Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times

Advertisements

Newsday is celebrating 2010 census estimates that say the population of LI has increased approx. 6,000 from 2008 to 2009.

Then they go on to say that since 2000 we gained 115,000 " due to a "natural increase" IE: births,lol, but lost approx 156,000 to domestic migrants.

Translation: people getting the heck out of here or as some on C-D say were "struggling to get by"

for

*ahem*

lower costs of living, taxes, and congestion.

then it sneaks in there that our biggest boom came from

ready for the newest term in pc?

"international migrants"

wow...I think the pennysaver has finally surpassed this rag in respective journalism.

read it all here..

2009 Census estimate sees rise in LI population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
So you're upset about the term "international migrants" ? You would have preferred if they used the term "illegal immigrants" ?

That wouldn't have been accurate, because they're counting both legal and illegal immigrants. The census doesn't differentiate. I don't think Newsday is so great, but this seems like an unbelievably stupid thing to complain about, really. You would rather they threw journalistic integrity by the wayside and just printed "illegal immigrants" (even though that isn't what is being reported) just so it would seem "less PC"?

I'm sure a ton of people are gonna agree with you on this. Your argument is completely logical.

I'm surprised we've only "lost" 156,000 (the pop. of Nassau and Suffolk is close to 3 million) considering what an insane tax burden most of us are facing. I really would have thought the outlandish compensation packages offered police, teachers and other unionized civil servants would have driven more people away.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Seanx4.... its not just a numeric loss of the residents.... look at the nature of the exchange. People who have lived here for a while have left (maybe some are retired, but I seriously doubt if that is the majority these days), and are being replaced by "international migrants", now I don't want to stir a controversy here, but in my opinion the migrants (legal or illegal) will most likely be ready to work for lesser $$$ atleast initially. It would be nicer to see more of a domestic migration into the state necessary for a brighter future, if we do not do something soon, we are all headed towards a tax hell !!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Seanx4.... its not just a numeric loss of the residents.... look at the nature of the exchange. People who have lived here for a while have left (maybe some are retired, but I seriously doubt if that is the majority these days), and are being replaced by "international migrants", now I don't want to stir a controversy here, but in my opinion the migrants (legal or illegal) will most likely be ready to work for lesser $$$ atleast initially. It would be nicer to see more of a domestic migration into the state necessary for a brighter future, if we do not do something soon, we are all headed towards a tax hell !!
Well that would be a very good topic for an entirely different thread, but this one exists solely because Moderator cut: snip "they didn't call a spade a spade!".....even though a spade wasn't really a spade, in this case, and it was likely the Census Bureau's terminology and not Newsday's.

I didn't say anything about whether the population "shift" (if you can even call it that) was good or bad.

In case you didn't read the article, Nassau and Suffolk have gained an estimated 59,941 "international migrants" between 2000-2009. They account for a whole 2.1% of our population. I'm also not sure all of those people are willing to work for considerably lesser $$$ than the (presumably) middle class who have left. A good portion of the legal immigrants coming to LI are wealthy Iranians, Indians and Koreans on the north shore of Nassau.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-24-2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: do not discuss other members

Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Your exactly right Zulu Moderator cut: ..

I found the way Snoozeday chose to describe a certain population of people humerous.

The subject was about the overall numbers LI has lost over the past decade and how these "journalist" chose to put a positive spin on it by twisting the numbers.

I'm willing to bet because I'm not in the mood to look it up and I'm confidant about this that if you look at the populations of other states such as Texas, Florida, and north Carolina...maybe even anywhere you will see that their pops are skyrocketing.

This thread is basically in line with the "why are you leaving Long Island" thread.

this topic isn't about race.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-24-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Your exactly right Zulu
Moderator cut: .. I found the way Snoozeday chose to describe a certain population of people humerous.

The subject was about the overall numbers LI has lost over the past decade and how these "journalist" chose to put a positive spin on it by twisting the numbers.

I'm willing to bet because I'm not in the mood to look it up and I'm confidant about this that if you look at the populations of other states such as Texas, Florida, and north Carolina...maybe even anywhere you will see that their pops are skyrocketing.

This thread is basically in line with the "why are you leaving Long Island" thread.

this topic isn't about race.
Where do you see any positive or negative language in that article? It all looked pretty matter-of-fact to me.

So you're not upset that they used the term "international migrants" ? You sure confused me with your original post.

And this is a "Why are you leaving Long Island" thread now?

OK - I'm sure most people are leaving because our taxes are a nightmare, largely due to the outlandish salaries and benefits guaranteed to the police, teachers and other unionized civil servants. Payroll makes up the majority of the county, town and school district budget.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-24-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island