Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 19,413 times

Advertisements

Hi, im new to this board. I use to live in amityville. N. Amityville to be exact. my block was pretty decent at least the begnninng of it. BUT things are changing. Some parents don't know how to be parents and are letting there kids do whatever they want, stay out as long as they want. it's just terrible. My mother still lives there and my little sister attends the middle school. all in one month she has been bullied and robbed. it's just ridiculous. they fired all the good teachers @ the H.S. They replace teachers like they replace their draws. Between my junior and senior year we had 5 principals. some of the faculty chose to leave because the school board was doing some shady stuff. They don't care about the students. The only good thing about amityville schools is that they're more diverse. Which i loved. N. Amityville is mostly black and spanish. Amityville village is mixed. Amityville harbor is basically white. nice big houses. the harbor people were smart to send their kids to private schools. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 AM

7 posts, read 47,031 times
Default amityville is awesome

We pais over a half million for my home in Amityville Village south. It is awesome, my yard is huge (70 x 160), my house is a 100 yr old historical home..and EVERYONE that comes for company feels like they are on vacation when we walk around......I can walk to the beach, walk to the train, and all my neighbors are upper middle class......so whoever wants to bash it here, must not live here

Old 06-09-2007, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 19,413 times
I lived in amityville since Jan 06'. my mom sister and brother still lives there. so i know what im talking about regarding N. amityville. It's the highschool and the bad kids. middle schoolers to be exact. my moms house is big. big back yard. pool. all of that. the houses are nice. gotta run.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 47,031 times
oh, I live south and it is great! I am sure the uplifting will continue north....its a shame poeple by you just dont care anymore

Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 AM

149 posts, read 351,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmammameg View Post
We pais over a half million for my home in Amityville Village south. It is awesome, my yard is huge (70 x 160), my house is a 100 yr old historical home..and EVERYONE that comes for company feels like they are on vacation when we walk around......I can walk to the beach, walk to the train, and all my neighbors are upper middle class......so whoever wants to bash it here, must not live here
Add to your expenses 5,000+ a year for private school and yes... a vacation resort it is...

Also your kids should be warned to NEVER go north of Sunrise HWY unless they want to see crack dealers and prostitutes.

Im sorry to bash Amity, but lets get real here. South Amity is the only place to live and if you have kids its really not worth it.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 32,976 times
I have to agree. I would NEVER move to Amityville. The schools are out of control and drugs, violence, and the SERIOUS levels of gang activity are too much for me to feel comfortable raising children there, with or without Sunrise Hwy between us.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
Add to your expenses 5,000+ a year for private school and yes... a vacation resort it is...

Also your kids should be warned to NEVER go north of Sunrise HWY unless they want to see crack dealers and prostitutes.

Im sorry to bash Amity, but lets get real here. South Amity is the only place to live and if you have kids its really not worth it.
Some rough stuff in there, but true. I lived in East Massapequa and went through the Amityville Schools. OK back then, but now it is not good. I have friends probably in the area where this person lives as they say the walk to the train (about 3/4 of a mile) and to the beach, so I know that area. Nice houses, but like you said, with 3 kids, they send them to St. Martins. After I got married I moved to Massapequa Park, better school district, but problems there too. Over rated and expensive. Taxes got to $8K so I left to go to Union County, NC. Much like LI back in the 1950's and 60's I'm told. Farms, open land, but growing, hopefully not too fast.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 PM

16 posts, read 49,665 times
Default The gutter

Yes..I live in a home on 100x80 with an inground pool. And guess what my home is NORTH of sunrise hwy. And I am not a prostitue or drug dealer. Actually I am a doctor to be who has plenty of professional friends in the area. And I have lived here for 10 years and moved to the area when I was 5, which was over 30 years ago. Amityville is a GREAT PLACE TO LIVE!!!

Do not run with the sterotypes. There are drug dealers and prostitutes in all areas...they just are called different names....

Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
It is affecting the Sunrise Mall, I've heard so many bad things about the place and haven't been there in years. It's a shame, back in the 90s that mall was still OK, now it's even worse than Green Acres, from what I hear. Anyone been there to see how bad it is?
I wonder if Sizzler is still there. I do believe it is related to it's location in East Massapequa and close to N.Amityville which is one of the most dangerous areas on Long Island.
Hardly anyone from Massapequa actually goes to Sunrise Mall anymore as a result. I was hoping the new Westfield owners would get a different mix of stores in to get rid of the ghetto crowd (like Walt Whitman did in S.Huntington).

Old 10-26-2008, 05:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It is affecting the Sunrise Mall, I've heard so many bad things about the place and haven't been there in years. It's a shame, back in the 90s that mall was still OK, now it's even worse than Green Acres, from what I hear. Anyone been there to see how bad it is?
I wonder if Sizzler is still there. I do believe it is related to it's location in East Massapequa and close to N.Amityville which is one of the most dangerous areas on Long Island.
Hardly anyone from Massapequa actually goes to Sunrise Mall anymore as a result. I was hoping the new Westfield owners would get a different mix of stores in to get rid of the ghetto crowd (like Walt Whitman did in S.Huntington).
What exactly did you hear? I hate malls and try to go to them as infrequently as possible, but it makes me laugh when people talk about "how bad" they are. They're freaking shopping malls, get a grip. There's nothing more sterile, safe, bland and disgusting on LI - even the "WORST" ones like Green Acres and Sunrise. Is the Smith Haven Mall bad too? I know there's a rap song about it.

For what it's worth, both of my parents (who are pushing 60) shop at Sunrise Mall and as far as I know have never been robbed, raped, beaten or killed. I don't think Sizzler is there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island