Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 90,099 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

While I've just finally registered so I would have the ability to post, I've been reading the forum for quite some time. It's very helpful. Thank you!

Now, to my real question. Does anyone have cabinets like the ones in my attachment, and has anyone found ways to refinish them? We're buying a house with similar cabinets and would like to do something with them. (full kitchen remodel expected in 2-3 years)

I've seen some DIY sites show standard laminate being painted but never the ones with that "lovely" wood trim.

Thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Cabinet Makeover-trend-laminate-kitchen.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 PM

156 posts, read 449,119 times
Hi Chris,

I have the same ones, and besides from cursing them, I don't have any suggestions. Are yours in good enough condition to bother to do anything? Mine are falling into dust (literally) every time I close a cabinet door. I really can't wait until I save up enough money to tear them out!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:00 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,758 times
Scratch the surface with fine sandpaper and the apply latex paint with a small roller. Good luck!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
you also might want to post this question on the interior design forum of this board-there are often a lot of kitchen questions and some people who post are in the industry-there was a very specific kitchen cabinet thread not so long ago and some people who were in the cabinet selling business posted responses-it is a great forum-

Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
If the cabinets are in good condition, you might want to consider keeping them as is. When the time comes to do a new kitchen, remove the old ones carefully and donate them to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. You'll be able to receive a charitable donation. A client of mine recently did that.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,116 times
What I've done for lots of my customers in the past is to toss the cabinet doors and install new doors on them. CabParts, Inc • Cabinet Boxes • Closet Components • Drawer Boxes • Door Fronts • Colorado
It saves a lot of money and pretty much gives you a new kitchen.
Or
You can paint (spray) what you have. Just tape over the wood handles and use a good oil primer and then two coats of top coat.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM

23 posts, read 90,099 times
Thank you all for the responses. I have read about the scratching and painting but that still leaves those dreaded wooden handles/trim. (unless i cover that with paint as well but no telling how it would look)

So I'm in you're boat Joanne, I think I'm going to have to hold tight and just deal with them for the time being until we renovate the whole thing. Mine aren't truly falling to dust as it seems they weren't used too hard by the owner.

I love the idea to donate them when the time comes. We'll look into that.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If the cabinets are in good condition, you might want to consider keeping them as is. When the time comes to do a new kitchen, remove the old ones carefully and donate them to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. You'll be able to receive a charitable donation. A client of mine recently did that.

What a great suggestion! Truly a win-win situation
Reps 2 u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island