Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What "things are you considering" Crooks? I don't particularly feel any bit unsafe in RP.
Nor should you.
In considering the other towns in the Precinct

I had to call BS on LIC.
Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Wow. Where do I start. So these are the kind of stats y'all base your "Long Island is the safest place in the world" theories?

That's one way to have great crime stats - just ignore Hempstead and Uniondale!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Nor should you.
In considering the other towns in the Precinct

I had to call BS on LIC.
Crooks
lol, ok dude. If you really had "friends" in the precinct you would know better and I'm betting you do.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Lets get real folks this "crime data" from newsday is waaaaay off. C'mon look at the crime stats for mastic beach (0), mastic, and shirly. 6 pages of Kool-aid drinking. My buddy in Rocky Point had his car broken into and his report number for 2010 was over 200,000. The Cop told him he was the 23rd car that week.
Hahah so you think the report numbers started at 0? Is that like if I run outside and look at the VIN number on my car it'll tell me what number built it was? I don't think so....if that story is even true, which I doubt.

Nobody is trying to say this Newsday thing is 100% accurate, it's obviously missing a lot of data for entire towns. If you read any part of this thread you would have realized that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie
Wow. Where do I start. So these are the kind of stats y'all base your "Long Island is the safest place in the world" theories?

That's one way to have great crime stats - just ignore Hempstead and Uniondale!
No, those "theories" are based on statistics published by the FBI each year, which are more comprehensive and include reports from all law enforcement agencies. As I mentioned to LIC and as we have discussed throughout this entire thread, the Newsday map is obviously lacking data from several law enforcement agencies across Long Island and seems to only include NCPD and SCPD reports, hence - places like Hempstead (which have village police departments) are excluded.

Here is a table of crime rates for Metropolitan Statistical Areas in the United States: www.FBI.gov (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_06.html - broken link)

Nassau-Suffolk MSA is one of the lowest in the entire nation, and arguably the lowest amongst highly urbanized areas.

The table linked above is for 2008, but you can get preliminary data by state and county for 2009 as well as previous years by clicking on this link (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/offenses/violent_crime/index.html - broken link). Select what you want to sort by under the "Browse by" heading.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
lol, ok dude. If you really had "friends" in the precinct you would know better and I'm betting you do.
Again BS

Old 03-25-2010, 06:46 PM

416 posts, read 697,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Wrong. In Nassau, the Nassau PD handles all investigations for the villages, with the exception of some minor crimes in some of the larger villages, such as Hempstead. All major crimes, including the crime scene work, are done by County detectives.
WhAt about Suffolk, which is what the poster was primarily speaking about? Also, got any sources that back up your suspect statements??

Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Again BS
Rocky point is a toilet. No disrespect bro I know you live there but that town is addled with crime and violence. As soon as you pass through East shoreham, past the shoreham plaza strip mall and pass Randall rd you can see the deterioration begin. Why do you think they built the bypass? to save you a few seconds? nope...Rocky point is an eyesore. Newsdays crime propaganda, however inaccurate, is serving it's purpose in making people feel better and in that case it is well served. When ostriches stick their heads in the sand it comforts them as well.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Rocky point is a toilet. No disrespect bro I know you live there but that town is addled with crime and violence. As soon as you pass through East shoreham, past the shoreham plaza strip mall and pass Randall rd you can see the deterioration begin. Why do you think they built the bypass? to save you a few seconds? nope...Rocky point is an eyesore. Newsdays crime propaganda, however inaccurate, is serving it's purpose in making people feel better and in that case it is well served. When ostriches stick their heads in the sand it comforts them as well.
Moderator cut: ..

Youre entiled to you opinion, and your obvious anti RP agenda, but you are not entitled to your facts.
Toilet, really? The bypass was put in and it saved RPs little downtown from insane traffic and certain stripmall hell.
It hasnt always been pretty ...but its cleaned up pretty nice of late and getting better every day.
I like it.

No disrespect bro but youre dead wrong.
Rocky Point is a great place to live...and I think you know it.
You just have a beef with me apparenty (again).

Crooks

Last edited by Keeper; 03-26-2010 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: please do not call others trolls

Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Got anything legitimate you've been holding out on us to back that up, or just "I heard it from my BF who is a police"??

I don't see any big difference between Rocky Point and all the other surrounding towns. If you legitimately think RP is a crime infested dump, show us something that supports your theory....otherwise you just sound like you're trying to antagonize Crooks, and it isn't even working very well.

I'm sure you're very inclined to fling some insults around and try to get this thread shut down at this point (as usual), but if that's what you're planning on doing I think everyone would rather you didn't reply.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
WhAt about Suffolk, which is what the poster was primarily speaking about? Also, got any sources that back up your suspect statements??
How about 30 years of service with NCPD? I'm guessing that would make my statements pretty solid.

But I'm sure you've got a better source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island