Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 PM

13 posts, read 58,091 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what they think of the "B" Section of Stony Brook. Considering a house there. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
It's a nice area, homes are kept up. Avoid Barnwell & Barker as they can be used as cut-throughs. Bonnie, too, but not as much. You're very close to 347 & Nicolls, so at certain times of the day, getting out of the neighborhood can be vexing.

There are no basements in these houses, so keep that in mind if you need storage or want extra space indoors for the kids or a home office.

I believe the children attend Mount elementary school and Murphy JHS.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp2006 View Post
Can anyone tell me what they think of the "B" Section of Stony Brook. Considering a house there. Thanks!!!!

Great area.

Avoid the cut through streets.

If I were to rate the Strathmores today my order would probably be.

S,H,B,P,0,Lake Grove,M,South Setuaket Park.

B and H are a coinflip.

Peace

Crooks

Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 AM

H is nice, however there are a few concerns -- a few houses have been built up; one on Hastings was sold to a Queens person who tried to turn it into a rooming house for his restaurant employees. The neighbors fought it and won.

Another area to look at is Long Hill. It's off of Stony Brook Road, Mills Road is the entry road. It is north of the entrance to the South P lot. Primarily owner occupied homes, one or two professional rentals, no student rentals. There's no cut through issues, there is a sense of pride in the neighborhood. There is a variety of housing stock and the homes have basements.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
H is nice, however there are a few concerns -- a few houses have been built up; one on Hastings was sold to a Queens person who tried to turn it into a rooming house for his restaurant employees. The neighbors fought it and won.

Another area to look at is Long Hill. It's off of Stony Brook Road, Mills Road is the entry road. It is north of the entrance to the South P lot. Primarily owner occupied homes, one or two professional rentals, no student rentals. There's no cut through issues, there is a sense of pride in the neighborhood. There is a variety of housing stock and the homes have basements.

I think the H is a little nicer for its small size and park.

Long Hill is pretty pricey as compared to Strathmore.
I wouldnt go with University hts.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I think the H is a little nicer for its small size and park.

Long Hill is pretty pricey as compared to Strathmore.
I wouldnt go with University hts.
H is getting the 'moving on up from Queens" syndrome. I have to give a ride through soon; it wouldn't surprise me to see some fucco in there. More trees coming down, more IROC types. The park has become more of an issue than a plus if you ask anyone who lives near it.

B has remained more humble.

University Heights -- blech. Fucco invasion, ugly 'mother-daughter' extensions, illegal apartments.

Long Hill has been coming in line with S. Currently there are three houses in Long Hill under 500K. One's $399K, the other $449K. They are both on Acorn near Beech Ln. The third is on Dogwood and is $470K.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
H is getting the 'moving on up from Queens" syndrome. I have to give a ride through soon; it wouldn't surprise me to see some fucco in there. More trees coming down, more IROC types. The park has become more of an issue than a plus if you ask anyone who lives near it.

B has remained more humble.

University Heights -- blech. Fucco invasion, ugly 'mother-daughter' extensions, illegal apartments.

Long Hill has been coming in line with S. Currently there are three houses in Long Hill under 500K. One's $399K, the other $449K. They are both on Acorn near Beech Ln. The third is on Dogwood and is $470K.
H is still pretty sweet.Moving on up outta Queens is more M and O.

Do check Long Hill and Toxicity maps.

I recall some issues thanks to Fairfield ands SUSB.

Crooks

Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
H is still pretty sweet.Moving on up outta Queens is more M and O.

Do check Long Hill and Toxicity maps.

I recall some issues thanks to Fairfield ands SUSB.

Crooks
H, M & O are moving on up zones. I have 5 friends and acquaintances in H -- their new neighbors are the "get rid of the grass and paver up the whole yard' type. Sometimes I feel like I am back in the old hometown -- it's got the Massapequa vibe. I leave wanting to go to All American. It's cruel in a way.

Toxics Targeting

According to this website, nothing terrible from Flowerfield. UHSB has some issues, though. If you have another site, I would like to have a look at it, too. DH's family has been in Long Hill for 40 years; everyone is healthy.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
H, M & O are moving on up zones. I have 5 friends and acquaintances in H -- their new neighbors are the "get rid of the grass and paver up the whole yard' type. Sometimes I feel like I am back in the old hometown -- it's got the Massapequa vibe. I leave wanting to go to All American. It's cruel in a way.

Toxics Targeting

According to this website, nothing terrible from Flowerfield. UHSB has some issues, though. If you have another site, I would like to have a look at it, too. DH's family has been in Long Hill for 40 years; everyone is healthy.
I rented in Long hill and Im still here...crazy but here.
Nice area.I remember people mentioning something about a plume there back in the day.

Sad to hear about the Pequa vibe comin to the 3vs.
Makes sense.
Western Suffolk....Nassau East

Crooks

Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I rented in Long hill and Im still here...crazy but here.
Nice area.I remember people mentioning something about a plume there back in the day.

Sad to hear about the Pequa vibe comin to the 3vs.
Makes sense.
Western Suffolk....Nassau East

Crooks
I have to call into my SIL. She would have been the first one to run! She's one of those 'the hamburger is pink, we'll die of e coli' people. She has raised several partially neurotic about hamburger children to adulthood.

When USB was looking to seize Flowerfield they sent in groups testing the old Gyrodyne buildings looking for something. They left the Gyrodyne section alone (everything west of the LIRR) and took the eastern portion through ED.

According to my Gyrodyne contact, they wouldn't take anything with any potential environmental problems. That written, if a plume traveled off of Flowerfield/Gyrodyne, it might have moved south towards University Heights as the eastern portion of Flowerfield stands between Gyrodyne and Long Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island