Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are LI Private Schools a Waste of Money?
Yes 41 31.30%
No 90 68.70%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,475,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captshiner View Post
a graduate of kellenberg 03', id say a waste of money based off the education quality. teachers were hired because they were former students, because there husbands knew the director the xxx department, etc. great way to hire

i had multiple teacher changes throughout the 4 years during the middle of trimesters, 2 classes actually had 3 teacher changes in a year. 2 of those classes being a math and science, and it was definitely clear in my college classes i was behind.

hopefully since then they've realized what comes first in the school. because canceling a prom isn't one of them.
I went to Kellenberg too, and I thought it was total crap. I switched back to my local public school district (Levittown - which I'm sure no one considers "great") and it was superior in every possible way. Better teachers, much smaller classes (Kellenberg felt like sardine cans), much less drugs...and I hated those uniforms LOL. Taking 47 different buses to get to and from school was a joke, too.

I dunno, does the "name" really mean something? In my experience, the best way to get into a good college is to just be smart....get good grades, ace those SATs - and then it won't matter what name high school you went to. If the deciding factor on whether someone gets into a certain college or gets a job later in life is based on the name of the high school they went to, well then I think that's really unfortunate for anyone who was much more qualified.

Not worth it, IMO. In fact, it's an enormous waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

Also....what's up with this poll LOL. Last night when I went to sleep, it was 8-7 in favor of "Yes"....first time I checked the board today and it's 11-52?!? Somebody had to have sent this link to the staff of a private school or something hahah....I've never even seen a poll on here get this many votes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,193,220 times
I voted no on your poll and here's why. Because it depends. For the most part, I agree with you that if people are sending their kids to private school because they think their public district is not good enough, except in maybe 10 districts, I would say it's a waste of money.

However, for people who send their kids to private schools for religious reasons, to carry on a family tradition of attending that school, for connections, etc., I would say, yes, it is worth it to that family.

Actually private schools are also useful because they could teach (by example) school boards of public schools that they don't need to kowtow to the outrageous demands of the unions in order to get qualified teachers.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,311,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Also....what's up with this poll LOL. Last night when I went to sleep, it was 8-7 in favor of "Yes"....first time I checked the board today and it's 11-52?!? Somebody had to have sent this link to the staff of a private school or something hahah....I've never even seen a poll on here get this many votes!!!
LOL !
I think if we have doubts, they should be able to show who voted (not what they voted for, but who voted).....
If we see a bunch of anonymous users or "just joined" users, then you will be able to prove your theory right !

Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM

128 posts, read 339,374 times
The odd thing is , a good majority of those that went to Chaminade/St. Anthony come from wealthy areas with very good schools. I think a small percentage of those that attend these schools go because their local public schools aren't up to par. Lets be honest, if a parent can't afford to buy a good home in a good neighbor with a good school, what makes someone think they will be able to send their kids to a private school (unless they were to receive scholarship)??

Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,193,220 times
Quote:
a graduate of kellenberg 03', id say a waste of money based off the education quality. teachers were hired because they were former students, because there husbands knew the director the xxx department, etc. great way to hire

i had multiple teacher changes throughout the 4 years during the middle of trimesters, 2 classes actually had 3 teacher changes in a year. 2 of those classes being a math and science, and it was definitely clear in my college classes i was behind.

hopefully since then they've realized what comes first in the school. because canceling a prom isn't one of them.
The public schools are probably even worse when it comes to how they hand out the jobs ... seriously ... same types of complaints abound, but nobody does anything about it because of who's connected and who's not.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,475,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I voted no on your poll and here's why. Because it depends. For the most part, I agree with you that if people are sending their kids to private school because they think their public district is not good enough, except in maybe 10 districts, I would say it's a waste of money.

However, for people who send their kids to private schools for religious reasons, to carry on a family tradition of attending that school, for connections, etc., I would say, yes, it is worth it to that family.

Actually private schools are also useful because they could teach (by example) school boards of public schools that they don't need to kowtow to the outrageous demands of the unions in order to get qualified teachers.
Religious reasons didn't even cross my mind when I started this poll. After Walter's reply I was gonna say something like "OK, well for everyone who isn't divinely required to live, breathe and sleep Judaism" but I figured it would sound mean....

So with that said, for future voters....don't even factor religion into your decision. I should have been more clear. This is only a poll for the secular and atheists of Long Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
LOL !
I think if we have doubts, they should be able to show who voted (not what they voted for, but who voted).....
If we see a bunch of anonymous users or "just joined" users, then you will be able to prove your theory right !
I think there was actually an option for that, I should have checked it off!

Normally I would think such a conspiracy theory is nuts, but I've never seen a poll get this much action in such a short amount of time....while also having so few replies.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM

87 posts, read 227,261 times
Quote:
I went to Kellenberg too, and I thought it was total crap. I switched back to my local public school district (Levittown - which I'm sure no one considers "great") and it was superior in every possible way. Better teachers, much smaller classes (Kellenberg felt like sardine cans), much less drugs...and I hated those uniforms LOL. Taking 47 different buses to get to and from school was a joke, too.
the big claim is

a) you graduate from kellenberg/any catholic HS you apparently have a huge advantage over public school when it comes to getting into college. umm, yearh, maybe if its a catholic university thats in love with catholic school students.

b)better chance of succeeding in a career or life or what have you

i can tell you people in my kellenberg graduating year of 03 or others I know with graduating 2 or 3 years before or after me have had no real difference in getting into schools and/or eventually with better careers or jobs

sorry.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM

128 posts, read 339,374 times
Quote:
the big claim is

a) you graduate from kellenberg/any catholic HS you apparently have a huge advantage over public school when it comes to getting into college. umm, yearh, maybe if its a catholic university thats in love with catholic school students.

b)better chance of succeeding in a career or life or what have you

i can tell you people in my kellenberg graduating year of 03 or others I know with graduating 2 or 3 years before or after me have had no real difference in getting into schools and/or eventually with better careers or jobs

sorry.

You dont have a huge advantage but you do have an advantage. There is absolutely no disputing that. Chaminade and St. Anthony's you have to apply, public school you do not. That fact alone raises the bar.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,398,036 times
Quote:
the big claim is

I think this is true for the most part. My sister was under the illusion that her daughter graduating from St. Mary's would be overly impressive to art colleges. Her daughter wound up going to FIT and I doubt they cared that she went to a Catholic HS! My sister's desire for her daughter to attend a Catholic HS was just a classic case of a parent living through their kid. My sister basically got kicked out of a Catholic elementary school because she couldn't keep up with the work. There was no Catholic HS for her way back when so her daughter just HAD to go to St. Mary's. Whatever!

I do think schools like Chaminade and Regis are exceptions. These schools are most definitely impressive to colleges.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:45 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,714,743 times
Quote:
well I would imagine schools like Kellenberg might not be worth the money if you're coming from a decent district. where would Kellenberg even rank among all LI districts? Would it even crack the top 30? And just out of curiosity, but why didn't you try Trinity?

Quote:
I dunno, does the "name" really mean something? In my experience, the best way to get into a good college is to just be smart....get good grades, ace those SATs - and then it won't matter what name high school you went to. If the deciding factor on whether someone gets into a certain college or gets a job later in life is based on the name of the high school they went to, well then I think that's really unfortunate for anyone who was much more qualified.
it depends on the college, but yes....your high school can help/harm you in a big way.

Quote:
Not worth it, IMO. In fact, it's an enormous waste of money as far as I'm concerned.
including all private schools in one category obviously doesn't make sense when there are huge disparities between them. Just like saying are LI school district taxes worth it when those districts encompass everything from Roosevelt to HHH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island