Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,709 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm suffering from the heavy rains and flooding of the past week. My property has become inundated by a rising lake on one side, and a road that does not have proper drainage on the other. The cesspool is overflowing, and I was told that pumping it would not help because the overflow is being caused by the unusually high water table. The Town of East Hampton does not seem to be doing anything about the lake or the road drainage problems. Meanwhile, my house is unusable because of the cesspool. I have no idea who to turn to or how to resolve this problem. I would appreciate any constructive advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2010, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Deer Park , New York
284 posts, read 986,029 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
I'm suffering from the heavy rains and flooding of the past week. My property has become inundated by a rising lake on one side, and a road that does not have proper drainage on the other. The cesspool is overflowing, and I was told that pumping it would not help because the overflow is being caused by the unusually high water table. The Town of East Hampton does not seem to be doing anything about the lake or the road drainage problems. Meanwhile, my house is unusable because of the cesspool. I have no idea who to turn to or how to resolve this problem. I would appreciate any constructive advice.
Get 7 on your side.................

7 On Your Side from Eyewitness News on WABC-TV and 7online.com in New York | 7online.com

Did you contact the town ? Maybe ask a attorney , i just had my cesspool serviced because the last company who serviced it last year didn't put the cap on the access stack and all of the melting snow and heavy rains filled it up . I used Ray's Cesspool $216 - 1000 gallons pumped , hydrojetting , 5 gallons of chemicals . Hope everything works out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Kings Park & Jamesport
3,180 posts, read 10,545,928 times
Reputation: 1092
Sounds like you need to add some more overflow rings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 AM
 
2 posts, read 11,709 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for your responses.

Kbinspections, can you please explain what overflow rings are?

Panic, what is an access stack? And where is Ray's Cesspool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
 
347 posts, read 1,352,542 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
Get 7 on your side.................

7 On Your Side from Eyewitness News on WABC-TV and 7online.com in New York | 7online.com

Did you contact the town ? Maybe ask a attorney , i just had my cesspool serviced because the last company who serviced it last year didn't put the cap on the access stack and all of the melting snow and heavy rains filled it up . I used Ray's Cesspool $216 - 1000 gallons pumped , hydrojetting , 5 gallons of chemicals . Hope everything works out for you.
$216 sounds awfully cheap....is that the going rate? If so, I have been ripped off!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Sound Beach
2,160 posts, read 7,517,443 times
Reputation: 897
I hate to say it...but many areas of Riverhead may have water problems for some time (months?) The water table itself is at its highest levels in many years and is literally as high as the foundation of many houses. Better drainage won;t solve a high water table problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
 
99 posts, read 272,745 times
Reputation: 34
normally a full cesspool gets pumped to remove the sediment and allow it to drain again into the surrounding land. Right now if you get it pumped, it will be full again in hours due to the ground being completely saturated. They are right. You have to wait for the water to subside, and then your cesspool probably will too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Kings Park & Jamesport
3,180 posts, read 10,545,928 times
Reputation: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Thanks for your responses.

Kbinspections, can you please explain what overflow rings are?

Panic, what is an access stack? And where is Ray's Cesspool?
Waste leaves your house thru your main sewer line (pipe) and if you have a cesspool, it enters the main pool (cesspool). That is typically 2 rings and a dome. When that fills up, you have an overflow pool (cesspool) to accept the overeflow from the full main pool. Now in high water tables, you may have only 1 ring as a main pool with several overflows.

Access stack is a pipe at grade level that you can pump the pool from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 AM
 
7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Reputation: 1328
Anyone experiencing weirdness with Cesspools after the melt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top