Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a first time home buyer. I am having a 600sq ft patio put in the bakyard... I just found out that I need a Permit for this. Can I file for it now? I Live in the Town of North Hempstead... Do I need a permit for grass as well....

What are my options, and what will be the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 PM

153 posts, read 606,059 times
My understanding is

(1) They shouldn't have technically let you buy it without it having a permit
(2) You can apply for a permit, just call up the town --> ToH - BZ - Permits & Applications
(3) You may get charged back taxes (is this true anyone? or just a myth?)
(4) You will have to pay some money, but not too much I don't think (as far as getting the permit)
(5) If for some reason they don't grant the permit, it'll be a pain having to take it down.
(6) you could just leave it up and not tell anyone, but then risk getting caught (DISCLAIMER: I do not advise / recommend for/against this lol)

ANyway...my short answer is:

ToH - BZ - Permits & Applications

Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
Thanks Mrs B,

I am the one installing the Paver Patio. I wasnt aware that I needed a permit.. I did inquire about it.. I asked the contractor if I needed a permit and he told me.. "Not for Pavers", because they are set in Sand.. they are considered removable.. Is this correct? I want to do things the right way... However I do not understand this whole permit process... Why I need a permit for a patio area in my backyard...

Also, I would like to do my Driveway in pavers.. does this need a permit as well....

Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 PM

153 posts, read 606,059 times
I wish I could be more help. I don't know too much about it.

I don't think you need permit for driveway work, but I am pretty sure you'll need permit for any sidewalk work (depending on how far into the sidewalk your driveway work goes).

I don't know about because it's "removable" do you need a permit. I know most permanent structures need permits, but here's something i found:

"Permits are required for any new construction and alterations and additions to existing buildings, including structural, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, manufactured dwelling, boiler, and elevator work. However, there are some exceptions to permit requirements. If you aren’t sure whether you need a permit, call the building department responsible for your area."

So I guess it goes back to you're better off calling the town and asking them if one is needed. don't tell them you're GOING to install a patio, just tell them you're thinking of installing this type of patio and is a permit required.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 29,978 times
I am a new home owner and i was told that I need a permit for a few things that I have at home, My question is what are the permits i should have.
What should I be looking for?
How much do they cost?
Where do I go and get these things?
Thank you for your help

Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 AM

520 posts, read 1,652,604 times
In the Town of Oyster Bay you wouldn't need a permit. As long as it is no higher than 4" above grade a permit is not needed. Most paver patios are put in the ground so a permit is not needed. Same goes for sideways and driveways.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:12 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Call the town to be sure here in Huntington they change the building code at will

Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I am in TNH. If there is no concrete involved and they are set in sand only, (gravel bed is OK) then you are fine. If, however, there is a concrete base you will have a problem. There is a maximum 250 sq feet for a patio that is either concrete or paver/concrete before the necessity for a permit.

I recently had the very same discussion with the TNH over this issue.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loven365 View Post
I am a new home owner and i was told that I need a permit for a few things that I have at home, My question is what are the permits i should have.
What should I be looking for?
How much do they cost?
Where do I go and get these things?
Thank you for your help
What town?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Really? I've never heard of a building permit requirement for a paver patio, esp. one that's constructed over rcg (crushed concrete). Then again, I don't live in TofH.

Usually, paver patios and decks that are elevated less than 1.5 feet do not require permits.

Permits are required when town building inspector needs to come by to inspect the work, to insure the construction meets code. Since there are no safety issues and the paver patio is less than permanent, I'd love to know why the building department needs to inspect your patio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island