Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
I generally have to agree with you, crooks, on the subject of renting single-family homes in middle-class neighborhoods to Section 8 recipients. I have posted this article before, but it bears repeating ... if you think taking a family on Section 8 to occupy the house you cannot pay the mortgage on or cannot sell to forestall foreclosure, think again, because you could very well sink your entire neighborhood as well as the house itself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/us...pagewanted=all

However, IF this Section 8 rental is the one the OP has talked about before, and not a different one, the house in question is in a commercial district, not a residential one.

Thats good.

It does bear repeatling LI because its irresponsible, selfish, self sabotaging and dumb.
Im fine with Section 8 vouchers provided the land lord is utilizing them within the School Disrtcit of his primary residence.

As you proabably gathered I am speaking to a broader audience than OP.

Peace

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats good.

It does bear repeatling LI because its irresponsible, selfish, self sabotaging and dumb.
Im fine with Section 8 vouchers provided the land lord is utilizing them within the School Disrtcit of his primary residence.

As you proabably gathered I am speaking to a broader audience than OP.

Peace

Crooks
You know that won't EVER happen!

That's kind of like saying, "I'm fine with granting parole, as long as the parole board releases the criminals to the community THEY live in" or "I'm fine the judge gave the rapist a slap on the wrist and didn't put him in jail as long as he makes sure the rapist moves next door to him, his wife, and daughters!"

Although, seriously, not all Section 8 is comprised of single mothers who have never worked a day in their lives whose livelihood is derived from popping out a brood of disfunctional kids! There is Section 8 for working people too. There are also older people who used to work but have become disabled for whom Section 8 is a real life saver that make great tenants and neighbors. Too bad there are so many miscreants that give a bad name to Section 8 and ruin it for decent people who just need a little help.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You know that won't EVER happen!

That's kind of like saying, "I'm fine with granting parole, as long as the parole board releases the criminals to the community THEY live in" or "I'm fine the judge gave the rapist a slap on the wrist and didn't put him in jail as long as he makes sure the rapist moves next door to him, his wife, and daughters!"

Although, seriously, not all Section 8 is comprised of single mothers who have never worked a day in their lives whose livelihood is derived from popping out a brood of disfunctional kids! There is Section 8 for working people too. There are also older people who used to work but have become disabled for whom Section 8 is a real life saver that make great tenants and neighbors. Too bad there are so many miscreants that give a bad name to Section 8 and ruin it for decent people who just need a little help.
Its not that crazy.We should all share in the burden....the land barons too.
I agree...you can not vilify all section 8 but you can advocate for social responsibility and fairness.

Follow the money....slumlords and town supervisors work hand in hand.
Fair is fair....if theyre gonna take a dump they could at least spray.

Crooks

Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
You know, landlords like Dorothy who rent out properties to Section 8 tenants pay school taxes.

Section 8 landlords, as a rule, are better than your average "slumlord". Their contract with the government requires that the residence be in livable condition in order to get paid. Section 8 inspects the residence to ensure it meets guidelines. The apartment must be a LEGAL rental, meaning the owner pays appropriate taxes. Since the money is coming from the government, most are wise to report the rent they're receiving as income. In other words, Section 8 landlords are not the problem.

Slumlords are a problem. People who cut up a single family home into 5 apartments and rent them out illegally are a problem. They are not paying the appropriate taxes for the residence, it likely doesn't meet legal requirements, they likely are not reporting the rental income on their taxes.

Section 8 isn't a bad program. It helps integrate many elderly, disabled and working poor into good neighborhoods. What is your solution Crooks? Shove all the old people, disabled and poor kids into a shelter somewhere so you don't have to see them? That's where most of them started and most do want to improve their situation. Yes there are a small few who abuse the system but they aren't the majority. It's the classic "bad apple of the bunch" scenario.

You're confusing Section 8 Housing with illegal rentals and the two do NOT go hand in hand. Landlords who don't care about their property don't tend to want to deal with Section 8 and their rules because they can be quite strict. All a tenant has to do is call their Section 8 worker and say that they have a problem the LL won't fix and Section 8 will hold the money until it is fixed. Slumlords renting out illegal apartments would rather deal with tenants in the private sector and not have to worry about fixing problems when they arise.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
You know, landlords like Dorothy who rent out properties to Section 8 tenants pay school taxes.

Section 8 landlords, as a rule, are better than your average "slumlord". Their contract with the government requires that the residence be in livable condition in order to get paid. Section 8 inspects the residence to ensure it meets guidelines. The apartment must be a LEGAL rental, meaning the owner pays appropriate taxes. Since the money is coming from the government, most are wise to report the rent they're receiving as income. In other words, Section 8 landlords are not the problem.

Slumlords are a problem. People who cut up a single family home into 5 apartments and rent them out illegally are a problem. They are not paying the appropriate taxes for the residence, it likely doesn't meet legal requirements, they likely are not reporting the rental income on their taxes.

Section 8 isn't a bad program. It helps integrate many elderly, disabled and working poor into good neighborhoods. What is your solution Crooks? Shove all the old people, disabled and poor kids into a shelter somewhere so you don't have to see them? That's where most of them started and most do want to improve their situation. Yes there are a small few who abuse the system but they aren't the majority. It's the classic "bad apple of the bunch" scenario.

You're confusing Section 8 Housing with illegal rentals and the two do NOT go hand in hand. Landlords who don't care about their property don't tend to want to deal with Section 8 and their rules because they can be quite strict. All a tenant has to do is call their Section 8 worker and say that they have a problem the LL won't fix and Section 8 will hold the money until it is fixed. Slumlords renting out illegal apartments would rather deal with tenants in the private sector and not have to worry about fixing problems when they arise.
I totally agree with that statement. Yes the property has to be inspected. Yes, the checks will be held(never happened to me other than the paperwork wasnt approved in time) if repairs are not met.
Some sect 8 people do abuse the system and are career sect 8 people that never want to stop the handouts. But some really do deserve the help and actually appreciate the help they get.

Again, just wanted to let you know that the county is running out of money. You know I pay my taxes, pay my mortgage on time etc but with not getting the rent check it makes things harder. People say ; oh but you get a check from the county every month that is guaranteed.But they forget that the mortgage has to be paid along with any bills for that property and the rent check does not cover those payments.

Nothing is guaranteed anymore at all.Does the county want more people in shelters or motels? I think not.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 AM

69 posts, read 158,278 times
This is your cashflow issue and you are over-extended no matter what you say. Should the county be paying you on time, yes. But that should have nothing to do with your ability to pay your mortgage. If things are this tight, it would just be something else that could cause your cashflow issue.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post

Section 8 tenants pay a portion of their rent; the government pays the difference. The landlord, receiving the tenant and government portion of the rent, in turn pays school taxes.

Where is the government receiving their HUD money from? The taxpayers.

In effect, the taxpayers are subsidizing the landlord's taxes. We're paying our taxes and a portion of Section 8 landlords, too.

Absentee landlords -- which includes Section 8 landlords -- are a problem. If they aren't living in the unit, not living on the street, not living in that section of town, the only interest they have in that property is financial.

Look at this peach of a guy:

Huntington Patch - Town, County Pay $788K for Knockdowns in the Station

The landlord in question lives on a large, gated estate in one of the expensive small towns in the USA. Now the a group within the Town of Huntington is buying rental homes he owns near the Abrams school in an effort to curb that neighborhood's problems. Mr. Pius started small, scooping up a house here and there back a few decades ago. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

The 50 Most Expensive Small Towns in America 2010: No. 35: Old Field, N.Y. - BusinessWeek

Huntington Patch - Too Close For Comfort: District Worried for Student Safety Following Daytime Shooting Near Abrams

He (Board member Rich McGrath) said that one of the biggest Section 8 landlords in the area, Don Pius, "with hundreds of houses" is also one of Long Island's wealthiest people.

Section 8, less commonly but more formally known as the Housing Choice Voucher Program is a type of Federal assistance provided by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) meant to subsidize housing for low-income families and individuals.

"We're paying him hundreds of grands per month. He's getting rich. It's insane," an impassioned McGrath said. "Statistically the people who did that will live in one of these houses. Why is he allowed to do this to our community?" He said that the "landlords need to monitor" who lives in their house and be accountable for their tenants and not allow MS-13 and Latin Kings gang members to live there. "Absentee landlords is the housing from here to Pulaski Road," he said.

According to town records, everal of the properties in the area are owned by Community Properties, LP, which is in turn owned by a member or members of the Pius family.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I totally agree with that statement. Yes the property has to be inspected. Yes, the checks will be held(never happened to me other than the paperwork wasnt approved in time) if repairs are not met.
Some sect 8 people do abuse the system and are career sect 8 people that never want to stop the handouts. But some really do deserve the help and actually appreciate the help they get.

Again, just wanted to let you know that the county is running out of money. You know I pay my taxes, pay my mortgage on time etc but with not getting the rent check it makes things harder. People say ; oh but you get a check from the county every month that is guaranteed.But they forget that the mortgage has to be paid along with any bills for that property and the rent check does not cover those payments.

Nothing is guaranteed anymore at all.Does the county want more people in shelters or motels? I think not.
The taxpayers are paying the balance of your tenant's rent and the tenant is not paying her portion. NYS is holding back money to the counties, therefore slowing payment on programs. You have bills to pay and are now coming up short. No investment is without risk.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post

Slumlords are not doing the community any service at all, thats a complete distortion.

The only thing career Section 8 begets is career Slumlords, depriciated real estate vaues and lower tax revenues.
(Of course the Countys broke)

Whos really on the dole here ? Is this not poverty by design?

There are very good communities in Brookhaven that are all but being Blockbusted by Section 8 housing right now. Pat-Med, SoCo and especially Wm Flyd come to mind .Im rooting for the Village of Mastic Beach... you got to fight like hell to get that stuff out and all communties need to take on their fair share.

I dont think my idea for only allowing Section 8 vouchers to only be valid within the same SD as the Landlords primary residence is without merit.

Dont get me wrong Section 8 isnt all crachkeads and heroin addicts.
All communties have some, and most of the time youd never know it but when career overextended slumlords get lazy and addicted to a guaranteed payday... it gets really ugly, really quick.

Trust me crackheads are going to drop a dime on a slumlord....therye not got gonna drop a dime on anyone anytime soon thats just delusional

JMHO

Crooks

Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
it finally arrived today ; 8 days late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island