Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:46 PM

496 posts, read 1,247,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Errr, no?

Millions of people do not have a college degree and haven't blown up from not having it, regardless of going to a private school system or not.
again. i responded to you saying i went to LI public school and got a BS. right? i said getting a BS is the least one could do get. the least. so going to an LI public school has not given you more than going to a FL (proven) bad school districts. if you say LI public schools are the best, you should have gotten more. don't you think?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM

128 posts, read 339,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
Bachelor's degree should be a given. Getting a Master's degree should be expected, getting a PhD should be a goal. You getting a B.S. is not a product of LI schools, it's something you should have done any way.
Society places way too much emphasis on education when it comes to valuing ones place in this world. You are judged an idiot, lazy and/or stupid if you dont have a Bachelors degree. If you have a PhD or MBA or this or that bullcrap acronym then for whatever reason society believes you are a better person, one we can trust to teach our children, lead our corporations and run this country. Before Obama was elected I would hear it over and over again how he was educated at Harvard, this in turn led people to believe he would be a great president on this fact alone, so far we all know how that has turned out. The leaders of the "great" financial companies, the ones that went bankrupt and took the economy with them, well...they were run by MBA's and PhD's as well. Ill take a morally guided blue collar individual with a highschool diploma, over an IVY league educated BMW driving "Im smarter then you because I went to so and so" person any day of the week.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 6,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I disagree. My sister lives in Mineola and pays a fraction of what I pay in property taxes. She knew the public schools in her district were lousy and is precisely why she sent her daughter to Corpus Christi and St. Mary's. She told me many times if she lived in my school district she never would've spent her money on Catholic schools. Lower taxes tends to equal sucky public schools and higher taxes tend to equal better public schools. There's a strong connection between school district quality and property taxes.
Again, you're missing the point. I'm done trying to explain this to you, you are obviously too confused to understand that there are other variables involved in a tax base (ie: industry) which could lead to lower taxes for the best school district. Either way, you pay taxes because you live in an area, not because your kids use the school. You pay catholic school tuition because your kids are using the school. Parents who pay tuition are more likely to be involved (skin in the game).

Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM

712 posts, read 1,362,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl6 View Post
Anyone on here concerned about Catholic elementary schools in the area shutting down?
Probably because they saw the movie "Doubt"

Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM

496 posts, read 1,247,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
Society places way too much emphasis on education when it comes to valuing ones place in this world. You are judged an idiot, lazy and/or stupid if you dont have a Bachelors degree. If you have a PhD or MBA or this or that bullcrap acronym then for whatever reason society believes you are a better person, one we can trust to teach our children, lead our corporations and run this country. Before Obama was elected I would hear it over and over again how he was educated at Harvard, this in turn led people to believe he would be a great president on this fact alone, so far we all know how that has turned out. The leaders of the "great" financial companies, the ones that went bankrupt and took the economy with them, well...they were run by MBA's and PhD's as well. Ill take a morally guided blue collar individual with a highschool diploma, over an IVY league educated BMW driving "Im smarter then you because I went to so and so" person any day of the week.
not a better person. smarter, more knowledgeable, and more capable yes, not necessarily, a better person.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM

46 posts, read 94,535 times
Wow - this has gotten off topic. Thanks for all the info. Amityville taxes are very high because of the additional village tax, but still want to stay away from the public schools. So not sure of the correlation between taxes and schools. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford both the taxes and tuition. We just want to be in a nice tight-knit community which S. Amityville offers and be certain that our children will still get a good education.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,182,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl6 View Post
Wow - this has gotten off topic. Thanks for all the info. Amityville taxes are very high because of the additional village tax, but still want to stay away from the public schools. So not sure of the correlation between taxes and schools. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford both the taxes and tuition. We just want to be in a nice tight-knit community which S. Amityville offers and be certain that our children will still get a good education.
Then you need to contact the parochial schools you are interested in and ask them point blank if they have any plans to close or downsize in the future.

As for the correlation between property taxes and schools. Village taxes are usually relatively low (by LI standards). The major property tax is as follows: in general, property tax is split between the county and the school district your school is zoned for like this: 30-35% of that to the county and 65-70% to the school district. Of the school district's share, 85% goes to employee salaries, pensions and benefits. School districts that are "bad" are not cheaper in terms of property taxes than ones that are "good" because most of the budget is dictated by the union demands for their personnel and the unions believe that their personnel should be paid ever-increasing salaries, get a guaranteed 8% return on their pensions (and if the market is bad, the taxpayers have to pay more taxes), and superior benefits no matter how poorly their schools actually perform.

When you take a look at the salaries, retirement plans and benefits for PRIVATE schools, that parents pay tuition for, and PUBLIC schools, that all property owners pay for whether they use them or not, you will see a huge disparity in favor of the public school employees with no greater results (and sometimes worse results) in terms of what their "business" is supposed to be (education) than what the private schools offer.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-19-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,182,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
that's a bit different than letting the issue dominate the converstion and denouncing the whole institution...wouldn't you say?
Okay I see what you mean.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
judging from your posts, i would have expected a whole lot more from you. this 'why did you move here' response is OLD, not getting old, but VERY OLD.
people move to different places because of different reasons/needs. obviously, i can afford to pay for private and i am paying for private, but it might bother you to read someone say: LI schools are substandard. accept that my expectations are different than yours. what works for you may/and does NOT work for me. i won't respond to the rest of your post as find it very offensive. if you really truly are interested in why people have moved to this country since its discovery, i suggest picking up a few historical books. might do you well to read some.
And I should not consider your post to which I responded insulting?

You have admitted that you are not a product of any of the public schools in the USA, let alone those on LI, yet you see fit to pass judgment on them. It smacks of elitism. If an American were to relocate from here to your country, and that American berated the educational system there -- without any experience within it -- how would your countrymen react?

What data do you have that implicates all LI schools as substandard?

I will give you that there are some Americans who do not take education as seriously as their European or Asian counterparts, and that is very wrong.

As for why people have come to this continent since it's discovery -- by and large it has been for riches and/or a better life. I suspect that's why you've left your country of origin as well.

You've complained about where you live in the US. Why live here if you don't like it and you don't like the schools? It's a rather simple question that I ask of someone who has been rather vociferous in expressing his distaste for all things Long Island. I don't care how 'old' you consider the line of question to be; your incessant belittling of our schools, our Island, etc, has become 'old' as well.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
not a better person. smarter, more knowledgeable, and more capable yes, not necessarily, a better person.
It's always a hoot when a man of letters from a particularly well-known national institure calls us because his garage door won't open. One service call and a flip of the circuit and his door's operating again.

Better still when a high level admin from local institute of higher learning calls complaining a sub knocked out his Cable and internet service. He's raising a fuss, insisting a serviceman come to his location. Serviceman shows up, looks at the lines, calls CV and is told service is out in the area due to storm.

Telephone call 25 cents
Service call $100.00
Common sense - priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island