Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM

128 posts, read 340,559 times

Advertisements

I wish I were able to decide where my school tax money were to go, I would most certainly choose a catholic institution vs a public, this is not to say that the public school system is lacking (atleast where I was raised and currently live), quite the contrary.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
I find Catholic Schools A waste of money...I went to one for 12 yrs. Could have gotten the same education if not better in public school or private schol with out being brainwashed about ONE religion... I feell the whole part of growing up is learning about other religions and cultures. Okay for after school relgious studies but, dont make it a all day event.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
i don't know anything about herricks. i was responding to your "the majority of parents in LI,' you didn't say specifically for herricks, you went a hundred steps more and said majority of LI. that is what I am responding to. please read carefully what I and YOU write, don't contradict for the purpose of contradicting.
I did not go 'a hundred steps more'. I don't have to give statistics for everything I write. My experience is based on the special education services provided in many school districts on LI. Most parents that have an IEP for their child attend SEPTA and CPSE meetings regularly and are familiar with the better school districts for their children. We talk amongst ourselves about the topic at great length.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 6,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm not the least bit confused. I sent my oldest son to Chaminade and have utilized the public schools for all of my boys. There's a strong connection between property taxes and school districts.
So your oldest son goes to catholic school, and you pay for that. When he graduates, you don't pay for it anymore. When all of your kids graduate, you still pay taxes. School district affects home values, but not so much taxes. That's how poorer performing districts like Mineola have such a high spend per student.

Bottom line before you muddied the issue: there's something to be said for parents who choose to pay tuition to educate their children.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
alright. let me try to answer this. Getting a Bachelor's degree should be a given. Getting a Master's degree should be expected, getting a PhD should be a goal. You getting a B.S. is not a product of LI schools, it's something you should have done any way.
I am not a product of LI public schools. If you want the truth, I come from a war torn country, but was educated by (my humble opinion) best educators, maybe not best educated educators, but educators working for crumbs, making sure all children got a chance, and went beyond what they thought they could do.
Do I think that of LI public teachers? I would, if in this economy, saw hundreds of teachers, if not, all of them saying, economy is hurting all right now, we will take a pay cut to make sure, LIslanders don't get hit with higher taxes. that would show me commitment and love for their jobs and children they teach.
If the educational system was so great in this war torn country, why don't you live there and have your children educated by these selfless, devoted educators?

You are here for what? The best financial situation for yourself and family, right? Why not tell your employer that the economy is hurting, you wish to take a pay cut to make sure your chosen career field will continue to thrive despite the economy?

By no means am I arguing that our teachers are poorly compensated. However when you move to an area with schools you deem substandard, despite being warned beforehand, do you really get the right to complain?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triboro bridge View Post
School district affects home values, but not so much taxes. That's how poorer performing districts like Mineola have such a high spend per student.
I disagree. My sister lives in Mineola and pays a fraction of what I pay in property taxes. She knew the public schools in her district were lousy and is precisely why she sent her daughter to Corpus Christi and St. Mary's. She told me many times if she lived in my school district she never would've spent her money on Catholic schools. Lower taxes tends to equal sucky public schools and higher taxes tend to equal better public schools. There's a strong connection between school district quality and property taxes.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
I still have nightmares about Sister Eileen. She stood about six foot eight and patrolled classrooms with a Billy Club and a scrowl that scared the bejesus out of everyone.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM

128 posts, read 340,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
I find Catholic Schools A waste of money...I went to one for 12 yrs. Could have gotten the same education if not better in public school or private schol with out being brainwashed about ONE religion... I feell the whole part of growing up is learning about other religions and cultures. Okay for after school relgious studies but, dont make it a all day event.
How do you know they are a waste of money or that you would have received a better eduction if you never attended a public school during your middle school and high school years? Attending a catholic school in general gives one a competitive edge when it comes to applying to college. Do well in Chaminade and St Anothony's and you will have an edge compared to another kid that when to public schools, that's just the way it is.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
alright. let me try to answer this. Getting a Bachelor's degree should be a given. Getting a Master's degree should be expected, getting a PhD should be a goal. You getting a B.S. is not a product of LI schools, it's something you should have done any way.
Errr, no?

Millions of people do not have a college degree and haven't blown up from not having it, regardless of going to a private school system or not.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If the educational system was so great in this war torn country, why don't you live there and have your children educated by these selfless, devoted educators?

You are here for what? The best financial situation for yourself and family, right? Why not tell your employer that the economy is hurting, you wish to take a pay cut to make sure your chosen career field will continue to thrive despite the economy?

By no means am I arguing that our teachers are poorly compensated. However when you move to an area with schools you deem substandard, despite being warned beforehand, do you really get the right to complain?
judging from your posts, i would have expected a whole lot more from you. this 'why did you move here' response is OLD, not getting old, but VERY OLD.
people move to different places because of different reasons/needs. obviously, i can afford to pay for private and i am paying for private, but it might bother you to read someone say: LI schools are substandard. accept that my expectations are different than yours. what works for you may/and does NOT work for me. i won't respond to the rest of your post as find it very offensive. if you really truly are interested in why people have moved to this country since its discovery, i suggest picking up a few historical books. might do you well to read some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island