Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Perhaps no crew. Perhaps the train can not leave the yard. LIRR is not geared to think about "saving" or "earning" money. They only think about running the Tooterville Trolley they call a railroad. It has nothing to do with financial management.
Are you sure the LIRR isn't actually run solely for the lifetime comfort and convenience of their union employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
Good for you. These drone's see the same people day in and day out, yet when one of them forgets their ticket they act as if they have never seen you. I firmly believe in what goes around comes around.
They definitely know who's who and a decent one will let a monthly ticket holder get by. To act otherwise, and then to add injury to insult by letting skells get away with it when they don't want to pays shows that particular ticket taker is a coward. I don't have a monthly ticket, but I ride the LIRR in the evenings maybe a few nights a week and the crew still knows me ... one of the regular ticket takers flirts shamelessly with me ...

Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... one of the regular ticket takers flirts shamelessly with me ...
Please, please..that visual...not pretty

Old 04-16-2010, 02:39 PM

^^^
He's actually not bad looking.

Now go eat your Snickers bar. It's time for your afternoon snack!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Almost time for the afternoon martini....or hit a dive bar and ask for a glass of vodka.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Almost time for the afternoon martini....or hit a dive bar and ask for a glass of vodka.
You'll actually DRINK out of one of their glasses?

You're safer with a bottled beer ... or the whole bottle of Vodka ...

Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Both sound good.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
The LIRR HAD a forgotten ticket policy. If you forgot your ticket, you bought one on board the train, and then they would refund it if you had proof of a monthly ticket. They did away with that for whatever reason a few years back. The have spotters on the train to see that they are collicting the fare.

As for not getting it from derelicts, if a passenger refuses to pay they are to call the Police, who has more to lose by arguring with them? Us or derelicts?

If they were interested in turning a profit we wouldnt be able to afford to use it. Before 1965 it WAS a private company that couldnt survive. Gov Nelson Rockerfeller deemed it too vital to the growing Long Island population's economy so he had the state purchase it wholly. This created the MTA. He also took over control of the TBTA so that 1/2 the toll revenue would fund mass transit. Robert Moses had control from the beginning of the TBTA. He used the revenue to build more roads and bridges. Since 1968 it's been a complete abandonment of the vehicular infrastructure. They need to find a middle ground.

It is more of a physically taxing job than you may realize. My father was a RR conductor (not LIRR) climbing on and off the train (from track level), throwing switches, in any weather, takes it;s toll on you. As well as walking the trains all day as they rock and bump really beats up your hip joints.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Both sound good.
I heard about this place on CL RnR:

Penny Lane Pub Star on Mastic Blvd. in Shirley

If you like dive bars, give it a try ...

Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Been there years ago. It's wasnt a bad bar at all. Pennies are embedded in the bar top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island