Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times

Advertisements

This question is for the realtors on this site. We sold our condo which was on the market for almost a good 8 months last year (Nov. 2008 - June 2009) and closed in November 2009 for $225k. At the same time we were listed, there was a smaller unit for sale for like $250k. My husband and I were eager to sell our condo so while we were on the market for so long, we kept dropping the price here and there. Also, the offers coming in were nothing to write home about. So I look at sold properties on MLS today in our old development and see a smaller unit (180 square feet smaller than ours) sold for $242k. Now, have the prices gone up with condo's since last year? I would have thought they would have come down more. I know what's done is done but it really upsets me to see that 5 months ago, we sold our condo unit for so little and now we see a smaller one sell for almost $20k more than ours. Our unit was updated, as was theirs. The only difference is they were an upper unit and we were a lower unit. Can anyone explain this to me? I know we tried our best b/c we were on the market so long.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm just really frustrated right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
This question is for the realtors on this site. We sold our condo which was on the market for almost a good 8 months last year (Nov. 2008 - June 2009) and closed in November 2009 for $225k. At the same time we were listed, there was a smaller unit for sale for like $250k. My husband and I were eager to sell our condo so while we were on the market for so long, we kept dropping the price here and there. Also, the offers coming in were nothing to write home about. So I look at sold properties on MLS today in our old development and see a smaller unit (180 square feet smaller than ours) sold for $242k. Now, have the prices gone up with condo's since last year? I would have thought they would have come down more. I know what's done is done but it really upsets me to see that 5 months ago, we sold our condo unit for so little and now we see a smaller one sell for almost $20k more than ours. Our unit was updated, as was theirs. The only difference is they were an upper unit and we were a lower unit. Can anyone explain this to me? I know we tried our best b/c we were on the market so long.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm just really frustrated right now.
Could be any number of reasons. The buyer of the more expensive unit got suckered...you got low balled and accepted an offer you shouldn't have, the condo was sold within a family (although in that case you'd expect the price to be lower), or just good/bad timing.

Prices in my condo complex are all over the place. I know I'm going to take a hit from what I bought at, but recent sales are 15K more than I would have expected.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Could be any number of reasons. The buyer of the more expensive unit got suckered...you got low balled and accepted an offer you shouldn't have, the condo was sold within a family (although in that case you'd expect the price to be lower), or just good/bad timing.

Prices in my condo complex are all over the place. I know I'm going to take a hit from what I bought at, but recent sales are 15K more than I would have expected.
I hear ya. I know it could have been due to many different reasons. I definitely think that the buyer of the small unit got suckered b/c the people who sold it brought it at the height for $250k...so you know since 2006, prices have definitely come down.

We had purchased in Feb 2005 and paid $240,000...we ended up taking a loss somewhat as we sold for $225,000. That's why I'm so flustered. Most of the offers coming in on our unit over the period of the 8 months while listed were from $240k to $225k (as time went on, the prices came in lower). Then some people weren't serious, or got told at the inspection that the CAC was old....so they wanted us to drop the price for the cost of the CAC. BUT it was working! I just thank goodness that our realtor gave us a really good deal with the rate he charged..it was unheard of. Now, the unit next door for me was for sale as well (they too brought at the height for $265,000) and I'm waiting to see what they sold for. I'm hoping they only got in the $230's (they were the same size as us)...that would make me feel much better. As much as that sounds mean.

Well, at least the prices in your complex are selling $15k above what you thought. That's a good thing. I just don't understand how that unit sold at almost the height of the market price! That's just wild! Nonetheless, by the railroad tracks and a not so nice area of Farmingdale.

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 AM

128 posts, read 340,559 times
Water under the bridge. Dont eat yourself alive worrying about it! Also, its not black or white. Smaller unit but higher up can change the value, not drastically but it will.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
What's the point in looking at what units are selling for after you've sold yours, other than being a sadist/masochist? You're either happy because you got the better of someone else, or mad because someone got the better of you.

Move on.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 AM

152 posts, read 547,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What's the point in looking at what units are selling for after you've sold yours, other than being a sadist/masochist? You're either happy because you got the better of someone else, or mad because someone got the better of you.

Move on.
Sellers always think they asked too little and buyers always think they paid too much. That's human nature!

To the OP - I'd pay more for a 2nd floor condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island