Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Is it just me or do others think its a disgrace that the LIRR wasnt running a single train today. How are people supposed to get to work in the city if the LIRR that we pay enormous amounts of money each and every month cannot get its act together in a snowstorm and run a single train?

We have snow every single winter and I think its a disgrace. What are we paying for??????
Miles of track to maintain in unforgiving, extremely windy, weather that puts the snow right back where it was. Not much snow on top of buildings or cars, it's all on the ground. They mention hundreds of workers around the clock. I think LIRR should release a video of what they do do or can do on days like yesterday (the snow day). It takes a day of clearer weather (like Monday) and now things are starting to run on a limited schedule. Not outrageous. You can't expect miracles regardless of how much you pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Miles of track to maintain in unforgiving, extremely windy, weather that puts the snow right back where it was. Not much snow on top of buildings or cars, it's all on the ground. They mention hundreds of workers around the clock. I think LIRR should release a video of what they do do or can do on days like yesterday (the snow day). It takes a day of clearer weather (like Monday) and now things are starting to run on a limited schedule. Not outrageous. You can't expect miracles regardless of how much you pay.

Well NJ got 30 inches of snow and they managed to have their trains up & running that same day. I understand we can't expect miracles but do you not think NJ was experiencing wind and snowdrifts too? Come on.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
[/b]

Well NJ got 30 inches of snow and they managed to have their trains up & running that same day. I understand we can't expect miracles but do you not think NJ was experiencing wind and snowdrifts too? Come on.
True NJ had a lot more snow. Did you get to work today, jdawg? I understand the entire Long Beach branch of the LIRR was still suspended.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
True NJ had a lot more snow. Did you get to work today, jdawg? I understand the entire Long Beach branch of the LIRR was still suspended.
I did! Thanks to dear old dad, he gave me a ride from my apt in Lb to merrick and I caught a Babylon train. By the way, did anyone in the LB area lose power this morning? There's outages in Lawrence, Atlantic Beach, Lido and Pt Lookout.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,136 times
Hi just want to say some one needs to check on the workers who sell the tickets at the Jamaica train station Long Island rail road they always have a nasty attiude so can someone please check fed up with the rude behaviour

Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisamohammed View Post
Hi just want to say some one needs to check on the workers who sell the tickets at the Jamaica train station Long Island rail road they always have a nasty attiude so can someone please check fed up with the rude behaviour
No one here can do more than you can about this, and that includes going to Jamaica to experience the rudeness themselvs.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM

113 posts, read 127,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisamohammed View Post
Hi--- I'm sure whatever country your from will be glad to take you back if the behavior of LIRR workers isnt up to your standards.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:31 PM

41 posts, read 71,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Hi--- I'm sure whatever country your from will be glad to take you back if the behavior of LIRR workers isnt up to your standards.

Brian really? Based on the guy's handle you can assume he's not an American? Wow. Brian your ignornace astounds me.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Hey, way to deflect the issue. I'll bet you're a regular com-ee-dian.

Seriously, you're comment is ridiculous.

While I'm at it, lot's of LIRR employees, ticket agents and conductors included are surly and rude. Believe me, they have nothing to be rude about. Fare payers are deeply gouged for what is at best, inconsistent service.

BTW, I'm from right here in the good 'ol US of A.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,249 times
why dont you people complaining drive your car to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island