Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,600,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
Not for nothing, i have done alot of research, and RP seems to be great. It is not "rich", but it seems to be safe. Is there a part of RP that you are afraid to walk in? Where are all of these negatives coming from for RP?
I wouldn't sweat it.

I rented *gasp* in Rocky Point from 91-96 in what some people might consider the rough area. The area I lived in (Locust off Broadway) has improved since those days. My old house, the house next door, the house across the street, the house next door to it, the house around the corner have ALL undergone serious improvements since 96. During my time in the area, I saw bungalows being converted into bigger homes, derelict properties being rehabbed.

I thought nothing of walking and pushing a stroller from Locust by Magnolia across town to McCarricks and the PO Boxes. I used to walk to the laundromat on Broadway, too.

Back then there was some sketchy housing in the pockets between 25A and Prince, but that never stopped me from walking along Prince between Broadway and Harding (McCarricks.) There were some sketchy houses along King between Bway and Harding, too, and again, I had no reservations walking along the street.

What people have described on this thread (cars on blocks, unregistered, blah blah blah) I have seen in many areas on LI. Some people on this forum are trying to get Crooks' goat. Other people are talking without having actually lived in the area. My experience may be older, but I can drive back through my old neighborhood today and see the changes (all positive) which have occurred since my RP days.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,330,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wouldn't sweat it.

I rented *gasp* in Rocky Point from 91-96 in what some people might consider the rough area. The area I lived in (Locust off Broadway) has improved since those days. My old house, the house next door, the house across the street, the house next door to it, the house around the corner have ALL undergone serious improvements since 96. During my time in the area, I saw bungalows being converted into bigger homes, derelict properties being rehabbed.

I thought nothing of walking and pushing a stroller from Locust by Magnolia across town to McCarricks and the PO Boxes. I used to walk to the laundromat on Broadway, too.

Back then there was some sketchy housing in the pockets between 25A and Prince, but that never stopped me from walking along Prince between Broadway and Harding (McCarricks.) There were some sketchy houses along King between Bway and Harding, too, and again, I had no reservations walking along the street.

What people have described on this thread (cars on blocks, unregistered, blah blah blah) I have seen in many areas on LI. Some people on this forum are trying to get Crooks' goat. Other people are talking without having actually lived in the area. My experience may be older, but I can drive back through my old neighborhood today and see the changes (all positive) which have occurred since my RP days.

If Crookhave is consistant, he will point out your opinion is null and void because your info is 14 years old.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
If Crookhave is consistant, he will point out your opinion is null and void because your info is 14 years old.
Wouldn't that be considered counterintuitive as I stated there have been improvements with time?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't that be considered counterintuitive as I stated there have been improvements with time?

Well, yes. I'm just pointing out his lack of consistencey. Of course he wouldn't have a problem as long as you say something nice.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,682,065 times
Why don't we all have a great big group hug and sing the new song.... Kumbaya Rocky Point.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Well, yes. I'm just pointing out his lack of consistencey. Of course he wouldn't have a problem as long as you say something nice.
hmmmm...waiting to read Crooks take on this.

Playing Jeopardy theme song.

I'll take Rocky Point for $500 Alex.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM

I've done all I can to enlighten folks as to the joys of Rocky Point.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Why don't we all have a great big group hug and sing the new song.... Kumbaya Rocky Point.
Kumbaya is so last week...it's now the Rocky Point Polka!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM

4,694 posts, read 8,722,884 times
Quote:
hmmmm...waiting to read Crooks take on this.

Playing Jeopardy theme song.

I'll take Rocky Point for $500 Alex.
why exactly? do you think he's going to say something different this time? lol...

Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,119,354 times
Quote:
I wouldn't sweat it.

I would agree.

I came later but the changes have been very,very positive.

It was rough here in the 80s early 90s...much different town today.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island