Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times

Advertisements

Jaribu,

I can totally understand your desire to own rather than rent. You want to build equity rather than give your money to a landlord right? Well, consider these factors:

1. As a homeowner, you have to pay taxes and more utilities.
2. You have to pay repair.
3. Most of your mortgage payments go towards interest during the early years of your loan.
4. Your home may DROP in value meaning that your mortgage may be larger than the equity in your home. That's a recipe for disaster.

Sure, you can take the mortgage interest deduction on your taxes and that can help set off the property taxes. However, being a home owner doesn't always mean you will be financially better off, especially if you have to send your kids to private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 01:25 PM

58 posts, read 202,428 times
As far as Roosevelt itself, the main problems are the schools. Crime is an issue, but its not as bad as the reputation it has. Its certainly not Jamaica or anything like that, but as a whole Rosedale might be a nicer area. With that being said also the portion of Roosevelt you are looking in is a fairly quiet area and one of the better sections of Roosevelt.[/quote]

That was the main reason for my post, we all have good areas & bad areas in our neighborhoods. I just wanted to know if being that is so close to another town it makes it "the nice side of Roosevelt". I do need to check with the realtor on the school district because it is listed under Roosevelt. It certainly does have a bad reputation with all who live in LI, but for someone coming in from a city it doesn't sound as bad as it seems. I was actually looking at the Nassau County Crime Stats for the area and other PCT had a higher crime rate than the PCT that is assign to Roosevelt.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaribu2000 View Post
That was the main reason for my post, we all have good areas & bad areas in our neighborhoods. I just wanted to know if being that is so close to another town it makes it "the nice side of Roosevelt". I do need to check with the realtor on the school district because it is listed under Roosevelt. It certainly does have a bad reputation with all who live in LI, but for someone coming in from a city it doesn't sound as bad as it seems. I was actually looking at the Nassau County Crime Stats for the area and other PCT had a higher crime rate than the PCT that is assign to Roosevelt.
Don't kid yourself. Just because a SD is on LI, does not mean it cannot be worse than an inner city school.

Anyway, it sounds like you have your mind made up to buy the house. It must be a very lovely home. Congratulations on your upcoming purchase!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
Obviously you are not here looking for advice. Good luck selling that house in 4 years.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM

Paying rent is just not working for us. First of all we have the bad luck of having really bad neighbors, I not only pay my rent but I have to pay all my utilities. Most homes for rent require you to pay all the utilities as well including water and maintenance, so in reality you are paying for someone else's investment. The only thing I am not paying when renting is the tax. What we plan to do or not with the house 4yrs from now is still uncertain but we are definitely not thinking about selling.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Jaribu2000, NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in a house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
Obviously you are not here looking for advice. Good luck selling that house in 4 years.

I don't think you read my original post, they advice I was looking for was mostly about the school districts. I didn't create this post for people to change my though of buying vs renting but to understand more about the schools in LI. I want to thank all those who send me websites to get more resources, that definitely is a big help. I am most definitely interested in learning more about the area but show me stats and tell me the reasons, not because you hear is bad all the time. Like I mentioned before I visited the NCPD website and there are other towns in LI with higher crime rate. My purpose was to learn more about why is the school district so bad. I don't mean to be rude but I think along the way of this post a lot of people forgot what the main post was.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM

Thank You Walter Greenspan that is helpful.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think you read my original post, they advice I was looking for was mostly about the school districts. I didn't create this post for people to change my though of buying vs renting but to understand more about the schools in LI. I want to thank all those who send me websites to get more resources, that definitely is a big help. I am most definitely interested in learning more about the area but show me stats and tell me the reasons, not because you hear is bad all the time. Like I mentioned before I visited the NCPD website and there are other towns in LI with higher crime rate. My purpose was to learn more about why is the school district so bad. I don't mean to be rude but I think along the way of this post a lot of people forgot what the main post was.

Fine, the school district is HORRIBLE....there is your answer

Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Paying rent is just not working for us. First of all we have the bad luck of having really bad neighbors, I not only pay my rent but I have to pay all my utilities. Most homes for rent require you to pay all the utilities as well including water and maintenance, so in reality you are paying for someone else's investment. The only thing I am not paying when renting is the tax. What we plan to do or not with the house 4yrs from now is still uncertain but we are definitely not thinking about selling.
If you think your neighbors in Roosevelt are going to be better, you are sadly mistaken...the way you are thinking is totally backwards...but best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island