U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the "rescuers" do the right thing
No 12 60.00%
Yes 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,454,821 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that someone on C-D hasn't yet posted anything about this tragic story that has unfolded over the last 4 or so days. Now I'm not a tree hugging liberal but it seemed to me that they couldn't find enough ways to kill this poor animal. It was almost like a backwood redneck festival in which these hillbillies took on the guises of "scientist", "marine biologist", "The Riverhead marine rescue center" and many other groups that were involved.

Lets look at the techniques they used

2 1/2 foot tranquilizers- approx 4 or 5 of them....*ouch*...one of them is still somewhere in the surf....they are "90%" sure it was expended but if you see it please dont throw it at your buddy because it is sharp.

Then they lasso'd its tail...guess they wanted it to hang itself

They brought in a payloader to drag it further onto the beach...out of the water...I thought marine life needed the water to survive because it was still alive. nope...they wanted it to suffocate.

but wait...it was still alive...after 4 days of torture this animal was still kicking it's tail around.....so..........

lets get a high caliber long rifle into the picture.
5 rounds of ammo preferably to the base of its skull
theres a picture of a guy that looked like quint from jaws with a burly unkempt beard in a slicker firing the rounds down range.

All the while these "scientists" couldn't get enough group pictures together around this tortured creature.

Once the fun was done and the creature was "declared dead" they couldn't wait to immediately cut it up for research...And honestly I don't think it was quite dead yet. They dismembered the thing pretty fast. After the 2nd bullet the whale raised its tail again.

Now they had clever arguments

The whale wanted to die...yeah it sure looked like he was letting go

If we tried to tow it out to sea(instead of further onto the beach)..it would have beached itself again......sure, who told you that genius?
They didn't even attempt that.

2 very well formulated arguments.

Now I'm not a scientist and I wont claim that I know much about whales but it seemed to me that that thing was putting up a fight.

in addition I'm not a detective but those "rescuers" couldn't wait to kill that animal. Once that whale hit the beach it didn't stand a chance...the natives were going to slaughter it. What gets me is they pretended to want to save it while mugging for photos.

I would like to see procedure for this type of incident.

you would think the whale would get the benefit of the doubt and be put back out to sea.

I guess dolphins are the only species that gets that option.

your turn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 PM

745 posts, read 1,442,477 times
I don't get why they didn't even try to save it? I couldn't find any explanation.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM

they theorize that any animal that washes up on a beach wants to die.

I saw it as an opportunity for them to cut it up in the name of science

Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 PM

11,340 posts, read 19,461,222 times
These sort of things make me sick to my stomach. Its so cruel. They could've easily let it try to swim, they shouldn't have left it there or dragged it further on to the beach because the gravity would have crushed its organs, they should have put it back in the water. The "scientists" (actually animal abusers) need to be put through that treatment.

The Whale is in a better place now, no more suffering.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,442,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
they theorize that any animal that washes up on a beach wants to die.

I saw it as an opportunity for them to cut it up in the name of science
w t f? That makes no sense at all.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
w t f? That makes no sense at all.
It means they didn't want to save it at all.

It means that they wanted to dissect it from the start.

The whale never had a chance.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 33,125,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I don't get why they didn't even try to save it? I couldn't find any explanation.
The whale was a baby starving without it's mother's milk. According to the President of the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation, the animal was so young that it couldn't survive on it's own even if it were healthy.

Why Do Whales Beach Themselves? : Discovery News
Grim Fate Awaits Young Whale Beached on Long Island - AOL News
One thing which is also brought up in some of the articles I've read is that the size of the whale makes it far more difficult to euthanize. It's not like taking the family pet to the vet to be put down.

It's upsetting that things had to take as long as they did. At least there'll be some sort of an answer as to why the whale beached itself when the necropsy is performed.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
These sort of things make me sick to my stomach. Its so cruel. They could've easily let it try to swim, they shouldn't have left it there or dragged it further on to the beach because the gravity would have crushed its organs, they should have put it back in the water. The "scientists" (actually animal abusers) need to be put through that treatment.

The Whale is in a better place now, no more suffering.
If the whale were back in the water emitting sounds, it could attract the pod which in turn would beach themselves. Which is better, one sick, young whale which will die without it's mother, or a pod of beached whales?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 14,750,805 times
The whole thing upset me from so many different angles, I can't even talk about it.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Experts Perform Necropsy On Euthanized NY Whale - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/humpback.whale.necropsy.2.1624115.html - broken link)

"Everybody worked hard to do what was humane for this animal," he said, adding that the science behind how to handle marine mammals was still developing, complicating efforts to euthanize the whale safely and promptly.

The whale, less than a year old, was found Tuesday in the surf, already weakened and unable to free itself. Marine scientists said that if freed, it could not survive on its own.

"People believe you can just shoot it with a dart. But it's a whale: It takes a lot of effort and special equipment and time," said Bowman. "We would need to have people right on top of it."

Most whales die at sea. A few beach themselves to keep from drowning when they're too sick to stay afloat, added Bowman.

Officer Chris Jack said it's not unusual to see whales offshore, but the pup was too close to the breakers and too weak to find the current. "I noticed the whale was just behind the breakers and I knew that wasn't right, it could only be about six feet deep at the most behind the waves. When I saw the whale do a complete tumble, at that point I knew something was wrong," he said.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island