Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,410 times

Advertisements

Glen Head is good town, good schools, not that far from highways, good sports programs, It's a good choice. Some patchs along Glen Head Road are ugly as can be but far from dangerous. Some rentals, aprtaments and some illegals thats all also by the train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,410 times
I agree with you on the whole idea of afforadable housing and illegals and crime and other stuff. Going back to Glen Head what do really think of it it's great town with good schools, just keep in mind that that the area near the train station and the dribble inn are a bit run down I don't if that a concern for you they might be slighty cheaper over there I know there's rentals, apartments and affordable housing in those area, but I have walked near there at all hours and bever felt unsure so idk it's up to you take a look at that area and make a an opinion.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
FYI mcmsinger, while it's laudable that you want to protect your mom, in the current economic environment, no area on Long Island is "safe" from home values declining. While values in so-called "better" areas may not have declined as much, all along the "Gold Coast" (and other hig-end locations) home values aren't what they were a few years ago--the decline may just not have been as severe as in other parts of Long Island.
in fact, an argument can be made that, in terms of absolute dollar value, the high-end area would be the "worst" hit area

Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM

80 posts, read 213,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
in fact, an argument can be made that, in terms of absolute dollar value, the high-end area would be the "worst" hit area
I agree.

No market is safe in a recession or depression. Higher-end areas are probably going to be hit pretty hard b/c everyone is concerned with downsizing, lower taxes, & lower mortgage payments. Not mention there can be fantasy/self-delusion involved in these areas since everyone thinks there home is worth a lot in these areas. I ALWAYS notice that sellers in these areas over-price their homes A LOT than the actual assessed value.

HOWEVER... One needs to be careful about the trend of a neighborhood. You need research whether the area is becoming run-down, losing it's standards and basically becoming a safe haven for illegal immigrant gangs, drug dealing and/or basically a negative environment/area.

The TREND is what I'm concerned about. Hempstead used to be to a GREAT town. They had shopping and it was basically the Americana mall back in the day.

Now their is high crime rates, illegals, run-down roads, unkept lawns, very high foreclosures rates, vacant homes, drug dealers and very dangerous violent gangs.

You can basically consider it a ghetto now. It has also developed into a urban city. Not really Long Island anymore. You have taxis all over the place.

Point I'm trying to make is that you also need to pay attention the TREND... Is the town having increased crime? Is the town starting to become run-down?

OR

Is the town starting to become much better in terms of businesses opening, new construction, roads being more taken care of etc etc etc...

Take Jericho for example. That town was a middle-class baby-boomer town and now that town is considered affluent. It's funny how things change.

Conclusion: If you buy a home in a area with it's trend leaning towards increased crime rates and lowered standards in general - you will lose MORE money than if you perhaps bought a home in a area that's maybe middle-class but it's showing signs of increasing standards.

That's why I am so anal about it's surrounding areas, what the people are like, income, business close by, geographic location, demographics, schools and overall quality of the neighborhood.

Surrounding areas I believe also has may have a impact on the town. Not always but it can have a positive or negative impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island