U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:33 PM
esq esq started this thread

8 posts, read 45,742 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are debating between a house in Lynbrook and another home in Roslyn Heights. We have heard some bad things about Roslyn Heights (e.g., illegal immigration near Mineola Avenue, being close to major highways and the LIRR, etc.). Is Roslyn Heights really a horrible section in an otherwise great part of Long Island? Is a small house in Roslyn (near to the LIRR and Mineola Avenue, but not on the LIRR tracks and not on Mineola Avenue) a better investment than a slightly bigger, and nicer looking home in Lynbrook? How do people view Lynbrook? Is it the little brother of Rockville Centre? Do people think of the schools as good as Rockville Centre (interestingly schooldigger.com gave Lynbrook schools a ranking of 24, and Rokville Centre schools a ranking of 100), but based on what I hear on the blogs, people generally hold Rockville Centre schools in high regard. Why is this?

My wife and I just want a decent neighborhood, with good schools, a suburban feel, and a good perception so that resale will be easy wihtin five to ten years.

Please share your thoughts about schools, perceptions of the neighborhood, amenities, or whatever other thoughts you have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM

654 posts, read 1,958,989 times
I would say Lynbrook. You can also find some nice house in East Rockaway within the Lynbrook School District.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,485,013 times
Roslyn Heights is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name in their mailing address (1,704 acres) are not in the hamlet (944 acres).

A map of the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:

Places with a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights are in the Hamlet of Albertson, the Village of North Hills and the Village of East Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights that have an "Albertson, NY 11507" and "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM
esq esq started this thread

8 posts, read 45,742 times
Dawn, may you tell me why exactly (e.g., schools, shopping, property values, etc.) you prefer Lynbrook to Roslyn Heights?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM

156 posts, read 414,780 times
esq, I can't tell you anything about Roslyn Heights, but I can give you honest feedback about Lynbrook. I live in a neighboring village, and I did my student observations in the high school and one of the middle schools. From my perspective, Lynbrook is a real community. The people seem to stay for life and for generations - parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Great location for commuting into the city. The community is very active in the schools. The schools themselves are excellent - great test scores, great college level classes, great technology. Strong, younger teachers who were planning on staying for there career when I was there. Neighborhood is very safe. Anyone I know who lives there is really happy.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,599,227 times
I don't live in either town but my stepdaughter lives in Lynbrook with her mother & my business partner lives in Roslyn Heights.
Lynbrook Schools are really excellent at the elementary level, my SD is in high school now in all honors classes & honestly the school isn't special. She is a very smart child & I don't feel they teachers challenge her enough. Also for $13,000 in property taxes its a crime that she has to walk from Westwood to Sunrise Hwy to get to school because there aren't buses district wide.
As far as the town being safe goes, the local police force certainly does a great job of covering up the crime there. Just over a month ago a 16 yr old classmate of my stepdaughters jumped in front of a train because he was addicted to heroin, pot & ectasy and he knew the results of a drug test were coming back and he was going to be in trouble. That barely got a blurb in Newsday. A week or so later 3 teens were robbed at gunpoint walking near the high school, again very little news coverage. Earlier this year My stepdaughter was being bullied via the internet much like Alexis Pilkington of West Islip and the Lynbrook Police really didn't even understand the concept.
There is a lot of pressure for the lower class "north" kids to keep up with the wealthier "south" kids and it creates an obvious divide in the school, which is not the worst thing but its hardly Mayberry.

as for Roslyn Heights, my business partner is a doctor. I know he and his wife have had to make a stink to get services for one of their children. And as far as I can tell Roslyn Heights is really "above" Lynbrook in socioeconomics.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 AM

335 posts, read 879,049 times
Depends exactly "where" in Roslyn Heights. RH contains two of the highest-end areas in all of the North Shore: Roslyn Country Club district and East Hills.....those are diamond + locations (in which you cant even put Lynbrook in the same breath). Other parts of RH arent as nearly high-end. Anytime you live near the RR tracks and service roads to expressways/parkways you are asking for trouble in any town. RH does contain many nooks and crannies that intersect or are nestled in between the LIE and GC with the LIRR tracks running right through there - - so, Location, Location Location is important in RH. Use google earth to do your address research. RH also contains some of the better schoold districts in the State: East Williston and Roslyn....so you are gonna get taxed through the roof.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 31,008,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
Depends exactly "where" in Roslyn Heights. RH contains two of the highest-end areas in all of the North Shore: Roslyn Country Club district and East Hills.....those are diamond + locations (in which you cant even put Lynbrook in the same breath). Other parts of RH arent as nearly high-end. Anytime you live near the RR tracks and service roads to expressways/parkways you are asking for trouble in any town. RH does contain many nooks and crannies that intersect or are nestled in between the LIE and GC with the LIRR tracks running right through there - - so, Location, Location Location is important in RH. Use google earth to do your address research. RH also contains some of the better schoold districts in the State: East Williston and Roslyn....so you are gonna get taxed through the roof.
TY for the description. I was always under the impression that Roslyn Heights was all low end and traditionally the town where the servants of residents of Roslyn, Roslyn Harbor, and Roslyn Estates lived to be close to work. Also, doesn't Roslyn Heights have a public housing project?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 AM

466 posts, read 1,272,887 times
not necessarily section 8, but yes, the apartment complex west of teh RR station fits the "servant" description

Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,485,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
Depends exactly "where" in Roslyn Heights. RH contains two of the highest-end areas in all of the North Shore: Roslyn Country Club district and East Hills.....those are diamond + locations (in which you cant even put Lynbrook in the same breath).

While a part of the Village of East Hills has a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address (other parts of the Village of East Hills, which does not have a same-named ZIP Code postal zone, have a "Roslyn, NY 11576", "Greenvale, NY 11548" and "Old Westbury, NY 11568" mailing address), East Hills is not part of the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights because, under the New York State definition, a village cannot be part of a hamlet or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island