Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 AM

138 posts, read 489,829 times

Advertisements

I thought I would try to spruce up my parents deck will they are away for the weekend.

I'm looking for some consensus on what will get the best results.

It's about 10' x 15'. It shouldn't require any structure repair or wood replacement. Basically i want to clean it and probably stain it.

Should I sand it? (it is a bit rough in spots)

Powerwash? If so, how long does it need to dry out before doing any staining or sealing, or whatever?

If sanding and powerwashing, In what order should I do this?

Any suggestions for types of stains/sealers?

I'll have about 36 hour window to get things done. Hopefully the weather will be warm and dry this weekend.

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
I hope this helps.
Best Way - How Long Do You Wait After Power Washing a Deck to Put on Waterproofing? | eHow.com

As for sanding, I would sand before power washing. After power wash you don't want to be sanding the damp wood, also if the sanded spot could wind up lighter than the power washed spots around it. You would be stuck power washing again.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM

284 posts, read 981,822 times
powerwashing raises the grain and creates splinters

Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
powerwashing raises the grain and creates splinters
Only if done improperly. We power washed my cedar deck last year after 12 years of weathering. No splinters.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,326,179 times
You can buy deck brightener from HD/Lowes. Spray it on, rinse off. Olympic makes it.
Deck does need to be bone dry before you can stain though. In this cool weather, I would say at least 2 days of rain free weather.
You really shouldn't powerwash wood but everyone does anyway.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM

284 posts, read 981,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Only if done improperly. We power washed my cedar deck last year after 12 years of weathering. No splinters.
How many people you know that know how to properly power wash word ?
A lot of people have a tendency of getting too close to the surface and damaging it , i agree with you if it is done right . My deck (cca) was power washed every year from the previous owners and the only thing i can do is apply a solid paint to keep my kids from a painful splinter

Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 AM

176 posts, read 473,078 times
to be done well it is NOT a weekend project unfortunately. I used Zikkens paint on my deck since it was already painted. Good stuff and I am sure they make a good stain. Bottom line, when refinishing decks preparation is 90% of the job if you want it done right. I guarantee you, not doing it right is not worth it. IF you want to get it done this weekend I would not consider powerwashing as it will not dry properly. Renst a big sander and go at it, along with a hand and broom sander, it aint pretty work at all, then you need to leaf blow, tack dry, or sweep the deck well.........then stain. Oh ywah and if that does not sound fun enough, do not forget the spindles for the railing and banister. I've done it ( on a 18X6 small deck) and I would not do it again. I would pay someone else to do it....it is not worth the time. I 'tried' to do it right and it came out well, but I would guess it took me a full 48+ hours of work over say 4-5 random weekends....painfull work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island