Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arob View Post
Don't do it! Stay in Florida. I've been living on LI for over 28 years and watched it go drastically down. Overbuilding is an under statement. Come to my neighborhood 'The 5 Towns' where they are taking what once had 1 house on it and building 2-4 hideous houses that are maxed on the property. You could actually touch hands with your neighbor if you both stuck your hands out the window. They are like 6-8 stories high, you barely see the sun or sky. You feel like you're in the city or Brooklyn. No more beautiful landscaping. No more quaint homes. No more kids playing outside with each other(because the new comers won't dare let your devil child poison their child's mind). It's crazy over here! If you wear a sleeveless shirt or jeans(women) you are looked at with disgust! If you are driving on Saturday, beware of the herd of people walking in the middle of the street. They will not move for you because to them you shouldn't be driving anyway. You are no longer free to be you, especially if you are 'different'. The sickening part is that these are not people that were raised here on LI, they are the ones who just came from Brooklyn & Queens and conquered less than 5 years ago!!
While I feel for you and know how 5 Towns is changing, you can't say stay in FLA b/c LI is being overbuilt. FLA is one of the fastest growing, most overbuilt environment in the US today.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 AM

22 posts, read 69,651 times
I understand what everyone is saying. The fact is that everywhere is becoming heavily populated. The sad fact is that everyone can't live peacefully together. I don't want my neighbors to be just like me. What I expect and demand is the respect I give and deserve to live my life. I should not be shun upon because I am different. Especially being the fact I have been living here way before the people that have come here. They destroyed the beautiful place my parents struggled to live, to give me and my siblings a better life. I went to #6 school, Lawrence Middle school & High school. These were sought after schools and now they are what I am running away from. It upsets me that my children will never really know how promising this place once was. How EVERYONE once lived peacefully. It would not have been out of the norm back then to have children from totally different religions and backgrounds playing outside. Children are innocent, they poison the minds of kids now. Saturdays was always booming with life and stores in Cedarhurst. It was like an adventure. Now it's a ghost town. Try driving down Central Avenue now on Friday, it's a joke! Where the hell are the cops? They have every politician in their pocket. That's how they can build multiple ridiculous homes that look like buildings housing 50 people on 1 lot! The rules just went out the window! Where are the guidelines to protect the beautification of Long Island. To protect the sanctity that people sacrificed for to live in. Soon there will be nothing to distinguish from Queens to Long Island. You will never know when you've crossed over the line. I'm afraid of driving because if I end up not seeing someone dressed in all black walking in the middle of the street and hit them I will be locked up & accused for being a racist murderer. It's happening everywhere! I'm sure in 5 years EVERYONE on LI will feel the wrath of what I'm talking about. TRUE TRAGEDY!!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 AM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The county parks have been "citified", and continue to be neglected under Tom Suozzi, who now wants to sell most of what's left of the county park system to the towns.
... sick lunatic with an ego the size of Texas who wants to be known as the 21 century Robert Moses.
If the towns get hold of the parks they will sell large chunks of them to developers. They tried to steal a private golf course off the LIE via eminent domain in Manhasset to sell to a developer.
They then took and rezoned land in Manhasset to build a million SQ foot Jewish center for the Great Neck people. Its tax exempt but the Manhasset people will be stuck with its fallout, water treatment, traffic and not see a dime.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Welcome to hell on LI. This is HUGE in the 5 towns!! I live within walking distance to 4 HUGE temples/shuls. The schools are being run now by an all Orthodox Jewish school board, with no concerns for the public schools. They don't even hide their agenda.They are quite smug and obnoxious about the fact there is nothing we can do, legally. They are closing schools down. They are ending programs that made children appealing to colleges. This will not stop it will get worse. There is no limit to these people. They will continue to suck the life and money out of the system, which in turn sucks the life and money out of us innocent people. They want something for nothing. They feel it is their right and is owed to them. I'm truly surprised no one has lost their mind and done something to end up arrested. I'm leaving before I do. My sanity is more important.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
You're also fogetting the exorbitant transportation costs these people ring up busing the kids to Hebrew schools. It's a "right" to have them bussed. What a joke.

Well, one thing is for sure, they cluster in certain areas, so if you're not in 5 towns or Great Neck, right now, you don't see it. It's like other minority groups, same difference.

Why does is not seem like Westchester has the same types of issues?

Old 06-14-2007, 04:37 PM

They do. They actually did the same upstate in a couple of areas. They ran the people that were living there out by getting elected on the school board & voting down their budgets. They took total control as well as they did here. It's not just Great Neck and the 5 towns. It's slowly happening everywhere, Oceanside, Manhassett, Plainview, North Hempstead, and alot more I could go on and on. They are very discreet when they first come. They plant their seeds then out of nowhere they are everywhere taking over. By then it's too late to do anything about it. Mainly because no one wants to be labeled an Antisemite. That is the first thing they cry is antisemitism. That's what happened here. Even though the majority of the people that ended up battling with them are Jews themselves. They don't consider the reformed Jews, as Jews because they don't observe as they do. They look at me like I'm not because I choose to go out on a Friday night and drive my car on Saturdays. Anyone who doesn't look or practice as they do they want nothing to do with. It's ridiculous! I actually even had an orthodox woman tell me if it wasn't for the holocaust, her family would never have come here. She stated how her family loved their country but they had to come here. Mind you this woman was in her 30's so I couldn't understand why the hell she would bring the holocaust up as an excuse for being in this country she hated so much? I said if she felt so strongly she should go move to where her family came from.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
I visited last year and would never go back. Its overcrowded and overpriced.

Safer? well Nassau County has a well paid police force and you get a ticket for driving while talking on your cell.

Everyone has different thoughts but it looked like a quiet haven in the early 90's-now it looks like Queens to me.

sunny

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
hey John in westbury.... I live in Lake Panamoka!!! We LOVE it here, every night when I pull in my driveway & look at our lake across the street I thank god we moved here.
It is like paradise, I have great neighbors that care more about ME than what kind of car I drive. People are kind & down to earth. The homes are modest, the Pine Barrens are beautiful-we hike every weekend, year round! The lake is the "best kept secret on LI".
I work in Nassau & I would NEVER live there. If my area of Suffolk ever turns into that, I'm getting off LI.
There are afew great homes for sale in the neighborhood now!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:19 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
hey John in westbury.... I live in Lake Panamoka!!!I have great neighbors that care more about ME than what kind of car I drive. People are kind & down to earth
Panamoka Trail !
I know it well, reminds me of Roxbery in Breezy point !
All happy campers, Love it.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Is it safer now then it was 8 years ago?
Thats a pretty big generalazation! Are you speaking for "ALL" LI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island