3,207,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
My parents took us to Montauk point for the first time in 1970. Lots of antique shops and farms. Bluff at the lightouse was much higher than last I saw (2017). In 1970, we ate at Gosman's Dock and the fish was fresh and well prepared. The ocean beaches around Ditch Plains were beautiful, including the swinging singles beach known as Asparagus Beach. It earned this moniker because everyone on the beach stood up mixing. Looking from a distance, they all looked like stalks of asparagus. On July 4, 1970, the town parking lot by the IGA was packed with VW microvans and other assorted hippie regalia as the hippies invaded for the weekend. My 4th grade friend stayed with his family, in the town of Montauk, at a hotel, and mentioned he saw syringes in the stair wells.

Back then and even as late as the late 1980s, Montauk was a sleepy, earthy town, great for fishing, great for surfing, great for boating. They had an airport and a much larger commercial fishing fleet. It was my kind of town. The 60s, 70s and 80s were the golden age for Montauk and the North Fork as well. As an adult, I brought my now adult children out east to share these wonderful places with them. And like me, they too have great memories of this special place.
Montauk is now full of NYC hipsters. It costs $16 for breakfast, and you have to be careful where you park, not like the old days. Lots of $$$$ cars, not the easygoing town we knew back then.
Visit a few weeks after Labor Day, you will enjoy it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island