Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times

Advertisements

New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM

239 posts, read 612,328 times
I would also suggest the North Fork. That was where my family always vacationed when I was young. It wasn't Disneyworld or the Bahamas, but it still felt like "getting away." It's just so beautiful and quiet out there. A couple of years ago I stayed at a place in East Marion called 'The Blue' (I think) located directly next to a lavender field. The fragrance itself was otherworldly and the owners sold sachets and lavender honey. There are so many similar 'hidden' treasures on the North Fork. I highly recommend exploring the area.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
On this site

Fire Island Real Estate - Fire Island Homes for Sale & Properties for Rent

...there isn't anything below about 600K. But I suppose everything is negotiable. You're right...FI is getting hammered with storms.

It's paradise for a day trip though.
Too bad....can't believe I've still never been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven
Sean...Oak Beach??
I just looked and I was very surprised to find one home for $325k in Oak Beach! It's a 124-year old, 6-room cottage.....and you still gotta pay $8,300/year in taxes....but c'mon - that's fantastic! Right on the ocean. Heck, I should buy this.....it'd only add 20 minutes to my commute.

That's very, very cheap for anything down there. Oak Beach is great, cuz you get 75% of the Fire Island experience yet you're still next to a major parkway and close to civilization. The one thing that bugs me is that you don't actually own the land the house is on. If the state decides one day that they need more Piping Plover nesting grounds, they will come in and tear your house down. It happened at West Meadow Beach in Stony Brook a few years ago.

Good suggestion, and an interesting location. Not exactly a huge selection, but there are a whole bunch of homes in the $450-$550 range at Gilgo Beach and West Gilgo Beach too. Bay side instead of the ocean, still right next door to it, though.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
I'm potentially looking for an inexpensive place on Long Island to purchase a summer getaway. I would love to be near the ocean - especially with a view. But I do NOT want to be smack in the middle of any "bar scene." Even though we are a young couple, I'm looking for a quiet and relaxing area where my family (ranging in age from 1 to 70) can all enjoy a respite from the daily grind.

Long Beach seems too iffy. I can't afford the east end and people say the west end is a roll of the dice.

Montauk/Hamptons are too pricey.

Then there's a central town like Manorville; affordable but too far of a drive to everything.

I realize the budget is not much, and I also would consider something off of Long Island, but within a 2 hour drive. It also needs to be a location with a bright future (for resale value).

Where would YOU buy summer place?
There are a lot of cute summer colonies situated along the north shore from about Wading River or Baiting Hollow heading east. Once in a blue moon a cottage comes up for sale.

I was looking into buying one some years back, but didn't see the right one. for me (fixer upper by water.) One of my fellow car club members bought one 2 years ago -- he loves it. His children, grandchildren, friends and all spend a lot of time out there. It's a very happy place.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
The one thing that bugs me is that you don't actually own the land the house is on. If the state decides one day that they need more Piping Plover nesting grounds, they will come in and tear your house down. It happened at West Meadow Beach in Stony Brook a few years ago.
What happened at West Meadow Beach had absolutely nothing to do with NYS or piping plovers and everything to do with Brookhaven and political patronage at the turn of the last century.

My neighbor's family owned a cottage down there which they built. can you imagine having the house a few generations grew up in, taken away -- and you getting the bill in advance to do it?

Some people were bent that there were so few cottages that were held by many for so long. Seldom would one come up for sale, and if it did, it was sold ASAP.

Who benefited from this? The people with the waterviews. No more cottages to block the view of the water.

It was a shame.

Good reason to stay away from other homes on leased land.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
What happened at West Meadow Beach had absolutely nothing to do with NYS or piping plovers and everything to do with Brookhaven and political patronage at the turn of the last century.

My neighbor's family owned a cottage down there which they built. can you imagine having the house a few generations grew up in, taken away -- and you getting the bill in advance to do it?

Some people were bent that there were so few cottages that were held by many for so long. Seldom would one come up for sale, and if it did, it was sold ASAP.

Who benefited from this? The people with the waterviews. No more cottages to block the view of the water.

It was a shame.

Good reason to stay away from other homes on leased land.
I knew it was the Town of Brookhaven that did the evicting in that case, although I get the details mixed up because I remember hearing a lot of different stories from a lot of different sources. Absolutely disgraceful any way you look at it, though.

On second thought, I might be wrong about Gilgo/Oak Beach/Captree being on state land. When I was browsing through the MLS listings I noticed a few homes had been built as recently as last decade. Other situations where there is municipal owned land with private residences (bay houses in the towns of Hempstead and Islip) no new construction is allowed, only renovations. I am fascinated with the homes on Oak Island in that area. The people who live there full time must have one of the most interesting commutes in the NY suburbs....since it requires use of a dinghy.

I also saw a cottage in Davis Park, Fire Island listed for $475k....and only $2300 in taxes! Looked like it needed a little work but nothing major.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
North Fork, especially for future growth in value.

As for Fire Island, I would caution anyone that the homes that "look like a bargain" are usually tear downs. Once you get an inspector to check them out, many have major structural problems because the owners neglected them, especially during the winters (which can be quite rough on structures, especially wooden ones, out on a barrier island, which since it is the "barrier" for the mainland is quite unprotected itself).

Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,895 times
Baiting Hallow

Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 9,951 times
North Fork, anywhere Wading River or East of there.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 AM

187 posts, read 863,311 times
Check out Mattituck on the north fork. Some good deals in that price range, some with waterviews. Low (for LI) taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island