Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone in this forum can help me with this question. Just want to be clear - I am not looking for Handicapped Parking Plates - just the permit you hang from your rearview mirror.

To keep it short, my Mom is 87 and walking virtually any distance is a really slow and, at times, painful situation. I do all her shopping, so that is not the issue. The problem arises when I need to take her to medical appointments. I generally resolve the issue by dropping her off at the entrance and then I dash off to get a spot - but this is not always possible (not a seating area for her, impossible to reverse out of the entrance, etc.).

I wanted to look into getting a Handicapped Parking Permit and thought my first stop would be the DMV to get the application followed by a visit to her GP to sign the document and provide whatever medical evidence is required. I am being told by a friend, however, that you get the Permit from the Township where the patient is located. Seeing that my parents are in Massapequa Park, that would be the Town of Oyster Bay.

So basically my question is: Do any of you know where one would apply for a Handicapped/Disabled Parking Permit - is it the DMV or is it the Town? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Try the Town Clerk -- according to the website, parking falls under licensing. If they can't help, they might be able to give you the person who can. 624-6329

Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks. I'll give them a call in the morning. Much appreciated!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
You're welcome!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Go to your town Handicap Services office. They will give you an application. It has to be filled out -- part by you/your mom and the other part filled out and signed by her doc. Bring it back to the Handicap Services office (your mom HAS TO BE PRESENT!) and they will issue you the permit the same day.

It will have a serial number and the last 3 digits will be written in by the person at the office. Those last 3 numbers will be the last 3 of your mom's driver license or non driver ID (or whatever ID she has). It can only be used when she is in the car with you. If you attempt to use it for your own purposes, you will get fined and the permit will be revoked.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Go to your town Handicap Services office. They will give you an application. It has to be filled out -- part by you/your mom and the other part filled out and signed by her doc. Bring it back to the Handicap Services office (your mom HAS TO BE PRESENT!) and they will issue you the permit the same day.

It will have a serial number and the last 3 digits will be written in by the person at the office. Those last 3 numbers will be the last 3 of your mom's driver license or non driver ID (or whatever ID she has). It can only be used when she is in the car with you. If you attempt to use it for your own purposes, you will get fined and the permit will be revoked.

Great information - thanks!

Reps to you

Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

Thanks for the great information. That office is actually close to her doctor's office, so it will work out well! Now I will just have to do a hunt for her passport when I get out there (she never had a license). I honestly have no use for it myself since I live in NJ and the car is kept in a garage other than for my visits home to LI. Not to mention me taking a handicapped parking spot while by myself would feel akin to stealing money from the poor box in church! Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island