Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you like to complain about on LI?
Property Taxes 33 63.46%
Sales Tax 9 17.31%
Income Tax 7 13.46%
Public Employee Unions 11 21.15%
Highly compensated public employees #1: public school teachers 12 23.08%
Highly compensated public employees #2: police 13 25.00%
Traffic 22 42.31%
Illegal Aliens 18 34.62%
Street Gangs 8 15.38%
Land Rover drivers 6 11.54%
Politicians 12 23.08%
Drug abuse 5 9.62%
Crime 8 15.38%
Guidos and Guidettes 10 19.23%
Soccer Moms in SUVs 13 25.00%
Cheapo Employers 9 17.31%
LIRR 9 17.31%
Write In: (make a post about it) 9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM

342 posts, read 1,094,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There are grumpy people everywhere, not just here.

PS: If some of us didn't vent we might turn into serial or spree killers ... would you prefer that?

No serial killers, please. There are grumpy people everywhere, true. However, people notice them because they stand out. Here, it's part of the culture. I find people here just aren't happy. I mean, really, they just seem unhappy and complain a lot. There's a lack of balance in actually appreciating what you have (without comparing yourself to others), and being just generally happy with their life. It is not like that everywhere. It's here though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
No serial killers, please. There are grumpy people everywhere, true. However, people notice them because they stand out. Here, it's part of the culture. I find people here just aren't happy. I mean, really, they just seem unhappy and complain a lot. There's a lack of balance in actually appreciating what you have (without comparing yourself to others), and being just generally happy with their life. It is not like that everywhere. It's here though.
I appreciate what I have but I also want to make things better ... not just for myself but for my community also.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM

342 posts, read 1,094,217 times
Quote:
I appreciate what I have but I also want to make things better ... not just for myself but for my community also.
Of course, and that is a very positive statement. I would say the same about myself, too. However, I think there is a process of seeing what could be better and then moving on to discussing how to achieve that. And then actively doing something about it. It's a positive process that focuses on the "this is the positive thing I'm going to do". Many people get stuck in "identifying what is wrong" phase and they are just bitter and angry. They can discuss how to possibly "fix" an issue or make it better, but they always go back to the negative about what is wrong. That is LI; the focus is on the negative, not the positive. Hence the grumpy nature of the people of LI. That's just my opinion though.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
was there a beach in statesboro? was there new york city an hour away in statesboro? were there great shopping malls in statesboro? did statesboro have wineries? was there fire island in statesboro?

I think you get my drift...
You don't get their drift ... they want you to write a short little essay on what YOU like about LI ... not to answer their question with more questions!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Of course, and that is a very positive statement. I would say the same about myself, too. However, I think there is a process of seeing what could be better and then moving on to discussing how to achieve that. And then actively doing something about it. It's a positive process that focuses on the "this is the positive thing I'm going to do". Many people get stuck in "identifying what is wrong" phase and they are just bitter and angry. They can discuss how to possibly "fix" an issue or make it better, but they always go back to the negative about what is wrong. That is LI; the focus is on the negative, not the positive. Hence the grumpy nature of the people of LI. That's just my opinion though.
Maybe we will become more positive when/if we get a governor that will actually do something about runaway property taxes!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
Quote:
What I meant was...if you think LI isn't a great place to live, why not try living in a rural place where is nothing to do? LI may be expensive yes, but it is not boring here. We really have everything.

Some people like the rural lifestyle and that is great for them, but I live here in all it's expensiveness b/c I can always find something to do that is new, different & exciting. Not too many other places like that.
WHAT do you have? i am looking. be specific

Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
was there a beach in statesboro? was there new york city an hour away in statesboro? were there great shopping malls in statesboro? did statesboro have wineries? was there fire island in statesboro?

I think you get my drift...
you must have misunderstood. to be more clear: i compare LI to a place like statesboro (run down, a hicksville kinda place) same feeling i get for here

Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You don't get their drift ... they want you to write a short little essay on what YOU like about LI ... not to answer their question with more questions!
yes. thank you
everyone says i love LI. but no one says because.
yes jdawg or whatever, there was beach near statesboro, still didn't help the fact that was run down, very very icky area. just like here. i want you, LI lover, to tell me what am i missing

Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
yes. thank you
everyone says i love LI. but no one says because.
yes jdawg or whatever, there was beach near statesboro, still didn't help the fact that was run down, very very icky area. just like here. i want you, LI lover, to tell me what am i missing
SOME areas are run-down on LI, MOST are not. Trust me, we are not paying out our asses to live in crap, run-down, hick towns.

LI has some of the most expensive real estate in the country...

Old 04-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
SOME areas are run-down on LI, MOST are not. Trust me, we are not paying out our asses to live in crap, run-down, hick towns.

LI has some of the most expensive real estate in the country...
oh and that just changed my mind. completely. i am sorry i was just missing all the stuff that LI offers, and with one line you explained it all to me...NOT.
best real estate? must have never left LI, have you now jdawg. i tell you, there is real life outside LI. i promise you. take my word for it. the world is wide. no really. it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island